Requesting Death House help - SPOILERS AHEAD - DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT DMING

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
The con save is DC20 and it's absurd. There's no fun in having Lost Woods-like mists if they neuter you before you have a chance to discover that you're stuck. I just ignore the mists exhaustion and rely on their deus-ex-machina features.

Absurd? Hardly. Ravenloft is not a nice place for people 'fighting' the system. Strahd tolerates uprisings only so far as he is really directing and controlling them. He gets to use the mist for whatever he damn well wants to.

I had an amusing incident in my game where a player sent their familiar into the mists and heard a thud as the bird dropped like a stone.. Alive but stunned. THey learned quickly.

Ganymede81

First Post
Reading the adventure, it was my impression that the children were locked up while the parents were alive, and starved sometime after the parents were killed by Strahd and his millions.

Davinshe

Explorer
Here's my two cents as a player who played through this adventure twice:
--The hardest part of this adventure seems to be not boring your characters to tears early on. I saw this adventure run once by a mediocre DM and once by a much better one and that was the major difference. Keep things moving, and especially don't let things bog down when the player's need to find a secret entrance down.

Playing Rose and Thorne requires some subtlety. It seems like everyone's first instinct is to play up how creepy the children are, turning Rose into a sort of Wednesday Adams. I think the opposite strategy should be employed. The two children should be at least a little sympathetic, otherwise the whole adventure feels forced. Under the more mediocre DM, the whole group just wandered around listlessly because Rose and Thorne made the adventure feel like an obvious trap and no one really connected with it's premise.

-- Don't undersell the underlying story. When we came to the crib room, we fought a ghost. Under the second DM, we fought the maddened ghost of the former nursemaid. That difference is crucial. Without accentuating the flavor and mood of this adventure, this is actually a dull as dirt adventure.

Steve_MND

First Post
Without accentuating the flavor and mood of this adventure, this is actually a dull as dirt adventure.

True, altho the same can be said for most any mod or adventure. If all you're doing is just going from room to room looking for things to kill, that's pretty dull (even if the combat is plentiful).

That said, Season 4 is Ravenloft, and Ravenloft is gothic horror, and gothic horror, by definition, is largely all about mood and atmosphere and flavor. We've all fought werewolves and vampire and had run-ins with evil hags and creepy insular villages in D&D before; they're part of the shared continuity of fantasy -- it's that Ravenloft 'feel' that is supposed to differentiate this from the run-of-the-mill stuff we've encountered before.

A DM really has to make sure there's lots of flavor in here this season, tho, and if there are players who are only concerned about what die to roll next to stab the monster, they're probably going to have a less enjoyable time with Season 4 mods, I think -- the impression I've gotten is that flavor and theme and feel will be a strong focus this season, as opposed to it being just window dressing on the combats. Time will tell if that's accurate across the span of games, tho.

Poofy

First Post
I have a question I'm dming Death House the first session at our local shop at saturday. If a player wants to touch Rose or Thorn at the start would they sense that they are illusions or? ?

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
The wording I think on the scenario states if they are touched they either disappear instantly or its pretty instantaneous. The trick with running them is making them needing help but not too needy. Its a strange thing to say but its already an odd situation, no point making it too likely they will be distrusted.

At either rate, the mist advances on the group and surrounds them cutting off all exit save for the House. Even if the kids disappear the house remains.

Byakugan

First Post
The wording I think on the scenario states if they are touched they either disappear instantly or its pretty instantaneous. The trick with running them is making them needing help but not too needy. Its a strange thing to say but its already an odd situation, no point making it too likely they will be distrusted.

At either rate, the mist advances on the group and surrounds them cutting off all exit save for the House. Even if the kids disappear the house remains.

The children at the beginning are not illusions. They are flesh and blood, created by the House to lure the PCs in. They are supposed to act genuine in their fear because they don't know they are dead. The ghosts upstairs are their actual spirits and they know they are dead.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Byakugan: Actually they are. Look at page 211 of the Hardcover book specifically where it says the Children Vanish should they be taken in the house or attacked (to me this would also include being touched in that you are physically interacting with them)

As Real things dont simply vanish, they are illusions. They dont know they are illusions true. (and this more or less answers are they illusions?)

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Byakugan: Actually they are. Look at page 211 of the Hardcover book specifically where it says the Children Vanish should they be taken in the house or attacked (to me this would also include being touched in that you are physically interacting with them)

As Real things dont simply vanish, they are illusions. They dont know they are illusions true. (and this more or less answers are they illusions?)

Remove ads