Technicalities of running an online game

maddman75

First Post
Another option that isn't free is Neverwinter Nights. This game will allow you to design your own settings and adventures and play them online. You can find players easily on http://www.neverwinterconnections.com

The toolset (used to design adventures) is very easy to use. For a DMed adventure no code is needed at all. If you want to code something in, most of the common tasks are available online already written. Other than that, it's click and point to design your towns, dungeons, villains, etc.

The game is highly customizable. A weapon for instance can be built up with various properties, given a custom description, given a custom appearance. You can even do blueprints, to create uniforms or other standard gear. If that's not enough, you can import new material into the game through hakpaks.

The DM client allows you to control the action. Create creatures, control them directly, issue them commands, possess NPCs, whatever you need to do. There's even a class on NWconnections to tell you how to use the client.

There are over 2000 adventures available online. I consider NWN to be the first real computer role playing game. Don't play on open servers - that's about as thrilling as Battle.net. On a closed server with a regular group is as close as I've ever gotten to D&D on the computer.

Of course it isn't free, and if you have existing players they'll have to buy it. And have a computer that can run it. Also, the host needs a fast internet connection - but IIRC there's a way you can get hosted on NWConnections if need be.

Great game, just be aware of the options.

Norfleet

First Post
Practically all the games I've run are online, since IRL, I'm antisocial and live in godknowswhere.

MUSHes are clearly the way to go: With easy ability to script things up as play aids, I used to host games in a room full of little machines that handled things, including my immensely bloated and complicated rules for combat, which, operated over a table, would probably take an hour to resolve a single round, but operated online, could spit out the gruesome aftermath of a decapitation, right down the details of who got blood splattered on them, in less time than it took to declare the attack.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Harlock said:
I recommend using the server that houses the official EN World chat channel. It is server: chat.psionics.net and you can use ports 6660 through 6669 to connect. You can create a channel to run a game and if you talk to a server op or the server owner who goes by the handle "bynw" or the server head admin person who goes by "thatdarncat" they may be willing to set up some special semi permanent channel deal, but then again, they may not be able to. As far as dice go, there are a couple of bots that are on the server at almost any given time. My favorite is "Golem" who you can bring into your channel if you create it and are the operator by typing: /invite golem [enter] There is another dicebot named "boxcars" that works just as well but doesn't have the fun personalized triggers. If you have questions or want to check out the server connect to it and join #dnd3e. That's the official ENWorld chat channel and it usually has a live operator or two as well as some friendly folk who can maybe help you. I hope that's a good start for you.

Ello all :) Technically, I'm only Systems Manager, not an admin, but I'll be glad to help out. #dnd3e is a great channel for you to come to if you want to start up an IRC game. If you need help with the server, come to the server help channel, #services (type /join #services).

www.psionics.net is the network's homepage, with links to downloads of popular IRC clients and help on using IRC.

If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail at thatdarncat@psionics.net :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases