Self Publishing: What's An Artist Worth?

If you're like many other folks who have recently delved into the foray of self-publishing 5E products, you've probably quickly realised that art is expensive (actually, I dislike using that term - it's not expensive for what it is). Some people are lucky enough to have artistic talent which lets them illustrate their own products; others need to rely on the hard work of other contributors to help bring their words to life. This short article covers a few basic ways you can get your product illustrated. Welcome to a well-established community of small and self-publishers in the RPG industry!

Are You A Writer Or A Publisher?
First things first, it's important that you start from the right perspective. If you're producing and selling products, and using artists to illustrate them (we'll leave out editors and layout/design people for now), you're not just a writer any more. You're a publisher. A small publisher, perhaps, but a publisher nonetheless. Being a publisher isn't the same thing as being a writer - it requires different skills; and as a publisher, albeit a small one, you have a new set of responsibilities. Publishing ain't always easy, but it can be rewarding.

If you just want to be a writer, that's a different thing. As a writer, you don't need to worry about art, someone else can edit your work, someone else does the layout, someone handles the marketing, someone handles the accounting. If writing is the thing you really want to do, consider instead approaching a publisher and writing for them. They'll do all the (non-written) hard work, and you'll get paid for your writing.

But if you're doing the whole shebang - using artists, selling the work, and so on - you're a publisher. You may prefer to think of yourself as a struggling writer, but you've taken a step beyond that; and as a small publisher you need to consider the hard work of others involved in bringing your words to life. You may be surprised to find that that can take as long or longer than your actual writing, and involve just as much hard work!

Don't Work For Exposure
Now, art isn't cheap. Or at least, it shouldn't be - it is possible to persuade artists to work for peanuts (or worse, for exposure) but doing so is exploiting them. A quick Google search will reveal hundreds of articles about how artists should not work for free or for exposure, and the reasons why, so I won't belabour the point here except to say that it is important. I even wrote a similar article (focused on writers, not artists) a while back.

That might mean you can't afford art, at least at first. That's totally OK. It's OK to not be able to afford something, and to work towards being able to afford it, and books with little or no art are just fine! However, there are other options which mean that you can actually afford art and pay your artists a fair amount. Every small publisher has gone through this - if you look at DTRPG, you'll see thousands of small publishers who have gone through that very thing. Don't panic; it's not a new problem. If you keep producing quality stuff, you'll be able to start slowly improving the production values of that material. "But I can't afford it" is not a great reason to exploit somebody; it's a great reason to hone your craft and reputation and work towards being able to afford it. In the meantime, starting with little or no art is just fine; if your writing is solid, you have a great starting point.

That said, in this day and age, there are some amazing resources which enable you to early circumvent these barriers. It's a pretty wonderful time for self-publishing!

Some Solutions
The most obvious one is Kickstarter. Let's say you need a thousand dollars to illustrate your short book (like I said, art is not cheap - I spent £20,000 of Kickstarter funds on art for my WOIN books). A Kickstarter campaign to raise that thousand dollars has a number of benefits. First, you find out in advance if folks want your book. Second, it has its own marketing value all of itself. Third, it means you can pay your artists a fair wage. Fourth, if you raise more than your thousand dollars, you start making profit before even putting the book on sale. Fifth, you can then sell the book.

That's a win-win situation. Your book ends up looking good, everybody gets paid fairly, you make money. It's hard to find a good reason not to do that, especially when your back-up plan is to ask artists to work for free. Work out what art you need, work out how much it costs, and there's your Kickstarter goal. When your book gets funded, your artists' fair pay is built-in to the model.

I would normally include Patreon as an option, but the logistics are a bit awkward there. Certainly it's very suited to lots of small items, but if you want to use DMs Guild (which I assume most folks reading this do) the exclusivity clause at DMs Guild makes it slightly tricky getting your product to your patrons. I'm hopeful that some loosening of the rules (or a much needed extra feature - comp copies for DMs Guild publishers) is in the future, as that would make for the ideal solution.

What other options are there? The other obvious solution is stock art. There are stock art locations where you can buy art rights inexpensively, or even free public domain art. Those artists make their money by selling the same art to lots of people, rather than doing custom work just for you. There's the big places like Shutterstock, and there is tons of stock art available on DriveThruRPG. WotC has released some art to be used as stock art on DMs Guild (for free!) In fact, there are hundreds of places you can get stock art. Here's a quick list:
Now, there are places you can get art done for next to nothing. I personally feel that doing so is unfair. Some artists may well be willing to work for peanuts because (a) they don't know better and think that's the only way to get started as an artist or (b) they don't need the money as they have a full time job and are just doing it for fun. The former, unfortunately, have their viewpoint reinforced by all those publishers who keep telling them that that is true, when it isn't; the latter undermine the former because they make it look like art is, indeed, a cheap commodity. For that reason, even if you don't need the money, if you're an artist I hope that you still charge a fair price for your art, because not doing so harms those that do need the money.

Can you get art for dirt cheap, or free? Sure. Should you? The desire to get your awesome words out there and looking pretty is understandable and the temptation to do what you need to do to get that done right now is hard to resist, especially if you have no money to spend. I've been there! I asked Claudio Pozas, an artist I've known for 16 years, who started small and worked his way up:
Why not just offer US$5 and use whatever artist takes the bait? There are several reasons for that:

1) You'll get the art you paid for: probably rushed, from a starting, naive artist who is hurting his career more than helping.​
2) There's the ethical quandary of offering a payment that is unlikely to support the worker you're hiring. It's a matter of responsibility, when you have the power in the professional relationship (in this case, the job offer).​
3) for the publisher really scraping for money, there are several good artists out there that offer stock illustration. Sure, the art won't be uniquely yours, but it's better than to cheat an artist out of a living wage.​

OK, so now you're asking what a fair rate for art is? That depends on a number of things - colour, black-and-white, size, complexity, and so on. The range does, of course, vary - I'm not saying that beginning artists can charge as much as those who have spent years forging their reputation. A well-known artist may charge ten times or more than a new one; that's OK, as long as the new one is still charging a fair amount.

The average rates I tend to see from artists are in the region of $30 for a quarter page piece, $100 for a full page piece, maybe double that if it's full-colour. For a well-known artist, you may have to pay much more than that, but for the average freelancer, that's about the average. I asked Claudio Pozas again:
"Fair" depends on a lot of things: the artist's experience, the publisher's size, and the product's reach. At the very least, an artist -- like any other person -- should make a living wage out of his work. In the US, the minimum wage is US$7 (roughly) an hour, and there's talk of increasing that to US$15 (a minimum "living" wage).

If an artist is expected to spend two days on an illustration (between sketching, composition, rendering, and handling alterations), that's about 16 hours of work. That artist, at the very least, should be paid US$240 for his time.​
Granted, the artist won't probably work for 8 hours per day, that can be spread out over more days, as the freelancer has to deal with his own workflow, his paperwork, and have time to hone his skills.​
The bottom line is that each publisher should be prepared to contribute to an artist's living wage, so we can end the all-too-real image of the "starving artist". I can see a small, quarter-page illustration that could theoretically be finished (sketch + composition + rendering + alteration) over the course of 8 hours (again, putting together the hours actually spent on the image over several days), and the publisher offering US$120 for it.​
BTW, those numbers I gave you can be adjusted for, as you said, non-work-for-hire, etc. A b/w quarter-page illustration that an artist can do in 3 hours can start at US$30, easily.​

Now, Claudio is an established artist with a solid, reliable, professional reputation. $120 for a quarter page item isn't necessarily what a brand new artist can command, but they can definitely command more than just "exposure".

What about cartography? Dyson Logos offered this information when I asked: "As a cartographer, I charge $250 for a full page map, $175 for a half-page. This is for "work for hire", my rates are lower if we are dealing with licensed material instead (where I keep copyright and provide non-exclusive use licensing)."

You'll notice that Claudio says that an artist should be paid a living wage for work. Now, there is a problem there; I know it well! You, the publisher are not making a living wage, so why should the artist? It's a good question. It's also not the right question. If your business model doesn't allow you to pay a fair wage for art, the answer isn't "exploit an artist", it's "revise your business model; it doesn't work". Don't pass the pain onto those who depend on you - it is, sadly, yours to bear. There are solutions; they take work or patience, but I've outlined several above (start smaller; use Kickstarter; etc.) It may be that you just can't have the art yet. Don't worry - you can, with time, get yourself to a place where you can have it all! Think of it like hiring a builder or other craftsman to work for you (though those types of people long, long ago realised the value of their labour - you won't get them doing it for a fiver!)

You can do other things to make things fairer for artists, and maybe save some money. Consider letting them keep the rights to the art. When I publish, I no longer use work-for-hire art except for very occasional specific pieces which really need to be (and I pay more for them). Work-for-hire means you, the publisher, owns the copyright to the art. Instead, consider letting the artist keep the copyright (don't do that instead of paying them - do it as well as paying them, but you may be able to negotiate a lower rate). The artist can go on to make money by selling prints and the like; even WotC lets its cartographers do that these days. Hey, head over to my friend Claudio Pozas' art store and buy a print of this gorgeous cover he did for To Slay A Dragon. The odds are you don't really need it to be work-for-hire. If for some reason it does need to be work-for-hire, you can still give the artist permission to sell prints themself.

tsad.jpg

[FONT=&quot]SaveSave[/FONT]

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Thanks for your comments, GreyLord.

