Shield bashing -- a large shield is a light weapon?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Just curious about this. According to the Player's Handbook, a Large Shield is consdidered a light weapon.

Is there errata on this? It doesn't sound right to me.

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
Yes, a 10-15 lb. "light" weapon that can cover about half your body does seem a bit odd. I haven't heard any errata or clarifications to the contrary, however. Sometimes common sense and the rules just can't "play nice" together.;)

The Souljourner

First Post
It's a light weapon because they wanted people to be able to fight with a shield as an offhand weapon without ridiculous penalties. Has nothing to do with realism :)

-The Souljourner

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
It isn't the weight that makes it a light weapon. It's that it is meant to be used on your off hand.

Actually, it's weapon SIZE that makes a weapon "light" for a character. I don't think the off hand has anything to do with it, other than that's where a "light" weapon works better than one that isn't. Last time I checked, a large shield is bigger than a lot of the "medium" weapons, let alone the small ones, which would be considered light for a medium sized creature. This game mechanic is purely for the fantasy crowd, of which I'm a happy member. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
When are the situations that a "light weapon" is important?

1. Attacking with two weapons.
2. Grappling.
3. Weapon Finesse.

Are there any others?

-Hyp.

Remove ads