Necromancy and AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulesJD

First Post
I agree. And as a DM, there's just as much chance I'll let you use that elephant with plate barding at my table as I would let you use a half-dozen simulcra (each of which created another one) to overwhelm my adventure. That is to say, zero chance. That is the authority AL gives me as a DM ("A DM's ruling at the table is considered final for the purpose of that play session."), and that is *especially* true if you're going to be a jerk about it.

The difference is, if you write down that you spent gold and downtime days to copy spells from a spellbook, and list the spellbook under the treasure for the adventure where you got the spellbook, I can take a quick look and say, 'OK, that checks out.' If you mis-record some of the spells, I can tell you to correct them, or if you refuse, forbid you from using the spells that weren't actually in the spellbook you claim to have gained.

If you've got an elephant, though? Where are the records of you feeding it, or if you're going to argue that you're feeding it with your lifestyle, why are you still sitting on the Modest lifestyle from your original background? Where do you keep it? How did you get it to Mulmaster from Phlan? Give me a good, interesting, rational explanation for all this stuff, and sure, I might be persuaded. But the point is, as others have already pointed out, that AL is not a venue for anything a player can dream up. AL is about getting together and telling shared stories around the gaming table. Anything you put forward that gives me the idea that you're not planning to share, and are instead going to hog the limelight and troll my table for the lulz, is another reason for me to make as full a use of my authority as DM to stop you from ruining the game for the other people at the table, each of whom is just as deserving of having time in the spotlight and feeling as though they have an awesome character as you do.

I don't expect players to try to police each other -- if the players are threatening each other to keep the adventure on track, I've already failed as DM.

If this means you're uninterested in playing Adventurers League, because you suddenly realize that every DM you play with isn't just going to trust you so that you can pull of whatever shenanigans you feel like pulling, then I for one am breathing a heavy sigh of relief, for my own tables and all the other tables that won't be wrecked by a selfish player who uses the rules as a bludgeon to beat the fun out of what should be an entertaining pastime.

--
Pauper

My god you're a bad DM. I don't mean in the sense that you don't know the adventure or keep track of mechanical aspects, it's just blatantly clear that you view the players as the enemy and them beating "your" monsters or override your "authority." I feel really, really bad for your players.

RulesJD

First Post
Its time like this I miss this old modified quality of Animate Dead:

Gotta love it when your undead minions turn on you.

Animate Dead: This spell works almost too well in Ravenloft. Normally the caster can animate a number of skeletons or zombies approximately equal to his level in Hit Dice. When a priest casts this spell in Ravenloft, however, it animates twice the usual amount. (Use the regular formula, but double the result.) The caster can add as many Hit Dice to the monsters as desired, as long as the total is no more than twice his own level.

Dungeon Masters should keep in mind that the Hit Dice of an undead creature affect its resistance to turning. Further, those creatures whose Hit Dice exceed the caster's level can attempt a saving throw vs. spell to break free of control.

The casting of this spell prompts a Ravenloft powers check.

Damn, that sounds amazingly fun. But then again I'm a huge fan of Wild Magic surges so maybe that bit of chaoticness is just enticing. This gets even better when you start using Create Undead, etc.

Cascade

First Post
... That is to say, zero chance.

If you've got an elephant, though? Where are the records of you feeding it, or if you're going to argue that you're feeding it with your lifestyle, ...

--
Pauper

Wow.

A whole bunch of people just received griffons for their characters at Winter Fantasy.
We were told food and a place to keep it would cost 5 DT at luxury per event played.

If I'm at your table, is this a zero chance option?

Inconnunom

Explorer
Wow.

A whole bunch of people just received griffons for their characters at Winter Fantasy.
We were told food and a place to keep it would cost 5 DT at luxury per event played.

Yea, I don't see his logic either. Maybe it is the way he had written it versus meant it but it feels very much a "My way or the high way" and "Don't taint my game with your variation" kind of feel.

I mean, when talking about using short rests to heal up a couple zombies he pretty argued for the stance "Nobody is forcing me so I don't have to"

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Is it included in an offical campaign-approved cert? Then sure, because that way I know it was approved by the campaign admins.

If you just say 'I got a griffin at Winter Fantasy', though? Anybody can say that. Without some confirmation that it's a 'real thing', nothing in the AL rules compels me to take your word for it. Heck, I could say I got a galleon at Winter Fantasy (even though I wasn't at Winter Fantasy).

--
Pauper

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I mean, when talking about using short rests to heal up a couple zombies he pretty argued for the stance "Nobody is forcing me so I don't have to"

Please don't over-simplify. The point is that the DM is the final arbiter of what the rules mean at any given session. Since the only reference to creatures other than player characters being able to use a short rest to spend hit dice is in a power description for the errata for the beast-master ranger, it's not unreasonable that some DMs either will have missed it or not have access to it.

As for questions like whether undead can heal using long rests, since there's no reference in the rules to answer that question, the DM must make a ruling if the question comes up. It's entirely reasonable for a DM to say 'if you want fresh undead, cast Animate Dead on fresh corpses'. (I mean, has nobody in this conversation even seen "Death Becomes Her"?)

--
Pauper

Inconnunom

Explorer
Is it included in an offical campaign-approved cert? Then sure, because that way I know it was approved by the campaign admins.

If you just say 'I got a griffin at Winter Fantasy', though? Anybody can say that. Without some confirmation that it's a 'real thing', nothing in the AL rules compels me to take your word for it. Heck, I could say I got a galleon at Winter Fantasy (even though I wasn't at Winter Fantasy).

--
Pauper

You don't need certs for items. I don't know why you think you do. You may as well be telling the players they are liars (whether true or not).
Everyone who runs the season 4 epic gets something. (tier 1 gets dire wolf mount, tier 2 gets griffin mount, tier 3 gets the "key to the city practically")

Please don't over-simplify. The point is that the DM is the final arbiter of what the rules mean at any given session.

I won't tell you how to run your tables. I was addressing some of the sentiment that you seem like a very antagonistic DM. The DM may be the arbiter of rules, but the players are the actors. If there is not some shared narrative through compromise in the game then we may as well be playing against a computer. That's what DM empowerment is supposed to be, imo.

RulesJD

First Post
Please don't over-simplify. The point is that the DM is the final arbiter of what the rules mean at any given session. Since the only reference to creatures other than player characters being able to use a short rest to spend hit dice is in a power description for the errata for the beast-master ranger, it's not unreasonable that some DMs either will have missed it or not have access to it.

As for questions like whether undead can heal using long rests, since there's no reference in the rules to answer that question, the DM must make a ruling if the question comes up. It's entirely reasonable for a DM to say 'if you want fresh undead, cast Animate Dead on fresh corpses'. (I mean, has nobody in this conversation even seen "Death Becomes Her"?)

--
Pauper

Except when you finally ignore the AL rules for long enough, and a player is knowledgeable enough to know that you are, they can and should report you to the store organizer, LC, RC, etc up the chain to get your ability to DM AL games removed. Or at least the store that you DM out of, if you are so associated.

And thank god you weren't at WF. Would hate to think they would let someone like you DM at a major con.

Cascade

First Post

--
Pauper

Interesting.

So do you audit the players' sheets?
Do you confirm that the judges that ran their games have valid DCI numbers?
How do you know they just didn't make up a level whatever character?

At WF the admins gave out favors - they were hand written on a photocopied cert. Do you consider them legal?
I mean, anyone could photocopy and hand write in...well anything.
and to further that, anyone can scan and reproduce any cert of pretty much anything...do you know everything that has been given out from the campaign to challenge its validity? The Admins have been giving out far more in "special" certs than is commonly advertised / available or even probably known. It appears to keep expanding...how will you keep up?

RCanine

First Post
At WF the admins gave out favors - they were hand written on a photocopied cert. Do you consider them legal?
I mean, anyone could photocopy and hand write in...well anything.
and to further that, anyone can scan and reproduce any cert of pretty much anything...do you know everything that has been given out from the campaign to challenge its validity? The Admins have been giving out far more in "special" certs than is commonly advertised / available or even probably known. It appears to keep expanding...how will you keep up?

This depends a whole lot on what a reward does. If a reward is nifty and small, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. If the reward was far above what seems reasonable for the character's level (like a flying mount, or a legendary item), I'd want to know the source. If the source was shady and unverifiable (e.g. this was randomly given to me at X con), I might not allow it if I thought it would undermine the fun for the rest of the party.

This sort of thing is always a DM's judgement call, and the AL making these exclusive rewards without publishing their availability makes it hard for DMs to make that call easily. So I'd expect table variation. As a DM, I'm not going to flinch at some fancy new light source, but I'm also under no obligation to let you ruin a game because you spent a couple hundred dollars to go to a con either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads