Build-wise, what's rare in the AL?

Byakugan

First Post
I haven't seen any frenzy barbarians in AL yet. One person did talk about rebuilding into 1, but I pointed out how terrible it was so he chose differently.

Only thing worse than frenzy barb in AL is BM ranger! Well...anything that wants to use summon or polymorph is also terrible.

Last edited:

DocSharpe

Explorer
Only thing worse than frenzy barb in AL is BM ranger! Well...anything that wants to use summon or polymorph is also terrible.
You say that...but I've found a few players who love playing their BMs. It's not an optimized option by any stretch, but they aren't complaining.

And polymorph? You might be using that spell wrong. I have singlehandedly trivialized numerous boss fights with that spell.

kalani

First Post
I agree. Polymorph (Giant Ape) creates an instant wrecking ball that has helped change the tide of many a battle. Even in the worst case scenarios, the 157HP has kept my wizard alive while at near death, or has given the party a huge buffer so that we can last out the extra 2-3 rounds of combat we need in order to get the upper hand (esp. if we can get the enemy to focus fire on the ape due to walling them).

Byakugan

First Post
You say that...but I've found a few players who love playing their BMs. It's not an optimized option by any stretch, but they aren't complaining.

And polymorph? You might be using that spell wrong. I have singlehandedly trivialized numerous boss fights with that spell.

i kinda added that on without fully explaining. The Polymorph spell itself is fine. But that is only because the scaling is broken. Wild shape on the other hand...or ANY high level summoning spell or polymorph spell. Shapechange, true polymorph. Sorry, you can still only ever polymorph into giant apes and summon gargoyles or mephits. The DM however uses the same exact spells and the DM can turn npcs into Trexes, elemental myrmidions, and dragons.

I dont really need to defend the BM point. Its terrible, whether or not it can be fun to roleplay.

DocSharpe

Explorer
i kinda added that on without fully explaining. The Polymorph spell itself is fine. But that is only because the scaling is broken. Wild shape on the other hand...or ANY high level summoning spell or polymorph spell. Shapechange, true polymorph. Sorry, you can still only ever polymorph into giant apes and summon gargoyles or mephits. The DM however uses the same exact spells and the DM can turn npcs into Trexes, elemental myrmidions, and dragons.

Yes, but you can also polymorph the CR 10 bad guy (or the CR 5 lieutenant who is only there to keep the party from focusing on the BBEG or to give the BBEG some buff) into a box turtle. This is brutal if you also have the ability to debuff the target's saving throws (or have a diviner in the party). YMMV (and your experience seems to have been negative towards it), but it's a pretty versatile spell.

Not going to dispute your BM ranger point at all...they are certainly underpowered. But since the OP wanted to know what was rare, I was just pointing out that I've seen a bunch in AL even though BMs are considered to be underpowered.

Byakugan

First Post
Yes, but you can also polymorph the CR 10 bad guy (or the CR 5 lieutenant who is only there to keep the party from focusing on the BBEG or to give the BBEG some buff) into a box turtle. This is brutal if you also have the ability to debuff the target's saving throws (or have a diviner in the party). YMMV (and your experience seems to have been negative towards it), but it's a pretty versatile spell.

Not going to dispute your BM ranger point at all...they are certainly underpowered. But since the OP wanted to know what was rare, I was just pointing out that I've seen a bunch in AL even though BMs are considered to be underpowered.

Box turtle is not a legal creature choice for PCs in AL...you could do a toad though!

It does come down to preference in the end. The list of BBEGs I usually see that arent outright immune to things like polymorph tend to always have Magic Resistance, or are spell-casters(ie wis is one of their best saves), or they have legendary saves. Mages, priests, nearly every 'boss' and lieutenant in season 1 2 and 3. I prefer to use an arcane eye and have mostly free dungeon maps. Its like time-travel in AL. or if I want to use a save or lose spell I prefer banishment. Targets charisma and has a lot of upside against mid-tier outsiders. There are several ways to give targets disadvantage on dex saves, but hardly any work on mental saves. I've never actually seen a PC cast the bane spell. Bless is just so much better.

Diviner is widely considered to be one of the most broken abilities in 5e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases