D&D 5E Test of High Level 5E: Design 4 or 5 lvl 13 PCs for 6 to 8 encounter adventuring day

Radaceus

Adventurer
Well I for one was looking forward to reading a play by play, and you cant just throw stats on dice rolls down and call it definitive results, D&D requires role playing of some sort which is entirely up to the players and refereed by the GM.

Maybe you guys should use the PbP forums here and do it up as a one shot?

CapnZapp

Legend
Flamestrike, please keep me and other posters separate.

I have clearly stated my posts are borderline off-topic. I ventured here to state my position mostly because I was mentioned in the OP. Then I have commented on a few issues.

You don't need to focus on my posts if you don't want to. Not in this thread anyway. Good day.

Q

A stranger enters the inn unexpectedly, shaking the rain from his travelling cloak. "My word!" he remarks casually, "That's quite a storm, isn't it?" He orders a mug of the finest ale and sits down at a table nearby. The only obvious signs that he is anything out of the ordinary are a confident air, a scar across his forehead and the adamantine greaves incised with gold filigree that become visible under his cloak when he puts his feet up on a stool and relaxes comfortably.

After a few minutes casually eavesdropping on your conversation, he rises, gives a graceful salute and addresses the important-looking gnome. He has a slight Cornish accent. "Your pardon, good sir, but mayhap I can be of service? I am Bedrock Trelawney, cousin of the Earl of Penwith. A position at the court of your most noble king would certainly be of interest, and a fortune in gold would not go amiss. I can call on the services of a number of friends, if that is appropriate. Can we come to some arrangement, perhaps?"

Myrkyn turns towards you and briefly glances skywards, a blessing to the Gods barely audible under his breath.

The Bedrock Trelawney? Famed dragon slayer and adventurer of renoun? I shall have to hang one of my spies in the morrow - they clearly are not doing their jobs if I was unaware you and your brave party of heroes were in town!

Firstly, the job is clearly yours. Glad to have you and your men on board good sir. I just need a quick second to tie up a loose end...

(He clicks his fingers and rocks fall, crushing to death a foppishly dressed bard with a scowl on his face, a pipe smoking gnome, a silver haired elf and two other equally disintrested patrons of the bar)

Now where were we again? Ahh thats right. The end of the Multiverse in 4 hours and 55 minutes.

What do you know of the sword Blackrazor?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So, you flat out refuse to engage with any hooks placed by the DM, only ever play amoral characters to avoid the introduction of any kind of moral or ethical drama in your games, and refuse to play with a DM who deviates from the rules or uses optional rules in his game?

Yes. I do refuse. This is a test of 5E D&D per the rules as written in the PHB. Not "Flamestrike's Rules" as he likes to run the game. I play in a game where I have to run every house rule by the other players or they refuse to play. Any group of players can do this, which is why the rules are an important touchstone for the player and DM.

There are two types of player agency in a game. PC player agency (the characters in game) and the player (the person) exercising his agency.

You have right off the bat violated the second form of agency by doing the following:

1. Assuming things about the characters that are not true such as making them criminals. The entire goal is to avoid moral games one way or the other.

2. You have offered me an unappealing adventure and expect me to play in it. Something I won't have fun playing with items my party can't use. Why did you design the adventure prior to looking at group composition? You have one player that uses a melee weapon as a primary form of combat. His weapon is a longsword and you offer the greatsword Blackrazor. No one else in the group uses any of the items offered in White Plume Mountain. It's a waste of my time to run through it. 20,000 gold? Are you allowing magic item purchases? In 5E, gold is a pretty boring reward without customizable magic. It doesn't motivate my players. They barely write down gold as it is unless they're a caster that needs it for spell components.

3. You toss on a timetable for the destruction of the world to force me as a player into your adventure. Why would I find this fun? Do you really think that you as a DM don't have to take into account the fun of the group? I have to do that every time I DM.

Look, I dont want to get into a judgement of your version of 'collaborative play' or really get into why you have to be so combatative but thats neither here nor there.

You want a test of high level play. High level play involves the PCs dictating. Standard adventure hooks don't work any longer. Gold is fairly meaningless. Magic items matter far more. Players ask themselves if this is fun and worth their time. They've been playing the same characters for however long it took to get to 13th level. They have personal goals usually involving obtaining a cool magic item they can use. They have a lot resources for planning and don't like to be put on a timetable that takes away their resources or they feel you're jerking them around as a DM.

A NPC of some importance has just offered your PC (and 4 other PCs) vast wealth (100,000 GP), royal titles and so forth to do a quest. He's hinted (strongly) that the world is about to blow up in about 5 hours time killing eveything. Are you telling me that of the five characters sitting in that pub, none of them buy this hook?

I'm telling you that me as a player find this hook uninteresting. It doesn't sound fun. It sounds like artificial motivation to do a quest for items I can't use for money that I can't use to do much. Why do you think gold motivates high level characters in a world without custom created magic items? In 3E this might have been motivating because the group would have item creation feats and would start planning out what magic items they planned to build. That isn't the case in 5E.

None of these five players have any intrest in noble titles, the Kings favor, vast wealth or not blowing up in 5 hours time?

Noble titles mean nothing in D&D. One of the characters is in fact already a noble, so she has noble titles. Gold is easy to come by for 13th level characters and fairly worthless in 5E. Imagine my surprise when I heard this from my players. I asked them if they were writing down their gold. One player tells he hasn't bothered after buying plate mail because he can't buy magic items and doesn't care about keeping track of gold. The other players complained they have nothing to spend their gold on but 50 gold healing potions and they have too many of those as it is. This is following the 5E standard rules.

So no, gold isn't worth much.

Five hours to kill? When my players have earned a character to 13th level, all they care about is keeping it alive. A living 13th level character is more valuable to them than just about anything else.

Instead you would rather just insult this bloke, and potentialy make very powerful enemies?

The way I see it your wizard is insulting my characters. You the DM have made a lot of assumptions that should not have been.

No, you dont have a Pegasus and a Flying carpet. You have unlimited (within reason) standard gear from the PHB, spell components within reason, and a few magic items (to be determined)

So a bunch of other adventurers with Pegasus and flying carpets went off to the mountain.

He doesnt or you'd already be dead. In case you havent figured it out yet, he's trying to hire you, not kill you.

You hire adventurers by claiming you have a "slate" to wipe clean? You way overstepped as a DM. I'm wondering treat you players in this fashion because I would not tolerate it as a player.

Why? How on earth is this relevant to the adventure for the purpose of the thread?

You wanted to run this as an adventure. As a player I don't want walk into unknown situations. I am notorious scout and researcher. I tend to always find out where I'm going and who I'm dealing with in any game I play.

I'm going to stop this right here as far as roleplaying goes. I'm not interested in the way you like to DM. We're already at a point where I would have left your game as far as your DMing style. I don't like games with artificial timetables. I don't like DMs that assume my characters have criminal records when I would work to avoid that. I don't like illogical plot hooks where more powerful heroes riding Pegasus and flying carpets have been sent to do something that some archmage is paying weaker characters to do for reasons unknown. I'm also not much motivated by the items in this adventure considering only one character might use them.

The Archmage standing in front of you would love to see you try.

Assume Forgotten realms levels of power. If Manshoon, Tzass Thaam, Fzoul Chembryll and co cant do it, a bunch of 13th level CN PCs wont either.

You are aware that the game doesn't go much beyond lvl 20 now. And that five lvl 13 characters would likely kill 5E designed Elminster, Manshoon or the like unless you created them far outside the parameters of an archmage? An archmage in 5E is a CR 13 enemy that is a medium encounter for lvl 13 PCs. And even the so named characters would likely be in the CR 20 to 23 range. You would have design them in a fashion that far exceeds what 5E is capable of to make them challenging? And by doing so, you would remove any feel the PCs have of power in the realm at the same time. This would also be another deal breaker in our games as the players prefer to be the biggest heroes in the realm they are adventuring. Given I believe this should be the case as a DM, I run the game accordingly and keep such characters out of their way.

So we'll stick with this as a combat simulation. I'll get the combat stats done up soon enough. We'll run the combats. I'm done roleplaying. I would never run in an adventure of this kind with my lvl 13 characters or tolerate some king bothering me or heroes with flying mounts and magic items far in excess of what I have after completing most of the possible levels of the game.

Last edited:

BMaC

Adventurer
Look, this is actually a really useful idea and it would be great to see how it works out. So let's run the numbers on it and leave the meta arguments to other threads.

Radaceus

Adventurer
on an aside,
You guys got me thinking about Making high level PCs, and about how many Magic items higher level PCs would have according to the suggestion in the DMG pg 133.

I was bored, here is my test results

[sblock=Campaign Magic Items according to DMG]

From the DMG pg 133 ( last paragraph)
Over the course of a typical campaign, a party finds treasure hoards amounting to seven rolls on the Challenge 0-4 table, eighteen rolls on the Challenge 5-10 table, twelve rolls on the Challenge 11-16 table, and eight rolls on the Challenge 17+ table.

Sample

Challenge Table Roll Results
Challenge 0-4 table 11,74,52,54,78,21,10
Challenge 5-10 table 38,87,88,42,47,26,14,100,83,30,17,75,35,43,34,52,57,56
Challenge 11-16 table 65,74,33,17,24,20,15,10,40,52,44,57
Challenge 17+ table 100,28,85,9,45,41,100,15

RED= No rolls on Magic Item tables

Roll Summary
Challenge Table Roll Results
Challenge 0-4 table 11,74,52,54,78,21,10
- roll 2d6 x on Table A, roll 1d4 x on Table B , and roll 1d4 x on Table C

Challenge 5-10 table 38,87,88,42,47,26,14,100,83,30,17,75,35,43,34,52,57,56
- roll 6d6 x on Table A, roll 4d4 x on Table B, Roll once on Table D, Roll 3d4 x on Table F, and once on Table H

Challenge 11-16 table 65,74,33,17,24,20,15,10,40,52,44,57
- roll 2d4 x on Table A, roll 2d6 x on Table B, roll 3d6 x on Table C, Roll 3d4 x on Table D, and once on Table E

Challenge 17+ table 100,28,85,9,45,41,100,15
- roll 1d8 x on Table C, roll 4d6 x on Table D, roll 3d4 x on Table I

Magic Item Table Roll Results (totals per Challenge Table)
Table A (0-4) = 7, (5-10) = 18, (11-16)= 8
Table B (0-4) = 4, (5-10) = 7, (11-16)= 7
Table C (0-4) = 1, (11-16)= 15, (17+)= 8
Table D (5-10) = 1, (11-16)= 9, (17+)= 17
Table E (11-16)= 1
Table F (5-10) = 10
Table H (5-10) = 1
Table I (17+)= 6

Percentile results for items
Table Challenge 0-4 Challenge 5-10Challenge 11-16 Challenge 17+
Magic Item Table A 85,2,47,13,84,8 70,13,99,55,72,84,50,95,80,8, 60,23,5,29,39,22,47,58 40,50,92,32,1,76,80,1
Magic Item Table B 99,30,49,77 65,22,9,82,66,94,42 58,78,15,8,71,96,28
Magic Item Table C 66 91,87,58,4,67,2,42,83,21,45,79,65,51,27,38 81,48,68,31,57,72,92,17
Magic Item Table D 22 87,84,72,1,86,62,99,21,51 47,74,40,90,17,50,51,5,64,99,14,1,77,89,40,88,27
Magic Item Table E 7
Magic Item Table F 7,62,24,19,88,70,63,26,10,89
Magic Item Table H 37
Magic Item Table I 69,38,43,89,5,45

[/sblock]

Remove ads