Haunted One CoS Background

Nice. I dig the Monster Hunter's pack, too.

"There was that time, when I saw the dread Gazebo rise to take its revenge. Never shall I speak of it again."

From a RP perspective, this could be a very flavorful background.

From a mechanical perspective, it's questionable to where it ranks.

First thing that I noticed about it is that it only comes with one skill and one language. I get that this background gives you choices for them, which means an automatic degree of customization allowed. However, as the AL rules allow background customization anyways, this makes the background weaker.

I do like the Monster Hunter's Pack, which has a lot of expensive items in it for a cheap price. I wonder what the Gothic Trinkets table is going to have on it.

The main thing about this background that is actually a really good feature is Heart of Darkness. That has a lot potential doing effective party splits. I can foresee a rather charming Lawful Evil character using this to create cannon fodder.

agreenspan

First Post
This seems like really poor editing. Every other background gives 2 skill and 2 language/tool/instrument proficiencies and this gives only 1 of each. I think AL errata will have to bring those up to 2.

Rils

Explorer
Yeah, not sure why only one proficiency. The languages given are "exotic" though, which means you can usually only learn them by DM fiat. Getting a free one of those is probably considered worth two "common" languages.

NeverLucky

First Post
This seems like really poor editing. Every other background gives 2 skill and 2 language/tool/instrument proficiencies and this gives only 1 of each. I think AL errata will have to bring those up to 2.
Just encourage anyone taking it to create a custom background with the same feature and equipment package as this one.

kalani

First Post
Yeah, not sure why only one proficiency. The languages given are "exotic" though, which means you can usually only learn them by DM fiat. Getting a free one of those is probably considered worth two "common" languages.

Normally, players can only customize backgrounds via DM fiat. In AL however, all languages and customization options for backgrounds are open to everyone (with the exception of creating new background features). The haunted background wasn't made with AL in mind however, so I expect that the rule will be to add one extra skill (of choice) and one extra language/tool (of choice), even for those players who don't choose to customize their skill/tool/language selection.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
In AL however, all languages and customization options for backgrounds are open to everyone (with the exception of creating new background features).

If I'm not mistaken, the customization options for background features extends to players being allowed to create their own personality traits (bonds, flaws, ideals, and traits), subject to DM approval at the table.

If so, this would mean that some DMs Guild material (such as my own Paladin Oaths as Bonds *cough*shameless plug*cough*) can be used in AL without being identified as AL-legal.

--
Pauper

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Correct. The default presumption in AL has always been that you can take any language listed in the PH when you choose a language, even though the PH itself specifically notes that exotic languages can only be taken with DM approval:

"With your GM's permission, you can instead choose a language from the Exotic Languages table or a secret language, such as thieves' cant or the tongue of druids." (SRD, p.59)

Given this text, I have occasionally directed players who have chosen an exotic language to choose a standard language instead for the purpose of play at my table. Players who have taken the Haunted One background and chosen the exotic language allowed in that background, however, would not be subject to that ruling.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
If I'm not mistaken, the customization options for background features extends to players being allowed to create their own personality traits (bonds, flaws, ideals, and traits), subject to DM approval at the table.

If so, this would mean that some DMs Guild material (such as my own Paladin Oaths as Bonds *cough*shameless plug*cough*) can be used in AL without being identified as AL-legal.

--
Pauper

That is correct, you can create your own (custom) traits/ideals/bonds/flaws, and/or choose them from any source (including 3rd party sources). These are just roleplaying hooks after all, and don't carry any mechanical weight (outside of inspiration).

With that being said: When creating/choosing custom traits/ideals/bonds/flaws, players should be mindful not to choose options that would be inherently disruptive to the table. For example, saying that you are intolerant of elves is one thing (as you might roleplay being irritable, and resort to eye-rolling when someone pulls some stereotypical elf behavior), but choosing an option that says "I never work with elves and kill them on sight" is inherently disruptive.

Remove ads