D&D 5E [RAVENLOFT] [5e] Death House OOC

industrygothica

Adventurer
Need to hear from IG if Undying Light is an acceptable patron (UA- https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf). If so, I've got some interesting character ideas. If not, Cthulhu. Because what is a little Strahd when someone has stared at Shub-Niggurath, the Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young?

I want to let you use Undying Light, but it just seems a bit overpowered to me. Specifically, the damage resistance and Searing Vengeance are my concern. I think I'm going to let you use it because I want to see it in action, but just know that I have my reservations.

I need to take a look at the Unearthed Arcana articles, too. I built Girri without them.

And I need to get [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION]'s reaction to Girri's bladed scarf, which is a Pathfinder Curse of the Crimson Throne weapon listed in the player's guide for that adventure path. I think the 1d6 damage and weapon description (blades woven into the scarf) are probably ok, at least insofar as they're in line with other cleric weapons. But I'm feeling unsure about the 10' reach of the scarf, and would like DM input there. Not my intent to ask for special favors...it's hard on a DM when players do that.

I wonder if lowering the damage to 1d4 would balance it better. Add the finesse and reach properties, and it's basically a re-skinned whip, but we'll call it a simple weapon instead of martial so that Girri has proficiency. Does that seem fair to you?

I wonder if lowering the damage to 1d4 would balance it better. Add the finesse and reach properties, and it's basically a re-skinned whip, but we'll call it a simple weapon instead of martial so that Girri has proficiency. Does that seem fair to you?
Yes, that seems (more than) fair.

Full disclosure, I was prepared to spend a feat to get the reach property and weapon proficiency (I'd have had to create a custom feat to do it, though). If you think balance is best achieved by my spending the feat to accomplish proficiency with the bladed scarf as a reach weapon, I will do so. Right now, Girri has the Observant feat. Mainly because it fits the flavor of her being a street rat, but also for the shameless bump to Wisdom (her primary stat). Still, the bladed scarf is more important to my concept for Girri than is the bump to Wisdom, so if I need to spend her feat on it, I will. You'll let me know?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Absolutely, if I go with a Paladin, it will be LG (Devotion) or NG (Ancients). He'd be full Pureheart, following a halfling divinity.

I'm not sure my idea will work -- I was hoping to use a sling, but I see the smite damage can't work.

Arguably, though, throwing daggers would:
They're melee weapons (and so should qualify for "melee weapon attack" for Smite)
They they make ranged attacks (and so should benefit form Close Quarters shooter since they're "ranged attacks").

even still, it's a pretty circuitous build, and for a sliver a fighter/rogue might be better.

Still thinking.

Yavathol

Explorer
Yes, you'd lose the smite damage but that just means you can use the slots on spells. Branding smite can be used with ranged weapons. Paladins get some cool abilities that you couldn't get by multiclassing fighter/rogue.. Just playing devil's advocate since I think it's a cool idea! :)

industrygothica

Adventurer
No worries! Totally your call. Since I haven't played a Warlock, it's all coming up Milhouse.

So, your call-
A. Undying Light, with the acknowledgement that some abilities may be modified in the future during gameplay.
B. Old Ones (CTHULHU), as is.

I'm good either way. Tell me your preference, and I'll start with the chargen. I've got wildly disparate character ideas for each.

If it's all the same to you, then, go ahead and use the Old Ones, just to lessen the resources I have to study. :)

Yes, that seems (more than) fair.

Full disclosure, I was prepared to spend a feat to get the reach property and weapon proficiency (I'd have had to create a custom feat to do it, though). If you think balance is best achieved by my spending the feat to accomplish proficiency with the bladed scarf as a reach weapon, I will do so. Right now, Girri has the Observant feat. Mainly because it fits the flavor of her being a street rat, but also for the shameless bump to Wisdom (her primary stat). Still, the bladed scarf is more important to my concept for Girri than is the bump to Wisdom, so if I need to spend her feat on it, I will. You'll let me know?

I'll admit, the first thing I looked for was some sort of exotic weapons proficiency feat. Obviously I didn't find one, so this is what I came up with. I think it'll be fine.

industrygothica said:
I'll admit, the first thing I looked for was some sort of exotic weapons proficiency feat. Obviously I didn't find one, so this is what I came up with. I think it'll be fine.
Thanks. I've updated Girri to reflect the updated bladed scarf (using stats for a dagger but adding finesse and reach).

I have decisions to make about language, domain, and alignment, but those will wait until I see what others craft.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
CB has suggested to me that I take the role of the party healer, which I'm happy to do. I don't quite low the form it will take, yet, but I'll have a cleric or druid sometime over the weekend.

Excited about this.

Question on druids for the DM: how forceful is the no-metal rule?
a. druids will never use metal shields or metal armour.
b. druids aren't proficient in metal armour, but can wear it if they have a proficiency from another source.
c. it's just a suggestion and a good rp explanation can overcome all poorly-worded druidic limitations.
d. something else?

Cheers!

industrygothica

Adventurer
CB has suggested to me that I take the role of the party healer, which I'm happy to do. I don't quite low the form it will take, yet, but I'll have a cleric or druid sometime over the weekend.

Excited about this.

Question on druids for the DM: how forceful is the no-metal rule?
a. druids will never use metal shields or metal armour.
b. druids aren't proficient in metal armour, but can wear it if they have a proficiency from another source.
c. it's just a suggestion and a good rp explanation can overcome all poorly-worded druidic limitations.
d. something else?

Cheers!

Hmm.. I'm afraid I'm from the school of no metal armor or shields at all for druids. I mean, I suppose that if you were in a gladiator's arena and your wooden shield has broken, but your fallen buddy's metal shield is laying close by with his severed hand still attached, you MIGHT consider picking it up to use it, but barring that... ;-)

ALL: I'll confess that I'm no good at vetting characters. At least not without some program I can use to plug in numbers. Or more than 5 hours sleep. While the software is more likely, I currently have neither. Would you guys mind giving each others' characters a once (or twice!) over and helping a brother out?

See.. that's why you guys rock!

-IG

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases