Question on the Vamp/Lycanthropy Ruling

Jabborwacky

First Post
So I'm reading through the DM handout for Curse of Strahd and came across their Vampirism and Lycanthropy ruling.

Vampirism and Lycanthropy
Vampires and lycanthropes are not included in the allowed rules for character creation or advancement(see the D&D Adventurers League Player’s Guide).These conditions grant characters powers and abilities that are not suitable for organized play, and typically impose a restricted or prohibited alignment. As such, characters afflicted with vampirism or lycanthropy must have the affliction cured before the start of their next episode or adventure.
An afflicted characters have the following options:

Lycanthropes can be cured with a remove curse spell. This spell is available as a spellcasting service for 90gp (though Jeny Greenteeth might have additional requirements; see “Spellcasting Services” later in this guide).
Vampires can be cured by a wish spell cast by a fellow player character (wish is not available as a spell-casting service). Alternatively, a vampire character can be slain and returned to life with raise dead, at
the normal cost of 1,250 gp. If a character chooses to end a vampiric curse in this manner, the Dark Powers
do not offer a free raise dead, though Jeny Greenteeth might be willing to make a deal (see “Spellcasting Services” later in this guide).
An afflicted character who does not end his or her curse is retired from play until able to do so by one of the means above, or through the application of DM rewards to the character.

I'm new to DMing adventure league, but the vampirism cure feels like its going to come at the cost of roleplaying without a very different coat of paint. Perhaps I can say a "remove curse" spell is needed, but with all the associated costs of the raise dead spell? It's a cosmetic change, but it feels a bit more sensical than the DM saying "well, your options are to commit suicide or get a wish spell cast on you before next game. What was that? Your character wouldn't kill himself? I guess you're out of my game then."

Is it alright for me to make a cosmetic change like that? If not, is there anything else I could do to fix the ruling?

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
The point is - vampires are undead. You can't cure this condition without a wish spell (which completely reverses the situation that caused you to become undead in the first place), or being destroyed so that your body can be revived normally. There is nothing wrong with this ruling as the "cure" for both conditions were taken directly from the Lycanthrope and Vampire sidebars from the MM.

I strongly recommend not resorting to cosmetic changes in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of having to destroy your fellow PC. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, the solution is as simple as saying that an EVIL undead force has taken over your allies body, and has full access to the PCs memories/thoughts. The evil spirit however is not the PC (it just inhabits its corpse, and provides the corpse the powers of a vampire). Meanwhile, the PCs soul is being prevented from returning to the body due to the evil animating force.

This is already established in the lore for some kinds of undead for several editions now (esp. those that create spawn). As vampires also create spawn, there is nothing wrong with adapting this lore to vampires as well.

That way, it is less of an issue of committing suicide and/or murdering your friend, and more an issue of destroying an evil spirit which has taken up residence in your allies body, and is holding their soul hostage (which also helps explain why true resurrection also fails while the undead PC is still animate).

Last edited:

Jabborwacky

First Post
The point is - vampires are undead. You can't cure this condition without a wish spell (which completely reverses the situation that caused you to become undead in the first place), or being destroyed so that your body can be revived normally. There is nothing wrong with this ruling as the "cure" for both conditions were taken directly from the Lycanthrope and Vampire sidebars from the MM.

I strongly recommend not resorting to cosmetic changes in order to avoid the uncomfortable situation of having to destroy your fellow PC. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, the solution is as simple as saying that an EVIL undead force has taken over your allies body, and has full access to the PCs memories/thoughts. The evil spirit however is not the PC (it just inhabits its corpse, and provides the corpse the powers of a vampire). Meanwhile, the PCs soul is being prevented from returning to the body due to the evil animating force.

This is already established in the lore for some kinds of undead for several editions now (esp. those that create spawn). As vampires also create spawn, there is nothing wrong with adapting this lore to vampires as well.

That way, it is less of an issue of committing suicide and/or murdering your friend, and more an issue of destroying an evil spirit which has taken up residence in your allies body, and is holding their soul hostage (which also helps explain why true resurrection also fails while the undead PC is still animate).

I was getting confused with a different condition from another game that slowly turns the player into a vampire. So when a player has contracted vampirism in this game, he is already a full vampire? Everything is good then. I was afraid they were removing the fun part about losing control of their characters as a result of those conditions. Thanks for letting me know!

I'm curious about the caveat in the guide that a DM reward of some sort might make your afflicted character eligible to be played. Is there a proposed DM reward in the works that would allow you to play a lycanthrope or vampire PC? Or a DM reward to to cure those afflictions?

kalani

First Post
There is no reward planned that would allow someone to play an afflicted character. The reference to DM rewards is the fact that DM rewards usually also provide GP. If a player is unable to afford the cost of raise dead for example, they would need to apply DM rewards to the character until they gain enough GP in order to afford the cost of the spell.

RCanine

First Post
Real answer: don't vamp people if you don't want to deal with them getting upset about being vamped. You're the DM, you can control it.

slightlyprime

First Post
you can also just let them be lycanthrope or vampire and deal with one member of the party being more powerful, if this is a home game that is. Paladin in game im running is a werebear right now, but lots of enemies have silvered weapons since they are collecting treasure. Going to be fun when a full moon eventually comes around.

Didn't notice adventure league, ignore me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases