New ALPG (and ALDMG) have dropped!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Highlights (since these are public docs, I'm not using SPOILER tags):

- Spellcasting services during Season 4 are only available from Jeny Greenteeth, the hag from DDEX 1-8, Tales Trees Tell. Characters with the Acolyte background can not use their background benefit during Season 4 adventures. Spells cast by Jeny also have a downtime day cost, unless the character agrees to perform a random task for Jeny as determined by a table included in the ALDMG.

- Faction Charity during Season 4 is more accurately Dark Power Charity -- any character who returns from the dead via this method gains a Dark Gift (determined randomly) and the 'Touched by the Mists' story award (which makes you appear to be an evil undead creature when in the area of effect of a Detect Good and Evil spell). The advantage is that the character can choose to use this free resurrection during the adventure, and returns to life at "the start of the next round", not necessarily on his turn in the initiative order. The Dark Gift can be removed by a Remove Curse spell, but it is not clear if the story award is also removed if the Dark Gift is removed.

Edit: a later sidebar notes that, while in Barovia, characters can gain renown points, but do not advance in rank or have the ability to undertake secret missions until after they return to Faerun.

- DM XP is now determined from a matrix based on the target level of the adventure and the length of the adventure (2 or 4 hours). Running a hard-cover adventure grants DM XP for each 2 hour *session* run, regardless of whether that session ends or contains the end of an episode. The DM also earns gold equal to half the amount of XP gained for the session. Every two hours of play gives a DM 5 downtime days as a reward.

- DMs can also download a 'DM Quest' pack from the DMs Guild; completing the quest tasks on this packet grants the DM additional rewards as noted in the packet.

- Allowed Rules for Curse of Strahd are the PH/Basic Rules (the SRD is not mentioned but is included by implication as it has replaced the Basic Rules), Curse of Strahd Appendix A (the Haunted One background and the list of Gothic trinkets), Monster Manual Appendix A (beasts only), and the SCAG. There is a sidebar that indicates what material from SCAG is modified or disallowed for AL play. Use of the EEPG instead of the SCAG is not noted, so it is not clear if it is allowed.

- The section on Deities explicitly allows a choice from the Forgotten Realms deities listed in the PH as well as in the SCAG.

- Starting lifestyles for backgrounds from the SCAG are included.

- "Certain rechargeable items can be recharged only within a particular storyline, including items such as wingwear and balloon packs from the Elemental Evil storyline. Such items are treated as consumable items outside that storyline." So while you are playing Season 2 modules or the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure, those items do still count as permanent, rechargeable items -- I assume this would include if you take a character who had played adventures outside of Season 2 and returned to play other Season 2 adventures (such as a character returning to play Tier 2 adventures after reaching level 5).

- "Once characters enter Barovia by playing the launch event adventure Death House, DDAL-4-01 Suits of the Mists, or the hardback Curse of Strahd adventure, they cannot return to Faerun. As long as they are trapped in Strahd's realm, characters cannot participate in any adventure or event that takes place outside Barovia."

--
Pauper

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
"The character’s eyes melt away, leaving empty sockets. He or she has disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks, but gains blindsight out to a range of 60 feet. The character is blind beyond this distance."

This is waaaaay overpowered and should be rethought. Otherwise a lot of tactics just got monstrously powerful.

kalani

First Post
- Faction Charity during Season 4 is more accurately Dark Power Charity -- any character who returns from the dead via this method gains a Dark Gift (determined randomly) and the 'Touched by the Mists' story award (which makes you appear to be an evil undead creature when in the area of effect of a Detect Good and Evil spell). The advantage is that the character can choose to use this free resurrection during the adventure, and returns to life at "the start of the next round", not necessarily on his turn in the initiative order. The Dark Gift can be removed by a Remove Curse spell, but it is not clear if the story award is also removed if the Dark Gift is removed.
It clearly states that the story award Touched By the Mists is not removed when the curse is lifted. No method of removing this story award is listed anywhere within the document.
- Allowed Rules for Curse of Strahd are the PH/Basic Rules (the SRD is not mentioned but is included by implication as it has replaced the Basic Rules), Curse of Strahd Appendix A (the Haunted One background and the list of Gothic trinkets), Monster Manual Appendix A (beasts only), and the SCAG. There is a sidebar that indicates what material from SCAG is modified or disallowed for AL play. Use of the EEPG instead of the SCAG is not noted, so it is not clear if it is allowed.
The EEPC is only allowed for characters with the Elemental Evil story origin. Such characters must choose either the EEPC or SCAG (not both) when creating or leveling their character. Players can still choose the EE story origin as normal (listed in the back of the ALPG v4 after the Faction guide; alongside the ToD and RoD story origins), but if they do they cannot use the Haunted One background (or its feature), the gothic trinkets, or purchase a monster hunter's pack before/between sessions. The Monster hunter's pack would be available to non-CoS characters only if it is specifically available for purchase within an adventure (a detail I cannot confirm at this time).

"Certain rechargeable items can be recharged only within a particular storyline, including items such as wingwear and balloon packs from the Elemental Evil storyline. Such items are treated as consumable items outside that storyline." So while you are playing Season 2 modules or the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure, those items do still count as permanent, rechargeable items -- I assume this would include if you take a character who had played adventures outside of Season 2 and returned to play other Season 2 adventures (such as a character returning to play Tier 2 adventures after reaching level 5).
Pretty much. Keep in mind that consumable items such as balloon packs, wingwear or keoghotms ointments count against your item total until used (at which point they are removed). Ordinary potions and scrolls have never seemed to be included in this rule to my knowledge (or if they are, nobody has ever brought this up as an issue).

- "Once characters enter Barovia by playing the launch event adventure Death House, DDAL-4-01 Suits of the Mists, or the hardback Curse of Strahd adventure, they cannot return to Faerun. As long as they are trapped in Strahd's realm, characters cannot participate in any adventure or event that takes place outside Barovia."
It should be noted that characters who enter Barovia via the DDAL modules will gain a story award which prohibits them from playing non-S4 adventures until the story award is removed. I assume the rule in the PG is a nod to that story award.

Remove Curse gets rid of that particular "gift". If you have players who are abusing what is otherwise a really cool curse, you could always have Jeny Greenteeth decide to Remove Curse out of the kindness of her shriveled little heart.

kalani

First Post
Remove Curse gets rid of that particular "gift". If you have players who are abusing what is otherwise a really cool curse, you could always have Jeny Greenteeth decide to Remove Curse out of the kindness of her shriveled little heart.
It gets rid of the dark gift, but it does not remove the associated story award and I quote:
Dark gifts last until the character receives a remove curse. If a character accepts resurrection by the Dark Powers, that character earns the Touched by the Mists story award, which is not removed when the character receives a remove curse.
The interesting thing I note about the dark gift, is that it is removed any time the character receives a remove curse spell, even if it was intended to remove another effect (such as Lycanthropy for example).

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
It clearly states that the story award Touched By the Mists is not removed when the curse is lifted. No method of removing this story award is listed anywhere within the document.

Re-reading the Guide, it is clear that this is the case. Be prepared for players who only glance at the Guide to miss this reference.

The EEPC is only allowed for characters with the Elemental Evil story origin. Such characters must choose either the EEPC or SCAG (not both) when creating or leveling their character.

It should be noted that this option is not listed in the ALPG under the Elemental Evil past storyline season rules; the SCAG is not listed as an allowed rules option for Elemental Evil, nor is it listed as an allowed rules option under Tyranny of Dragons. SCAG is listed as an allowed rules source for Rage of Demons (including the sidebar that notes which rules in SCAG are modified or disallowed for AL).

If this is intended to be a change to the current understanding of how allowed rules options are meant to be, confirmation from someone on the admin team would be appreciated.

Pretty much. Keep in mind that consumable items such as balloon packs, wingwear or keoghotms ointments count against your item total until used (at which point they are removed). Ordinary potions and scrolls have never seemed to be included in this rule to my knowledge (or if they are, nobody has ever brought this up as an issue).

The new ALPG is clearer on this -- it notes that "[a]ny magic item that has a small number of uses does not count as a permanent magic item" unless it is a wand or "other magic item that [has] charges that reset", which do count as permanent items. Based on this description, Keoghtom's Ointment (listed in the SRD as "Restorative Ointment", p.238) is consumable, since its charges do not reset.

I'd also assume that any item where the description notes that the item becomes "nonmagical" once its charges are expended (Ring of Three Wishes, Rod of Absorption, etc.) would also no longer count against your permanent magic item total, since the item is no longer magical, but the Magic Item FAQ makes this unclear, as it notes that even a 'broken' magic item still counts against your permanent magic item total.

It should be noted that characters who enter Barovia via the DDAL modules will gain a story award which prohibits them from playing non-S4 adventures until the story award is removed. I assume the rule in the PG is a nod to that story award.

The note in the ALPG goes above and beyond the story award -- especially as Death House, as presented in Curse of Strahd and Dragon+, does not contain an exit from Ravenloft, only from the house. (There could be something in the extended Game Day material that might allow characters played this weekend in the Game Day events to leave Ravenloft when they exit the house, though.)

--
Pauper

Glad to see it came out in time for the start of the season. There are two things of note that caught my eye.

1. The end of season date is much later than what was listed in the Death House Instructions PDF that came out a few weeks ago. I wonder what warranted the change.

2. The SCAG sidebar says that only elves can be bladesingers, but the SCAG allows for both elves and half-elves to take the subclass. Is this a typo on the part of the ALPG, or was the half-elf option just arbitrarily removed for AL play? I know that this is likely to come up at some point at some tables, so I wanted to get an official response on this before a billion "Why no half-elf bladesinger" threads pop up on the forum.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
It has been noted by the admins that there are a handful of typos and omissions.

SCAG is an evergreen option and should be listed for all story origins

Half-elves can still be blade singers. They count as elves for the purpose of the guide.

If there are any further typos I will let people know as soon as the admins address them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases