Diablo clone: path of exile

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I bought into the Beta way back when. It's great, but like all Diablo games/clones, you gotta like grinding to fully enjoy it.

The most interesting facet to me is the FF7 "materia"-like orbs that you can equip which gives your character its abilities. They are, in turn, tied to a tri-stat frame (STR, DEX, INT) and level up as you... uh... use them, I think. It's been a while. Some (all?) orbs do eventually max level and spawn new low-level ones (so you can sell the high-level ones and re-level secondary/tertiary copies).

One old complaint was that it didn't have any lower graphics setting than "Max"; this may have changed since 2012. :lol:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Thank you for the review!

A buddy of mine sent me an email and a link. I am rather reluctant to play this game out of concern that I will disappear like so many friends did with wow. By 'grind' I am guessing the constant play in wow is what you are referring to ?

MarkB

Legend
"Grind" basically means spending long periods on repetitive actions in order to collect resources that can be used for improvement - whether those resources are XP to level-up your character, crafting materials to make better items, or something else. Essentially, it's doing 'work' in a game in order to earn something that will (hopefully) enhance your future gameplay.

Scott DeWar

mining on WOW to get something, fishing to enhance a food item . . .? Like that? I did not get into wow as it seemed too addictive to me.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
mining on WOW to get something, fishing to enhance a food item . . .? Like that? I did not get into wow as it seemed too addictive to me.

the whole skill and upgrade system is based on collecting items, which means that you will be repeatedly going back and grinding through monsters in order to get upgrades

Scott DeWar

it is free, but I am having trouble navigating around. I know I need to select and connect to a client, but I do not see that button anywhere! And finding that instruction to do so was buried. They could use better organization skills.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
It is a very enjoyable game for a theory crafter, and anyone who enjoys the D2 style of crawl.

Some things to keep in mind when playing for the first time.

Don't worry about your first character being perfect, use it to test out a 'build' you may enjoy.

Keep in mind that crafting items in that game are the currency, there is no gold drop, like there is in many others of that genre.

If you get serious enough about it, use some of the free skill tree builders out there so as not to get too overwhelmed by the massive amount of choice presented.

It is a pretty decent game all told. I enjoy it in spurts, usually around when they push out new seasons, though Diablo 3 holds more of my attention. Out of the many builds I enjoy, I think the weapon (your choice) and shield currently, is the most beginner friendly. Really good damage and you don't have to concentrate of much besides staying alive and attacking.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases