D&D 5E Booming Blade seems a bit powerful

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say - that last part about advantage is particularly confusing.

Either way, you are not wrong. Both Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are exceptionally powerful compared to the other Cantrips. Only Eldritch Blast with its associated Invocations and Thunderclap (and the SCAG version of Thunderclap) can compete with them. Obviously the latter is only competitive with a significant number of enemies in range.

There is no advantage mate.

If the target moves from his space he takes the extra damage. He's not paralysed. As long as he stays where he is (in the same square if youre using a battlemap) he can fight normally.

By 'move' the spell means 'move 5' or more'.

The text explicitly says that the target cannot move without taking extra damage. No, the target is not restrained - the target can move and take the extra damage - but to avoid the extra damage the target must remain still. In which case everyone attacking that target gets Advantage on their attacks.

No, the target cannot move (as in move 5' or more). It has to remain in the same space, but can otherwise fight and cast spells and move around in that space as normal.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/does-booming-blade-movement-refer-only-to-overland-movement/

Jeremy Crawford [MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford When booming blade refers to moving, it means movement in the game's normal sense: moving X feet. https://twitter.com/hashtag/DnD?src=hash

brehobit

Explorer
It is very powerful for a rogue. Probably worth a dip into an arcane class after level 5 rogue. Or maybe taking a feat to get the cantrip.

I think it's moderately weak for everyone else.

a) Most casters aren't going to have a particularly high STR or DEX, at least compared to their caster stat. So they will be better off with most cantrips that directly use their caster stat.

b) Most martial characters get multiple attacks, which just doesn't work with this cantrip. They are generally best off taking their multiple attacks.

But for a rogue, it's generally one attack. If you have a spare bonus action, fighting with two weapons becomes tempting (just to make it more likely to get your backstab damage in). But if you are dodging around combat (as rogues are wont to do), the spell is a nice power up.

A bit weird, but there you are. It's basically great for rogues and generally moderate-to-weak for everyone else.

It is very powerful for a rogue. Probably worth a dip into an arcane class after level 5 rogue. Or maybe taking a feat to get the cantrip.

I think it's moderately weak for everyone else.

a) Most casters aren't going to have a particularly high STR or DEX, at least compared to their caster stat. So they will be better off with most cantrips that directly use their caster stat.

b) Most martial characters get multiple attacks, which just doesn't work with this cantrip. They are generally best off taking their multiple attacks.

But for a rogue, it's generally one attack. If you have a spare bonus action, fighting with two weapons becomes tempting (just to make it more likely to get your backstab damage in). But if you are dodging around combat (as rogues are wont to do), the spell is a nice power up.

A bit weird, but there you are. It's basically great for rogues and generally moderate-to-weak for everyone else.

OTOH I see a LOT of TWF Rogues. Two swings = two chances to land a sneak attack.

The trade off with booming blade is you can only make the one attack. TWF is not compatable with the cast a spell action (which booming blade requires). Deals more damage on a hit, but you only get one chance to land it.

I reckon you would probably have a higher DPR with TWF than with Booming blade.

If youre going shield and rapier for the +2 to AC it would be OK. But thats about it.

Ganymede81

First Post
comparing Fire Bolt to Booming Blade is like comparing Fire Bolt to Mage Hand.

I feel that's hyperbole.

While it wouldn't be a perfect comparison, it is not that difficult to compare and contrast different attack cantrips.

The DMG already informs us that 1d10 damage is a baseline for cantrips; that can be seen in Fire Bolt and Eldritch Blast. We then have Poison Spray, a cantrip where the designers indicated that a drastically reduced range is worth an upgrade to 1d12. Another cantrip, Acid Splash, indicates that the ability to hit adjacent targets is worth a drop to 1d6 damage. It is rough and dirty math, but one could say that combining both elements would result in a baseline damage of 1d8.

Greenflame blade, one of the SCAG cantrips and a cantrip meeting the description above, indeed has a 1d8 damage die. On the other hand, it has a number of additional benefits. Chief among them is the ability to do an additional ability modifier of damage to the initial target. Additionally, this cantrip stacks with everything else that would enhance a melee attack: magic weapons, divine strike, sneak attack, battle magic, magic spells, et. al.; other attack cantrips are rarely ever so lucky.

Those are some sweet, sweet bennies for a spell we'd expect to do 1d8 damage per tier.

The scenario you outline, using TWF as a way to increase your chances of getting a sneak attack, only provides a benefit in outcomes where the primary attack misses but the secondary attack hits. In any other outcome, ignoring the minor pip of damage from the off-hand weapon, it is no different from using cunning action in lieu of an off-hand attack.

That outcome only represents a small percentage of outcomes, meaning that extra chance at sneak attack damage only represents a small increase in average damage.

Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
OTOH I see a LOT of TWF Rogues. Two swings = two chances to land a sneak attack.

The trade off with booming blade is you can only make the one attack. TWF is not compatable with the cast a spell action (which booming blade requires). Deals more damage on a hit, but you only get one chance to land it.

If youre going shield and rapier for the +2 to AC it would be OK. But thats about it.

As I said, I've seen rogues pretty commonly use their cunning action to move around. So if you are planning on doing that in a given round (because you need to get out of melee or die for example), it's also worth it. But I do like the rapier and shield bit too.

Yeah I should have been more clear and have edited above. But to be fair, I've never seen a warlock without Agonizing Blast. And I've seen enough Warlocks that it almost feels like a given with the class.

I've seen (multiclassed)warlocks without Agonizing Blast. E.g. Shadow Monk 6/Warlock 2 with Eldritch Sight and Devil's Sight. What I haven't seen is a warlock after first level with Eldritch Blast but no Agonizing Blast.

Ganymede81

First Post
What I haven't seen is a warlock after first level with Eldritch Blast but no Agonizing Blast.

My warlock has Eldritch Blast without Agonizing Blast. He gets stabby with a pact rapier and the Mobile feat, reserving Eldritch Blast for occasions when he's out of reach of the foe.

Remove ads