What advice can you suggest to someone who is looking to hire an artist for their game or book? What does a reasonable rate look like?

I listed above a long post about it, but in general I'd probably go with the idea that you take how long it will take you to make the piece of art and multiply it by the hour.

A beginning artist should probably charge NO LESS than $10 an hour. $15/hr is probably not unusual to charge either. Then it depends on the size and detail (obviously). For a sketch of less than an hour you probably shouldn't charge more than $30 -$50. For a normal piece of artwork that takes around half a day probably $50-$80. For something more complex, let's say full page...you'd probably be looking at something between $100 - $150.

This depends on DETAIL and scope though.

IMO (obviously), the problem dealing with newcomers to the art scene has several factors.

The first is how skilled they are. I hate to say it, but the better artist they are, the more they can charge. It really boils down to skill. The one who has more skill is going to eventually be able to charge more than the one who does not.

HOWEVER...the second variable also makes a HUGE difference. Dependability.

You can have someone be a master painter, but if that half page artwork takes them 2 weeks but it might take them longer and sometimes they overshoot their estimate by two weeks and it costs you $2500...you have to ask yourself is that worth it?

On the otherhand, you may have someone that can do decent artwork but can dependably put out a drawing a day or a full piece in three or four days. They charge $350 for the same half page full art that the other guy does...AND you can expect it to be done when they contracted it to be done...

Who are you going to normally depend on getting you the artwork when you need it?

Another example...

You have an artist that only charges you $250 for full page in depth illustrations. However, you need 5 (so ($1,250 total) of them in a month's time. They tell you no problem. Instead...you end up waiting 3 months and you still only have three of them thus far.

On the otherhand you have an artist that charges you $3000 for the same thing, but they will HAVE them when they say they will. You know from past connections and others good words about them. When time and dependability is on the line...that (total of $15,000) is WORTH every penny.

When a big magazine is putting out something and they need that cover...they need someone they can depend on to GET THEM that cover WHEN they NEED the cover...not someone who may or may not get it to them.

Unfortunately, only one of those can be seen with new artists. One can see how their artwork looks...but one cannot tell how dependable they are at first.

If we go by the equation of

Skill x Dependability = Price

if either one of those is zero...you should expect to get zero back.

There are other factors obviously, but those two I think are some of the BIGGEST factors that some people deal with. For someone looking to hire an artist NOTHING probably is more demoralizing to have everything ready to go but you are still waiting for that artwork that you were guaranteed to have three months or more ago.

At the same time, you don't want artwork that anyone could draw. You are paying an artist for their ability to do and create art...normally beyond what you or the average individual could do.

You hit it on the head with your introductory paragraphs describing it.

It is so hard to figure out how much an artist is going to get paid because the variables are so wide and expansive.

That said, I'd go with the law of averages if one is trying to figure out what should be charged. Go on an by hourly basis...and with $20hr being the average (that's NOT for someone just starting, that's someone who's been in the field for a while and proven themselves), that's a good basic idea to base what you should charge as long as you are somewhat of a decent artist and have shown yourself to be dependable.

If you are just starting though...you probably shouldn't charge that much until you have good word of mouth (and there are sites out there where you can get a start freelancing in art beyond just Deviant art and such...though it MAY NOT be for RPGs, it can be for a wide range of projects) and good contracts or those who pay you should leave reviews up that will bolster your work history. I would NEVER suggest one charge LESS than $10/hr (or €9-10/hr), and in some places if you are only working LOCAL contracts (such as cities such as San Francisco, New York, London, Paris) you could probably charge DOUBLE that...but ONLY LOCALLY as outside of those areas it would seem exorbitant...when they are starting out, but they need to build up their history.

Have a portfolio...show off the skill...but the other factor of dependability (also known as experience by some, or history of work by others) and how dependable one is typically has to be built up for a short time before knowing whether one can charge the big rates or not.

I'd say inch up rates gradually as the reviews build up and after a year or two you should be able to charge the normal going rates for whatever area you are working in. By that time, you should have a good grasp of what your artwork is REALLY worth (and that's the biggest problem with many who are just starting out, they overvalue what they are worth or how good an artist they are...too many junk artists that are really terrible out there), and what you can feasibly charge. After two years behind you, that's the time to PRESS the limits.

At that point you can start raising rates dynamically to see just what limit you can get to and still have people coming to pay you. There are averages, but there is NO HARD AND FAST rules on how much this can be. If you are extremely talented and very dependable...the sky is literally the limit. You could have a MASSIVE amount of money offered per illustration (talking thousands of dollars per piece) and you just need to push the limit to figure that out.

I'd probably NOT just limit oneself to RPG illustrator to reach that point though...there's a ton of other illustration jobs out there beyond just RPGs...and if one is building that portfolio of experience...why not stretch themselves in other areas. They might just meet that Harper's magazine who needs the illustrator badly enough or someone else that pays a LOT more money than some RPG companies are even able to dream about (though there are the big RPG companies out there too such as WotC with MtG).

This is more for a general illustrator though, I have worked with RPG illustration previously but I will say my experience with RPG illustrators and illustration is extremely limited so it may work differently with the RPG industry.

GreyLord

Legend
Thanks for your comments, GreyLord.

What advice can you suggest to someone who is looking to hire an artist for their game or book? What does a reasonable rate look like?

So, that long paragraph above doesn't really answer your question, of which I'm sorry, because there is no REAL set answer. Just as your article states (though not the rates), it's almost impossible to pin down.

It depends on the artist.

LUCKILY...if you are dealing with someone who is EXPERIENCED (which also probably means they are dependable), they will know their rates already. You can see their reviews and many of the webpages for freelancers will have a listing where you can see their rates and compare it to others who are also out there.

For someone who is new, it will boil down to how many illustrations do you want, how detailed do you want them, and when you want them.

Let's put a general price of $100 per illustration (just an average to make it easy...so smaller illustrations should be less, bigger illustrations more...this is the whole kit and caboodle). If I need 50 illustrations, we are looking at $5000 easy.

They should probably be given at LEAST 3 months to fulfill such an order. If they require 6 months...that's probably going to be acceptable. If they start stalling and saying it will take LONGER than 6 months...that's where you start negotiating. At a year mark for 50 illustrations...I'd start wondering how quick they can work and how dependable they are.

Now let's say I want those illustrations in a month rather than 3 months. That's going to rachet it up a GREAT deal. IF (and that could be a big if) they can pull it off, you probably should at least triple if not quadruple that price to at least $15K to $20K. It could be more than that, even for a new artist.

Another factor, let's say that you want all those illustrations to be full color full cover illustrations. That should then ratchet it up considerably. I'd probably say $250 on average, though $500 is probably not a bad askance for in this situation...and at least 6 months of time if not more. For 50 illustrations you are looking at $25K at least, and if you want it under that time period...let's say in three months it probably should be something like $50K to 100K.

Just some rough guesstimates.

Most beginning artists probably are not going to get these types of contracts and if you are looking at this type of money to be laid out...I'd probably go looking at the experienced artists who have some work under their belts, know how fast they can work and what they typically can charge for that.

For a writer I'd say look at getting a few black and white sketches for the interior at around$25 - $50 per sketch. These are not as great detail as a full on illustration, as they are quicker, but normally they are passable. For the cover, look at spending $500 to $1000 for it. You'll want a great deal of detail, full color, and all the pizzaz. You'll also want it with layout which will cost you another amount (covered in your guide already).

Just some thoughts that more officially answer your question, though it's still sort of out there as actual prices are very nebulous regarding how much you could or should pay.

GreyLord

Legend
Thanks, this is good practical advice.

What is your background in the industry, if I may ask? You clearly know a lot about it.

Stock and business wise I normally don't get into that here.

However, on a more personal level I've been involved with writing and publishing for a while, over 20 years at this point (actually longer than that, but 20 years is a nice round number to look at). It was more with my personal involvement than anything dealing with what I actually did for work. Some of it has been published by other companies and some of it has been published on my own.

Got my start originally with the magazines (though back then they did things somewhat differently, similar idea with submissions though). Moved onto books after a few years. Unfortunately, not a ton of fiction in there. I do fiction as a hobby and for fun, but a lot of non-fiction was a side job (not the main one I did to make money, but a side job I did sort of as a combination of hobby/keeping my foot in the door as I made enough money otherwise and couldn't focus as much time on the side job as I wanted).

Currently retired, and now that I have all the free time keep telling myself I should write more but keep getting side tracked with other hobbies and avoiding work (even the side job/hobby). I tend to spend more time with RPGs, boardgames, and other things these days (and old movies and TV shows) then writing. I do still tend to do some non-fiction work (last was probably within the past few months) and ghost writing, but I always want to do that novel everyone dreams about. Obviously...not much progress has been made.

Spend more time looking at the stocks and hoping my retirement doesn't crash as well as the above hobbies I mentioned. I've gotten into video games heavily for once as well. It's funny, you get all these big plans for when you will retire, and when you actually do, you spend more time relaxing and doing hobbies than a lot of the other things you thought you would do (such as writing that novel, or travelling the world for fun for once in locations you always dreamed about visiting as a teen. I suppose some do it, but I just seem to do other things and relax instead).

I have several family members that are active in the industry right now though (and probably one or two that many here would recognize instantly, which is even more of a reason to not divulge a ton so I don't tarnish their good names by being associated with me!!) and if anything, I've learned that there is no one way to success in writing, publishing, or art.

There are probably as many ways to success in these areas today as there are those with the drive and will to succeed in doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases