Using Gundams as Wargame minis

the_cowley

Explorer
So I love this little kits, have quite a few of them now days. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good wargame or rpg for mecha combat. I want to try and use the 1/144th scale models of Gundams as models

ccs

41st lv DM
Take a look at Battle-Tech.
You'll need to:
1) use the design rules & custom build the stats for your models.
2) figure out a conversion scale. BT is based on 1 hex (about an inch across) = 30 meters. All movement & weapons ranges are expressed in hexes. The normal scale of BT figures are about 1-1.5 inches tall & fit the hexes. Most Gundam models I've seen are bigger to much bigger, to ALOT bigger than that.
Upscaling is easy though - just increase a hex by an inch until you come to whatever size fits your models well.
After that you'll need to rewrite the ranges etc to inches based on your new hex size.

The practical effect of Upscaling the hex size is that it shrinks the battlefield. Unless your physical table/play area can also expand....

the_cowley

Explorer
Take a look at Battle-Tech.
You'll need to:
1) use the design rules & custom build the stats for your models.
2) figure out a conversion scale. BT is based on 1 hex (about an inch across) = 30 meters. All movement & weapons ranges are expressed in hexes. The normal scale of BT figures are about 1-1.5 inches tall & fit the hexes. Most Gundam models I've seen are bigger to much bigger, to ALOT bigger than that.
Upscaling is easy though - just increase a hex by an inch until you come to whatever size fits your models well.
After that you'll need to rewrite the ranges etc to inches based on your new hex size.

The practical effect of Upscaling the hex size is that it shrinks the battlefield. Unless your physical table/play area can also expand....

Yeah thats the biggest problem I am gonna run into. My ideal is to use the smallest gundam models, The biggest spark for me is that they now have bases you can buy with your model, which makes them super awesome to pose like they are flying/leaping ect. Im not sure I will be able to just because of the size of battlemat.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
There is actually (atleast) one official wargame rules sets for Gundam, only problem, it's in Japanese... No translations.

I also suspect that the 1/144 models are a bit big for most games, I bought a couple of lots of 1/400 Gasphon Gundams and those are perfect in size for some BT gaming...

Remove ads