DM's Guild: What Do The Customers Think?

The DM's Guild has been around for a couple of months now. There have been lots of threads about it from the seller's point of view discussing all manner of aspects of the site (if you're thinking of selling there, there are tons of advice and discussion threads right here on EN World, covering things like price, art, folks sharing how much they've made, and so on). There haven't been quite so many from the customer's point of view, though. So what are your overall impressions of the DM's Guild, now you've had chance to get used to its offerings? What do you think of the products all these new publishers are offering? Are you using DM's Guild more or less than you were a month ago? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

DMsGuildProductLogoLarge.png

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, that is my contribution towards what I feel about DMs Guild, whether you like it or not.

True, although I obviously want access to the Player's Handbook, DMs Guide and the Monster Manual too. The point is that without these fundamental books, any PDF collection from 3rd party supplements and the like just doesn't have a frame of reference to a core as I'd like. If I turn up to a game night with my tablet or whatever, I want it to have everything I need. At the moment, for me, everything else is made redundant until that core material is released.
There are no plans to go PDF that we know of.

What do you feel about DM's Guild as it is advertised, i.e. a place to buy 3PP after you have bought the physical core books?

Silverborne

Explorer
I've purchased a few things so far. I am mostly looking for small things that can help me as a DM. More monsters and NPC stats, simple locations, villages, basic dungeons, etc. I have my own campaign world and adventures, but it is nice to have a wider array of easy to use tools. The hard part is finding the things I am looking for. A better sorting system would be very nice and it would draw people like me to the kinds of things i am looking for.

Zaran

Adventurer
I think it's great but it doesn't fulfill the need I have for new content. If they did something like approve vetted items from the DMGuild for Adventurer's League that would be cool. I still rather WotC make more content in house instead of getting people to do it for them while they take half the profits.

Zero Cochrane

Explorer
Some products are great quality and some are really bad. I stick with "Pay What You Want" and "Free" because it's hard to know what you are getting. "Full Preview" is a big help, but not all products have this option available. The Star Ratings are helpful, but only if a lot of people have contributed to them.

dracomilan

Explorer
I've used all of my publisher's credits to buy products, and I'm pretty satisfied so far.
The review system is quite broken anyway: people who download for free PWYW products should not be entitled to rate/review a product, while ALL buyers should be gently nudged into reviewing a product - and upgrade a review when a product changes.

Gnarl45

First Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't like keeping track of dozens of small products and the quality is so random that I still haven't bought anything yet. I'm not sure I'll buy anything electronic though. I really like my dead trees.

I also find it frustrating. There are so many fantastic ideas that end up being average because there's no budget for copy editing or original art.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason nobody is publishing printed products yet?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason nobody is publishing printed products yet?

There's quite a few printed products. Three big hardcovers from Necromancer Games, a full hardcover setting from Sasquatch, a series of softcover adventures from Goodman Games, items from Kobold Press, about a dozen Kickstarters... lots of stuff!

Gnarl45

First Post
There's quite a few printed products. Three big hardcovers from Necromancer Games, a full hardcover setting from Sasquatch, a series of softcover adventures from Goodman Games, items from Kobold Press, about a dozen Kickstarters... lots of stuff!

Aren't these OGL products? I was wondering if there wasn't a technical reason why nobody was publishing printed products on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Aren't these OGL products? I was wondering if there wasn't a technical reason why nobody was publishing printed products on it.

On DMsG specifically? It's only a PDF store. I don't believe publishers there have print options. Though I haven't tried, so I could be wrong.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases