[March 2016]: What are you reading?

delericho

Legend
Another thread for another month...

I'm currently reading "Trigger Warning", the third short story collection from Neil Gaiman. I'm very much enjoying it - I just wish he'd write a little more prolifically!

Next up will be "Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Neil Gaiman is always fun. Just finished "Cryptonomicon" from Neal Stephenson. I'm about to start "The Sleepwalkers."

"The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 is historian Christopher Clark’s riveting account of the explosive beginnings of World War I.

Drawing on new scholarship, Clark offers a fresh look at World War I, focusing not on the battles and atrocities of the war itself, but on the complex events and relationships that led a group of well-meaning leaders into brutal conflict.

Clark traces the paths to war in a minute-by-minute, action-packed narrative that cuts between the key decision centers in Vienna, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Paris, London, and Belgrade, and examines the decades of history that informed the events of 1914 and details the mutual misunderstandings and unintended signals that drove the crisis forward in a few short weeks."

delericho

Legend
"The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 is historian Christopher Clark’s riveting account of the explosive beginnings of World War I.

Drawing on new scholarship, Clark offers a fresh look at World War I, focusing not on the battles and atrocities of the war itself, but on the complex events and relationships that led a group of well-meaning leaders into brutal conflict.

Clark traces the paths to war in a minute-by-minute, action-packed narrative that cuts between the key decision centers in Vienna, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Paris, London, and Belgrade, and examines the decades of history that informed the events of 1914 and details the mutual misunderstandings and unintended signals that drove the crisis forward in a few short weeks."

That sounds like a good read.

ccs

41st lv DM
I just started "The Edge of the World" by Kevin J Anderson.
I've read stuff of his that I liked & stuff I've hated over the years. As I'm only about 50 pages in I can't tell wich way this one will go yet.
Sure, I guess I could go read some reviews. But where's the fun in that?

Nellisir

Hero
I've got Brideshead Revisited on a shelf to be read. I think I'll go find it.

I just started City of Stairs, the book before City of Blades. I think Robert Bennett Jackson should be better known than he is. His writing is excellent and he seems pretty cool, judging by his blog.

I got Blue Remembered Earth from the library to read afterwards.

Edit: Finished City of Stairs. 5/5. I found Brideshead Revisited, so will give that a whirl.

Last edited:

Finishing up Rich Wulf's "Rise of the Seventh Moon..... part III of the Heir of Ash Eberron series

After that I continue working on my Eberron Timeline by reading Tim Waggoner's Lady Ruin.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Ah, that's one of my favorite novels! How did you like it?

I liked it, but I didn't quite understand why Randy was so hero-worshipped at the end. It was a shared endeavor by Randy and his co-workers, but the ending makes it sound as if only he was so recognized. He did do a lot of heroic things, but there is no way the outside world would have learned about his main contributions, since he would have been imprisoned for those things if revealed.

Nellisir

Hero
Finished Blue Remembered Earth (4/5) and Brideshead Revisited (5/5). Not sure Brideshead was a smart move considering my mood and the state of my life, but it's beautifully done and I can pick up something new. I've got Cryptonomicon on the shelf, so maybe that?

Oops, posted this in the wrong month...

Finished Ender’s Game. I’ve got mixed feelings about the book, but I enjoyed it. Next up is the Ballad of Black Tom novella.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases