Rank the (original) Trek movies

Rank the (original) Trek movies

• I: The Motion Picture... V'ger

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • II: Wrath of Khan... KHAAAAAN!

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • III: Search for Spock... Sir, someone is stealing the Enterprise!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IV: Voyage Home... transparent aluminum

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • V: Final Frontier... Why does God need a starship?

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • VI: Undiscovered Country... Shakespeare is best appreciated in the original Klingon

Votes: 6 24.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which is your favourite, and why? Original cast movies (1-6) only.

For me it's Khan then Voyage Home. Very different movies, but the best that Trek has to offer.

Choose your two favourite.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I like II best - but I wish there was a way to actually rank them in this poll, rather than just pick a facourite, because I think a lot of people's second and third choices may differ. For instance, I rather like III, but consider VI to be seriously overrated.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like II best - but I wish there was a way to actually rank them in this poll, rather than just pick a facourite, because I think a lot of people's second and third choices may differ. For instance, I rather like III, but consider VI to be seriously overrated.

I've changed it so can choose two, so pick your first and second favourite!

Ryujin

Legend
"The Voyage Home" and then "Wrath of Khan." "Double dumbass on you" trumps "KHAAAAAAAAAAN!"

"The Final Frontier", directed by Shatner, is at the bottom.

Khan
Spock
Undiscovered
Voyage
Motion Picture
Captain Kirk is Climbing the Mountain Why is He Climbing the Mountain Because He's in Love

Khan is simply the best story, best soundtrack, best villain, and best theme. Search for Spock continues to have very personal stakes in a fantastical setting, which I loved.

Undiscovered Country is great, and it works grandly for a final send-off, but it's too 'fate of the world' action-y, and doesn't have quite enough sci-fi. Still a good allegory.

The Voyage Home is really dated, and the soundtrack sucks, though it's got great performances and is quite funny.

The Motion Picture might, I dunno, be good if you're high?

The Final Frontier is bad.

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I voted Khan and Final Frontier.

There is just so much awesomeness in II: from the Moby Dick themes and quotes, to the ear bug things that freaked the hell out of me when I saw them, to the shirtless Montalban, to the fact that the plot tied directly into episodes from the series, etc.

Final Frontier is also great. "What does God need with a starship?" There are so many godlike beings in trek that it's nice to see the difference between power and divinity summed up in moments like this one:

[video=youtube;vweSLmSgO-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vweSLmSgO-k[/video]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I *love* the soundtrack to IV (though I agree II's is equally good). I don't think the film has dated, really. It's a time travel story, and as a period location it works even better and being less effects dependent it stands the test of time better than any of the others. It helps, I guess, that I very much like San Francisco as a city.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I *love* the soundtrack to IV (though I agree II's is equally good). I don't think the film has dated, really. It's a time travel story, and as a period location it works even better and being less effects dependent it stands the test of time better than any of the others. It helps, I guess, that I very much like San Francisco as a city.

When I think of IV, all I can think of is Spock dressed as a hippy and saying "They are not the hell your whales."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaan - Ricardo Montalban was just awesome and the story is quintessential Trek, it tied into the TV series and helped fill out the world-setting.

Vger - I like the whole premise of Vger and the twist of taking a real world event and directly projecting the consequences. The pacing is bad, the Trekkiness isn't there and things get convoluted but overall good premise.

Search for Spock - its a resurrection story made into great drama by spending time on it rather than just doing a hand wave.
Kirks melodrama was a bit ott but there is some good action scenes and nice set pieces plus Kruge going out in a ball of fire

Voyage Homes okay with its Time travel, environmentalism and slingshot around the sun, but I lost interest after Search for Spock

Last edited:

Remove ads