5E Enhancing "Curse of Strahd" (and DDAL adventures)
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114
  1. #1

    Enhancing "Curse of Strahd" (and DDAL adventures)

    Now that Curse of Strahd is out, I figure this is a good time to hear about how people are planning to run it! My own table is going to start CoS as soon as we finish Tyranny of Dragons (we were going to do Princes of the Apocalypse, but my players are major Ravenloft fans, so as soon as this was announced, it went to the front of the line).

    So, let us know what changes you make and how they work out at the table!

    How are you starting the adventure, if your campaign doesn't take place in the Forgotten Realms? Is anyone moving Barovia wholesale to a different world/plane?

    I'm also particularly interested in hearing about how the DDAL adventures can be worked into a Curse of Strahd campaign, or vice-versa.

  2. #2
    Barovia is not part of the Forgotten Realms. There are entrances into Barovia from all the D&D worlds, or rather, people stumble into Barovia from all the other worlds. So you do not need to move it or modify it unless there is something you really want to change or adapt.

  3. #3
    Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    MerricB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waubra, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    13,107
    Reviews
    Read 11 Reviews
    D&D Adventurer's LeagueGreyhawkD&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

    Block MerricB


    Friend+
    I'm posting session reports and DM notes on my blog.

    My version of Barovia *might* be in the Forgotten Realms... I've made that quite unclear to the players. No mists greeted their entrance...

    Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Musings - reviews, session reports, play advice
    The Great List of D&D 5E Adventures
    XP jayoungr gave XP for this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    474
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Z. H. Darkstar


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoungr View Post
    I'm also particularly interested in hearing about how the DDAL adventures can be worked into a Curse of Strahd campaign, or vice-versa.
    The DDAL4-X adventures are designed to be run consecutively and separate from CoS. Unlike previous seasons, these were written as two contiguous storylines, DDAL4-1 to DDAL4-6 and DDAL4-7 to DDAL4-14. I wouldn't bother trying to mix them with CoS, as they have modified xp progression when compared to previous season DDAL adventures.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Enevhar Aldarion View Post
    Barovia is not part of the Forgotten Realms. There are entrances into Barovia from all the D&D worlds, or rather, people stumble into Barovia from all the other worlds. So you do not need to move it or modify it unless there is something you really want to change or adapt.
    Yes, I phrased the question badly. I'll be running this for a group of experienced players who have already run through the previous Castle Ravenloft adventures, but they placed Ravenloft in their own homebrew world. It's been located there since 1E. I was wondering if anyone else was moving Curse of Strahd to a different setting, and if so, what problems it might pose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z. H. Darkstar View Post
    The DDAL4-X adventures are designed to be run consecutively and separate from CoS. Unlike previous seasons, these were written as two contiguous storylines, DDAL4-1 to DDAL4-6 and DDAL4-7 to DDAL4-14. I wouldn't bother trying to mix them with CoS, as they have modified xp progression when compared to previous season DDAL adventures.
    Is that the only reason? I'm not worried about XP, as I'll be using milestone progression. Obviously we haven't seen all the DDAL adventures yet--unless they're up somewhere I don't know about--but I had the impression the storyline(s) would dovetail with Curse of Strahd at least to some degree.

    Quote Originally Posted by MerricB View Post
    I'm posting session reports and DM notes on my blog.
    Great! I'll just put a direct link to the CoS category here for anyone who might want it: http://merricb.com/category/curse-of-strahd/

    My version of Barovia *might* be in the Forgotten Realms... I've made that quite unclear to the players. No mists greeted their entrance...
    What things do you need to modify in the adventure to make this work?

  6. #6
    Also adding a link to @merric's recap and GM notes thread here:

    http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...s-and-DM-notes
    XP TarionzCousin gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    I've not gotten my CoS book yet, but I'm thinking I'm going to be using miniatures and a battle mat for parts of it.

    Now I need to figure out how many miniatures I'll need to find. I figure I'm going to need more than the two wolves that I have and I don't have any bat swarms.

  8. #8
    Member
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    474
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Z. H. Darkstar


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHotter View Post
    I've not gotten my CoS book yet, but I'm thinking I'm going to be using miniatures and a battle mat for parts of it.

    Now I need to figure out how many miniatures I'll need to find. I figure I'm going to need more than the two wolves that I have and I don't have any bat swarms.
    Honestly, I wouldn't stress too much over making sure you have the exact miniatures. I have a Bag O' Zombies that I use for grunts, plus a set of generic fantasy minis, colloquially known as the Blue Man Group and the Red Man, that are used for middle management and bosses.

    The key to successful miniature using is making sure that you have enough pieces of appropriate size, rather than of appropriate types.

    BTW, a soda can fits a 3x3 space, making it useful for Huge creatures in a pinch. :P

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Z. H. Darkstar View Post
    The DDAL4-X adventures are designed to be run consecutively and separate from CoS. Unlike previous seasons, these were written as two contiguous storylines, DDAL4-1 to DDAL4-6 and DDAL4-7 to DDAL4-14. I wouldn't bother trying to mix them with CoS, as they have modified xp progression when compared to previous season DDAL adventures.
    Is it possible to run the DDAL4* adventures without buying Curse of Strahd?

  10. #10
    Member
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    474
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Z. H. Darkstar


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstone.Walker View Post
    Is it possible to run the DDAL4* adventures without buying Curse of Strahd?
    Yes. You simply buy the DDAL modules from DMsGuild. The only thing you'll be missing is the Haunted One background, which was already released on its own for free.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Enhancing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)
    By jayoungr in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 348
    Last Post: Wednesday, 7th June, 2017, 06:14 PM
  2. Enhancing "Rise of Tiamat" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)
    By jayoungr in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: Wednesday, 24th May, 2017, 11:33 AM
  3. Here's WotC's 14-Adventure CURSE OF STRAHD Series For DDAL
    By Morrus in forum D&D Adventurer's League
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Wednesday, 9th March, 2016, 10:48 PM
  4. Curse of Strahd vs. DDAL adventures
    By HawaiiSteveO in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 25th February, 2016, 09:22 PM
  5. Enhancing "Princes of the Apocalypse" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)
    By jayoungr in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Saturday, 19th December, 2015, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •