Monk/Druid Multiclass Confusion

Baumi

Adventurer
A friend of mine is a bit frustrated with his Monk (but mainly because of his awful luck ;) ) and is wondering if multiclassing to a Moon Druid would be a good Idea.

He asked me what he could use in animal form and what would stack, which I couldn't answer...

Unarmored defense,
Martial arts (Tigerclaw-Style ;-) ),
Unarmored movement,
Flurries + extra Effekte vom Way of the Open Hand
Extra Attack,
Stunning Strike,
Slow fall ...

RulesJD

First Post
Unarmored defense - Yes. Use beast's Dex mod + your wisdom mod
Martial arts (Tigerclaw-Style ;-) - No. Requires use of a Monk or Unarmed strike, which most beast do not have
Unarmored movement - Yes
Flurries + extra Effekte vom Way of the Open Hand - No. Requires use of a Monk or Unarmed strike, which most beast do not have
Extra Attack - Unsure, anyone know the answer to this one?
Stunning Strike - ...Maybe? Requires use of a "melee weapon attack" which I would count for beast attacks
Slow fall - Yes

I agree with most of what RulesJD said, except for the part about unarmed strikes. The definition of unarmed strikes includes the use of head butts. As long as your wildshape form has a sizeable head, you can head butt with it. Therefore you can make unarmed strikes while wildshaped.

mellored

Legend
Unarmed Defense: Yes, but it replaces the beasts armor. So either 10+Dex+Wis OR whatever the best says. Not beast armor + Wis.

Martial Arts: Yes, if you can convince your DM that a bear is unarmed. Claws and bites are not monk weapons. So it would be doing the same 1d4+Str/Dex damage as basic monk would (with modified Str/Dex). Personally i allow it.

Movement: Yes.

Flurry: Yes, assuming you can use unarmed strike.

Extra Attack: Yes. Though this not the same actions that the beast has. So it's probably best to use it with unarmed strike.

Stunning Strike: Yes. Beast attacks count as melee weapon attacks. (though i think great apes have a ranged attack).

Slowfall: Yes.

zaratan

First Post
RAI by Jeremy Crawford, you can't have a extra attack if you use multiattack action, because extra attack need "attack action", that in fact most beasts doesn't have.

I think this is stupid and house ruled different, if you attack, you can have one new attack with extra attack. Doesn't unbalances nothing. The same way mellored commented

1 lvl of awakened mystic is just fantastic to a moon druid too, but you'll need int 13.

zaratan

First Post
What does 1 level of Awakened Mystic do for a Moon Druid?

2 more skill prof.
double skill athletic (grapple and shove)
darkvision 30 feet, you can cast it every 1h and will work in beast form, since is a effect, not racial. But you can't cast while in wild shape.
Thought Spear while in druid form. 1d8 psychic damage 120 feet. But the DC is Int base, so, not really good.
Mind Meld (telephaty while in druid form).
2 diciplines, you can focus in one of that and can change with bonus action (you can stay focus in wild shape, but can't change). You can't spend psi points in wild shape.
I recommend:
Celerity - focusing: your speed increase 5 feet, you have advantage in iniciative and if you're surprise, you can spend 1 psi point and no longer be surprise.
with 2 psi point can use a bonus action to increase speed to 30 feet and don't provoke AoO this turn. Or spend 1 to 2 psi and use your reaction to win or give to an ally +2 in iniciative per psi point.

Psionic Weapon: focusing, you can make your first (or maybe another part) a magical weapon +1 (yes, you can stay focused in that in wild shape).
for 1 to 2 psi points, you can add 1d10 psychic in the melee attack damage (not in wild shape).
you have Ethereal Weapon too, but will be your Int base DC, so not good.
you get 4 psi points day.

stay always focused in celerity and change later to psionic weapon (If in the middle of combat, you will delay your wild shape 1 turn, since both are bonus action).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Actually no. Psionics aren't spells so unless either it or wildshape says you can't, you can change focus in wild shape as easily as out.
Additionally saying you can't spend psi points in wildshape is just outright false.

Last edited:

Remove ads