Thoughts on running Death House

Wuzzard

First Post
When I ran Death House it took 5 2-hour sessions (most were more like 2.5 hours though, so more than 10 hours to play through). Everyone had fun. No PC's died, but a few dropped and were revived.

Anthraxus

Explorer
I ran DH in about 5 or 6 hours, in one setting. We went through the house part just fine, really going into detail and roleplaying. I had printed out the maps in a near-1" square format, and I said "Ok, move yourselves where you want to be when you do something. That way, I know *exactly* where you are when something happens." That worked great.

"You're not in the room, you went into the hall to check something!"

I had to rush it a little bit at the end, but there was a really tense scene near the end with the Altar, and we had 2 PC deaths. Not bad! ;)

Daern

Explorer
I ran session two of Death House tuesday. They were in the basement. I have to admit I held back a bit with the Ghouls (tactically0), and again with the Ghasts (lowered hp) The Shadows made the party fully run away, which hasn't happened in a long time. They are scared to go back to the Darklord's room. They found the crypts and put the childrens' souls to rest. One of the souls was possessing a character, so that was a good roleplaying moment.
So, I shied away from killing any characters, but the players are certainly running scared. They are resting up, leveled to 3rd and about to descend to the sub basement. I've provided them with the "Fingerbone of St. Andral", which I will allow to be used as a sacrifice on the altar. We shall see how that goes.
Party is a barbarian, Wizard, Fighter(MonsterHunter), and a Thief (Arcane Trickster). No cleric is pretty tough.

Remove ads