D&D 5E [Merged] Ravenloft Now Open to Creators on DM's Guild

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I meant that Sithicus, a Dragonlance derivative, and Kalidnay, a Dark Sun derivative, are now valid published sources for expansion as 5e DMs Guild products -- i.e., are any Dragonlance or Dark Sun campaign items mentioned or detailed in a Ravenloft product open for expansion?

When you consider that Sithicus is not 'the Dragonlance campaign setting in Ravenloft' but rather 'a Ravenloft domain specifically crafted to torment Lord Soth', the size of the can of worms seems significantly smaller.

--
Pauper

When you consider that Sithicus is not 'the Dragonlance campaign setting in Ravenloft' but rather 'a Ravenloft domain specifically crafted to torment Lord Soth', the size of the can of worms seems significantly smaller.

--
Pauper

While, yes, Sithicus is not on Krynn, it houses Silvanesti elves, kender, examples of moon magic, and a culture shaped by a Knight of Solamnia -- a small can, but still a can. Kalidnay, on the otherhand, houses all of the Dark Sun PC races (except Thri-Kreen), Defiler wizards, and Templars -- all apparently now open game, as long as examples are indicated in the source material. There are also examples of other settings, such as Greyhawk, throughout the Ravenloft material. While it's not expansive, I wonder if they considered these as they opened these sources for expansion. I'm not saying that we're likely to see third-party campaign books anytime soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kalidnay Adventurer's Guide pop up that serves as a source for most Dark Sun PCs, or a "Heroes of the Black Rose" sourcebook that details the residents of Sithicus for PC building.

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Well, sure, if you provide stats on playing a Mul in 5E Ravenloft, an enterprising DM could combine that with the existing Dark Sun material from previous editions to help run a 5E Dark Sun campaign.

That's a lot different from saying 'Dark Sun is open material for the DMs Guild', especially since Kalidnay is very different from the core Dark Sun setting in some pretty significant ways.

--
Pauper

RCanine

First Post
They don't? Are there non-FR settings on DMsG?

There's Kender, lovecraftian stuff, space stuff, and tons of places that aren't on Toril. There's not, like an official Dark Sun sourcebook or anything, but it's pretty clear they're not overly policing this stuff lore-wise.

That said, if someone's been taken down for not being Faerûnian enough, let us know.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
They're probably not policing it closely, and if you need Kender for your Ravenloft adventure, I suppose that's fair enough, but I don't think it's exactly a back door into DL. Talk about the kender in Lord Soth's domain. The kender of Kendermore are probably not quite the same! :)

I just posted my first RL supplement up there, a background on the cheap. It was fun to make!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's Kender, lovecraftian stuff, space stuff, and tons of places that aren't on Toril. There's not, like an official Dark Sun sourcebook or anything, but it's pretty clear they're not overly policing this stuff lore-wise.

That said, if someone's been taken down for not being Faerûnian enough, let us know.

The rule isn't "must be in FR" it's "not set in a setting other than FR". System neutral stuff (like generic space and lovecraftian stuff) is fine.

RCanine

First Post
The rule isn't "must be in FR" it's "not set in a setting other than FR". System neutral stuff (like generic space and lovecraftian stuff) is fine.

If Mi-Go, Kender and locations not on Faerun are all "setting neutral" then I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything that isn't setting-neutral.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If Mi-Go, Kender and locations not on Faerun are all "setting neutral" then I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything that isn't setting-neutral.

It's the setting, not the building blocks. They're perfectly happy for you to put Kender in your FR campaign if you want to. The issue isn't about what components you use.

But the semantics of the issue aren't very interesting. Suffice it to say that you and WotC disagree on it.

Remove ads