AL and Deep Gnomes

jrothwell

First Post
At least one of my players is asking about Deep Gnomes as a playable race in CoS. I have been reading through all the information and I think it can be argued either way.From ALPG4"• Races or other options that are mentioned but whoserules are found in another source (for example, aasimarand genasi) do not become legal without other campaigndocumentation unless that source is also legal for yourcharacter’s story origin."That could argue since the Deep Gnome race is in the EEPC that you cannot use it for CoS. However, it is also in SCAG so yes, it can be a playable race. What do you guys think?Secondary to that if Deep Gnome is a playable race then do they automatically get the Deep Gnome feet because this is AL?

Deep Gnomes are the only non-PHB subrace that can be used with either the EEPC or SCAG, but not both at the same time. The feat is allowable, but must be taken in lieu of an ASI, like any other feat.

Last edited:

jrothwell

First Post
I get that. But where does it say that you lose an ASI. I looked in the feats section, the only place I see that is in the variant human.

jrothwell

First Post
You have access to the feat, but don't get it automatically.

My understanding from AL is that anything that says a DM can allow, is a DM must allow as long as it is in the listed sources for the ALPG. I cannot find anywhere that it says to take the feat you must lose an ASI for the Deep Gnome. I know that the variant human has this option but that is a little different.

StinkyEttin

First Post
My understanding from AL is that anything that says a DM can allow, is a DM must allow as long as it is in the listed sources for the ALPG. I cannot find anywhere that it says to take the feat you must lose an ASI for the Deep Gnome. I know that the variant human has this option but that is a little different.
It is a feat. There are only two ways to get a feat: by being a variant human or by choosing the feat instead of am ASI when you reach a particular level in a class. As deep gnomes are not variant humans, the only way to get the feat is by choosing it instead of an ASI as you level. In short, you cannot possess the feat at first level.

Byakugan

First Post
The same rule that keeps a PC from just saying 'I have every feat in the book!'

The regular rule is when you get a ASI, you can take:
+2 to one stat, OR
+1 to two stats, OR
Take a feat.

For deep gnome PCs of -ALL- classes, the first ASI they get is at level 4.

jrothwell

First Post
Excellent! Thank you very very much. That clears that right up. There are about 40 people that have been sending me multiple messages a day with questions and I am getting too tired to make sense of some of the questions. Especially when they come back with statements like "It says that the DM can allow it, since it is AL, they must, I am going to be a Deep Gnome Wizard with spells higher then 1st level." I am like, what???

Byakugan

First Post
If a player wants to play a deep gnome wizard with the racial feat at 4th level, the odds are very good they plan on abusing the Abjurer Arcane Ward feature. So be prepared for that. It is pretty cheesy but perfectly legal. The spammable nondetection spell does count as an abjuration spell.

Also worth noting is that deep gnomes are the only playable 120 ft darkvision race that does NOT have light sensitivities.

Remove ads