D&D 5E Best Gish

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm really surprised no one's mentioned my build, Swashbuckler / Dragon Sorcerer. I'm not particularly high level yet, but the combos are pretty incredible. Dragonic Resilience gives you decent AC for light armor. Booming Blade synergizes well with both Sneak Attack, Fancy Footwork and Panache. Plus Green Flame and Booming Blade cover the rogue's main weakness: AoE.

Unlike the wizard, your casting stat is important to your class as well, and unlike warlock or bard you get access to shield.

Draconic Resiliance gives +1 AC over studded leather, a nice bonus.

But I don't see how Booming Blade improves Sneak Attack or Fancy Footwork over normal attacks.

BB limits you to a single attack so a single miss removes all your sneak attack damage for the turn. And because it's not an Attack action it won't even trigger anything that could give you a second bonus-action attack like two-weapon fighting.

It synergies with Fancy Footwork exactly the same as any other attack, though if you had multiple attacks you could gain Fancy Footwork against multiple foes the same round.

chaosronin

Explorer
Druid's gish by cheating. Throw up a concentration spell, turn into an animal and attack.

Otherwise they don't gish. They get no second attack and no bonus to attacks to compensate.

Moon Druid at certain levels otherwise meh.

The 2 leading contenders IMHO right now are.

Paladin/6/Sorc XYZ type builds (Sorc MCing into Paladin IMHO) and Fighter1/Warlock XYZ (hex, reduces MAD, fighter goodies, con save proficiency etc).

To some earlier posts. You can't cast 2 fireballs per round regardless of quicken and things like action surge. you may as well quicken the cantrip and hard cast the other spell to save metamagic points.

Well that's disappointing, might try it out anyways and see how I go I'm not to keen on the shape shifting.

I do agree on the Pala6/SorcX In particular CrownPala6\DragonSorcX is probably the strongest in the game atm imo.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well that's disappointing, might try it out anyways and see how I go I'm not to keen on the shape shifting.

I do agree on the Pala6/SorcX In particular CrownPala6\DragonSorcX is probably the strongest in the game atm imo.

Why crown Paladin?

Asa land druid polearm master sentinel shillagh but if you are doing that just be a nature cleric.

War cleric with great weapon mastery works and nature clerics and death clerics are also reasonably good at beatdown at least as far as clerics go.

Last edited:

chaosronin

Explorer
Why crown Paladin?

Asa land druid polearm master sentinel shillagh but if you are doing that just be a nature cleric.

War cleric with great weapon mastery works and nature clerics and death clerics are also reasonably good at beatdown at least as far as clerics go.

Mostly as I like to be able to still support and tank and Crown does that best out of the Oath's in my opinion.
Here's a really nice thread all about Pala/Sorc Multi builds http://www.giantitp.com/forums/show...e-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

RCanine

First Post
But I don't see how Booming Blade improves Sneak Attack or Fancy Footwork over normal attacks.

BB limits you to a single attack so a single miss removes all your sneak attack damage for the turn. And because it's not an Attack action it won't even trigger anything that could give you a second bonus-action attack like two-weapon fighting.

It synergies with Fancy Footwork exactly the same as any other attack, though if you had multiple attacks you could gain Fancy Footwork against multiple foes the same round.

BB adds level-scaling damage to an attack that can also benefit from sneak attack and will generally out damage two-weapon fighting without losing your bonus action. Rogues don't get extra attack, so casting BB has no opportunity cost.

Fancy Footwork allows you to walk up to an enemy, use BB, then walk away, ensuring the extra damage.

There's a ton of synergy.

Nathan Mitchell

First Post
IMO there's a couple of really good gish builds out there.

Sorcerer is really good for augmenting an already powerful melee class with SCAG Cantrips and Metamagic. Key examples being Paladin and Swashbuckler. Paladin loves the extra spells slots for Divine Smite and Swashbuckler loves the combination of Booming Blade and Fancy Footwork. Interesti

ppaladin123

Adventurer
For me the sweet spot is 1/2 caster. Right now there are no half-caster arcane classes. Right out of the box the closest thing we have is the Oath of Vengeance Paladin, which is a half-caster with a bunch of useful arcane spells added to its list that provide movement, buffs and debuffs and whose smite feature, along with the variety of different types of smites, nicely mirrors the "blade channeling" of spells that various gish classes of editions past had. The only things that are missing are cantrips and AoE though that is easily rectified with a feat (at first level if variant human).

The other builds like eldritch knight/wizard, paladin/sorcerer, bard/warlock, and to a lesser extent fighter/warlock all are neat but take some time to get going.

ADAM O'MAILLE

First Post
I like the idea of EK/Sorc, too, but it takes sooooo long to come online. You need to be 10th level just to get War Magic and Metamagic.

Then again, Twin Booming Blade + War Magic is much more dangerous than 3 attacks from a simple level 11 fighter, so I suppose it's fair.
And when you throw in action surge and twin it again, you’re unstoppable

Remove ads