Captain America: Civil War (trailer with 100% more Spider-Man)

MechaPilot

Explorer
Or as he put it in the comics:

It reads well, but it's also kind of crap. It sounds all noble when you think you're right, like Cap obviously does, but that's the same attitude that would have public schools teaching the world is only 6,000 years old, that has people denying others service because of their race, and that you see with state employees who think that supreme court rulings don't apply to them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It sounds all noble when you think you're right, like Cap obviously does, but that's the same attitude that would have public schools teaching the world is only 6,000 years old, that has people denying others service because of their race, and that you see with state employees who think that supreme court rulings don't apply to them.

Yes, but it is also what put Rosa Parks in a particular seat on the bus. So maybe there's something to it.

And that's as far as I am going to take it, with the No Politics rule. I think at this point we have to stop and accept that, traditionally, this is how Cap thinks, for right or wrong.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yes, but it is also what put Rosa Parks in a particular seat on the bus. So maybe there's something to it.

And that's as far as I am going to take it, with the No Politics rule. I think at this point we have to stop and accept that, traditionally, this is how Cap thinks, for right or wrong.

Well sure. I didn't mean to imply that standing up for what one believes in is inherently wrong (nor was I attempting to be political: I was actually trying to skirt that as much as possible while still providing somewhat viable examples). It's just also not inherently noble either.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I'd say that Black Widow has a deep understanding of the organization around her and works very hard to avoid conflicts (and to maneuver within the organization without apparently breaking any rules). And, that she is more fundamentally motivated by her personal relationships than any chain of command. And, she is motivated by personal obligations (red in her book). She fantastically loyal to Fury. She has great loyalty to Cap and Hawkeye.

A key conflict in Winter Soldier is the conflict between personal loyalty (to Fury) vs obeying authorities (Alexander Pierce).

Plotwise, this works because the organization (Shield) is presumed to be working from noble principles, and has authority only in so far as it follows those principles. When Pierce acted in contravention, he negated his authority.

Thx!

TomB

Iosue

Legend
The interesting thing about Winter Soldier is that when Black Widow first teams up with Cap, SHIELD is not after her. She has no reason to suspect that SHIELD itself is up to no good. We can assume that Cap tells her about Fury saying SHIELD was compromised, about being jumped by SHIELD goons in the elevator, and the Quinjet. But you could say that at that point she's being flexible -- she knows Cap, enough to follow him on this chase out to New Jersey, but by doing so she's also keeping tabs on him. If it turns out that Cap really is bad, she can call in reinforcements. Her first inkling that things are not what they seem is when SHIELD fires the missile at the bunker. It's at that point that she goes in all the way with Cap, against SHIELD/HYDRA.

As for Spider-Man, Tom Holland is 19. They could have him playing 15 years old, but they could have him playing 18 just as easily. FWIW, both the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield Spider-Men started their movies as age 18, in their senior year of high school.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases