DMs Guild DMs Guild & Art work ?

BMaC

Adventurer
Art is not part of the DMs Guild license. I quoted the part that says that above. In any case SA does not prohibit commercial, just distrubuting under a different license. Would be nice if wizards wiuld clear it up.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Where / how do these authors source the Art for their ebooks ?
I reached out to my network of gamer friends, some of whom are professional artists, and received recommendations from fellow independent publishers that have gone through the motions of purchasing artwork for their products.

I realize not everyone will have these sort of contacts, but I believe it's possible to build a network of talented people that can provide artwork at reasonable rates.

Of course going through the motions to build a network takes time, which is another hidden cost WotC doesn't have to bear the burden of, but it's worth the effort if you can find ways to support artists a little bit at a time--even if it's just Liking their Facebook page, for example.

Another way is to leave comments on pieces of art posted to Facebook by your favorite artists (those who allow comments from followers as well as friends) whenever a piece of art or an image of a work in progress really grabs your attention.

What goes around comes around. A little effort each day pays dividends down the road.

Art is not part of the DMs Guild license. I quoted the part that says that above. In any case SA does not prohibit commercial, just distrubuting under a different license. Would be nice if wizards wiuld clear it up.
I asked Mike Mearls about this on the AMA. His response to it and similar questions was "ask a lawyer". Which is likely the official stance: it's all there, you just need a legal consultation.

While also not a lawyer it seems pretty clear: you have two licences, and have to comply with both to use the art. But in this case, the Share Alike part of one conflicts with the Exclusivity part of the other, meaning the licences are just incompatible. Which is unfortunate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases