Which one would you go for?

• Extra Attack

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Defensive Tactics

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Poll closed .

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Hey ya all. If in 3 levels you could either get and extra attack (when you already have 2), or get the ranger's defensive tactics feature, which would you pick?

And, if going for DT, what would you go for, escape the horde, multi attack defense or steel will?

Also, feel free to elaborate on the context in which you'd make the call :)

pdegan2814

First Post
Unless you plan on eventually going to at least 11th level in Ranger, or you REALLY want an extra Favored Enemy/Terrain, I'd say go with Fighter 11/Ranger 4 over Fighter 8/Ranger 7.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
My concept calls for fighter 6, ranger 4, but above lvl10 at which point the concept matures, it's still open for debate. I am certain i will take the next 2 levels as a fighter for the fighter 8 ASI, but from that point on......... well that is where i'd like your advise.

As unlikely as it is, i have the class planned all the way up to level 20, and i will eventually take 8 levels of ranger, but the big question is when. There are two things in the ranger that i want for my character and are above level 4. The Land's Stride at level 8, which just screams ranger from a role playing perspective and the Escape the Horde feature which would allow me to play him as a sort of one man quick intervention force in the field, always running around hitting where it hurts the most and defending the vulnerable sorcerer and cleric in the back. We already have a good barbarian to tank the front, so i'm only a secondary tank. But then, on the other hand, that extra attack really looks yummy. The d10 for maneuvers isn't something to forget either. I am really torn about this one.

Unless you plan on eventually going to at least 11th level in Ranger, or you REALLY want an extra Favored Enemy/Terrain, I'd say go with Fighter 11/Ranger 4 over Fighter 8/Ranger 7.

I never did plan to get to level 11 in ranger. The multi attack feature just doesn't do it for me. My character is mostly melee, so volley is not of too much use and i could never figure exactly how useful the whirlwind attack is. I mean, it uses your entire action and if surrounded you could get quite a few attacks out of it.... but you need to get yourself surrounded and even if i didn't want to play a mobile character, getting surrounded is not really my favorite tactics. Especially because with the fighter's extra attack and horde breaker i can already get 4 attacks per round against tightly packed enemies.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases