D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

horacethegrey

First Post
Warcraft also has Duncan Jones directing. Guy already has 2 good films under his belt (Moon, Source Code), so let's hope he keeps up the winning streak.

That said, the most worrying thing about the movie (aside from the CGI, which really stands out), is the control Blizzard has over it. Sam Raimi was slated to direct it at first but backed out over creative differences with them.

I really hope the movie is a success. If it bombs it may put fantasy films back into the backburner once again and Warner may cancel their plans for a D&D movie. I want fantasy films to stand side by side with superhero films in this era of geek friendly cinema.

ccs

41st lv DM
Given that people are becoming more aware of things like "white-washing", that could certainly be a strike against it. So could the previous two shots at Greek mythology, that fell pretty flat ("300: Rise of an Empire" and "Immortals"). "World of Warcraft" has the video gaming community behind it, which is certainly a bigger push that the RPG community. Less bookie stigma too. I'm not sure how that's going to play out. Could be huge. Could be "Jupiter Ascending."

Hey, don't forget two crappy Hercules movies almost back to back, Wrath of the Titans, & a s%^&* Conan movie!
Those certainly aren't helping the fantasy cause.

And "white-washing" aside, this is more in the category of seeing John Wayne playing Genghis Khan. It's just too unbelievable to sell.

Remove ads

Remove ads