D&D Movie Takes Cues From GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

We already know that the new Dungeons & Dragon movie, being produced by the producer of the LEGO movie, is going to be set in the Forgotten Realms. Producer Roy Lee said, while at DICE 2016, that it will have a tone akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 18.13.08.png

There's more info in this article on Collider, but the pertinent facts are:

• The movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm.
  • The Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”
  • It's an ensemble piece.
  • Scriptwriter Leslie Johnson says "I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds."
That last item is interesting. Different worlds? A Dragonlance or Ravenloft movie, perhaps?

This could either be a smart move or a really stupid based-on-hot-new-takes-on-a-geek-genre move by Hollywood. Fantasy is JUST NOW starting to take off as a truly viable film genre (thanks to all the grown up geeks with disposable income both going to see the movies and make the movies), helped mostly by Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and partially by superhero movies (because superhero have to have a bit of the fantastic to them... except if they're the Fantastic Four).

I agree with Jester that D&D movie should poke fun at stuff, a fighter calling out a wizard for hiding in a tower and such. Hopefully a good writer is brought on and the studio doesn't mess with the script too much. After Deadpool, I also hope the studio is willing to be a little more liberal with situations in the movie. Not necessarily the language, just ridiculous situations. Maybe get Vin Diesel to play Minsc. Imagine him shouting 'Go for the eyes, Boo!' and I bet you won't be able to get that thought out of your head.

I'm serious about getting Vin Diesel. The man loves gaming, he's passionate about things he's in, he tries to ensure things he's in are at least entertaining, and he'd probably help bankroll the movie. But his schedule probably wouldn't permit him to be in anything D&D related for quite a while.

I just hope that the movie is treated with respect for the source material and not turned into a farce.

I totally second Vin Diesel as Minsc. He would throw himself into that role so hard. Even if the rest of the movie sucked, his performance would be awesome.

Ryujin

Legend
If the filmmakers are wanting a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe for the film, why not simply adapt John Roger's (Leverage) D&D comic from IDW?

View attachment 74900

You have a group of five adventurers tackling dangerous situations while talking snark to each other. I think that perfectly captures the GOTG vibe the filmmakers are looking for. Now given the film is set in the Forgotten Realms, they're more likely to feature new characters, but it'd be great if they were similar to the Fell's Five party.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that there won't be a Tiefling in the movie, unless it's a villain. It really wouldn't play well in Middle America/the Bible Belt. I don't think that Wizards would like to see a resurgence of the demon panic of the early/mid-1980s.

allenw

Explorer
Lucifer himself is fighting crime on Fox. I don't think a Tiefling will dissuade anyone who would otherwise see the movie. Sure, some people will complain, but they aren't the target audie4nce.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Not to mention Harry Potter's 8 (soon to be 9) movies. And several Narnia. Wizard of Oz? Dragonheart? Clash of the Titans? The other Clash of the Titans? Percy Jackson? Eragon? Malificent? The Neverending Story? Yeah, there's been a few.

You beat me to it :cool:

Fantasy has been killing it at the box office for over a decade now, sometimes regardless of the actually quality of the movie in question (I'm looking at you Hobbit trilogy...although it is kind of a guilty pleasure).

horacethegrey

First Post
I think you've forgotten about a certain horned demonlike character who was clearly a hero to appear in a movie.

View attachment 74904

Besides, the fact that this is Dungeons & Dragons, a property that ignorant people tried to brand as a Satanic influence during the 80's, is sure to turn some people away. Like allenw said, they're not the target audience. I mean, the Bible Belt complained about Harry Potter and the books and the movies still made billions.

Ryujin

Legend
I think that they might be a little more sensitive about the issue than the producers of those other properties considering they started re-branding certain creatures in the Monster Manuals over it, in the past. We'll see, I guess.

broghammerj

Explorer
Ummm...what would you classify LotR as? in fact here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=liveactionfantasy.htm ;looks like a number of fantasy live action movies have been successful at the box office

Look at the top 20 movies in that list:

Harry Potter- 8 films
LOR-6 films
Chronicles of Narnia
Oz the Great Powerful
Thor Dark World
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Maleficent

Most of them are based on wildly successful book franchises that are already well established with fans (LOTR, Harry Potter, Narnia). The others are also books but also Disney films. Finally you have Thor which is already established by Marvel. DnD doesn't have that luxury.

Personally, I think if you launch a DnD film you franchise Dragonlance. It has inter-character dynamics (Sturm, Tanis, Kitiara) , humor between Tas and Flint, betrayal, dynamics between brothers, and a quest for power. All this is set during an epic war with Dragons which allows for great FX and action.

Koloth

First Post
I've got a sneaking suspicion that there won't be a Tiefling in the movie, unless it's a villain. It really wouldn't play well in Middle America/the Bible Belt. I don't think that Wizards would like to see a resurgence of the demon panic of the early/mid-1980s.

As someone that is the middle of that area, I think your fears are overblown. If Hasbro is worried about the roadkill remnants of the Moral Majority movement of the 80's, they should just close up shop and liquidate the company. Most of the leaders of that group wound up in disgrace from having sex with others then their spouse, embezzlement of funds, blatantly using donor money to live lavish lifestyles or in some cases, all of the above. A Baptist preacher's favorable comments about the TV show Charmed clued me in to start watching it. Witches, demons and scantily clad girls, oh my!

I just hope they worry about making a good movie first and the D&D aspect second. Let's face it, with just a little tweaking, the Fast and Furious set of movies could be re imaged as a d20 version of Car Wars. F&F has been doing pretty good at the box office and that is what really matters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Actually, I don't think that would be a bad thing, marketing-wise. A bit of controversy. The rest of the world can laugh at the minority talking the stupid, and WotC gets free publicity. It's 2016. It can only work in their favour. It might get it into very popular podcast, chat show, news program, newspaper. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

I don't think it'll ever happen again, though, for the same reasons that if it happened it would be beneficial: the internet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I think if you launch a DnD film you franchise Dragonlance. It has inter-character dynamics (Sturm, Tanis, Kitiara) , humor between Tas and Flint, betrayal, dynamics between brothers, and a quest for power. All this is set during an epic war with Dragons which allows for great FX and action.

But that calls for at least a trilogy of movies, and they haven't yet had a single one that was worth a darn.

Demonstrate that you can make one, just one, decently, then think about longer franchises.

horacethegrey said:
If the filmmakers are wanting a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe for the film, why not simply adapt John Roger's (Leverage) D&D comic from IDW?

I haven't read those comics, but John Rogers has done some good stuff. But when you've got an author, and another publisher, in the works, goodness only knows who has the rights to the details.

Remove ads

Remove ads