D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

Yavathol

Explorer

"Well met", said Wergil, as he confidently approached the mismatched pair.

"I am Junker Wergil of house von Stahlmannlichkeit, & I hope that you are natives here, for due to somewhat mysterious circumstances last night I find myself a stranger in these parts. "

Pausing to glance back, he looks at the fog somewhat suspiciously, "Who may you be, and can you direct me to a nearby settlement?"

He looks with some distaste, tinged with curiosity, at the dirty and dishevelled human before cocking an eyebrow at the halfling.

[sblock=status]Wergil hp 15/15
Str +0(+2 Saves) Dex +3, Con +3(+5 Saves), Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +0
Athletics +2, History +1, Perception +2, Persuasion +2, Survival +2
AC 18
Inspiration yes
Rages 2/2
HD: 1/1[/sblock]

Last edited:

Wrex

First Post
Rufus

The woman quickly walked into the building. "Where you going?". He quickly went after her. Had he been tricked? Was she in league with the man in the cell? Was that smoke?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

His brow furrows and eyes narrow to dark pits in the dim, fog-shrouded day. He studies the new-comer before spitting off to the side of the road and sliding one of his paired handaxes into its harness. The other is still held in hand, ready to use if necessary, as he turns to the halfling.

"He knows no more about this place than we do." The man, the soldier, stares into the swirling fog past Junker Wergil and rubs the back of his neck with his free hand as if trying to rub away a sudden chill. Eyes flick to the nobleman's. "Kasimir," he says in blunt introduction. Kasimir points down the trail with his axe, away from the encroaching fog. "I'm sure you'll find some sort of village or hiding place on down the trail. Eventually."

He turns to look at the fog with undisguised eagerness.

[sblock=Kasimir’s Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

[section]Girri blanched as the door burst into flame and the room began to fill with smoke. She backpedaled a step or two, running into Rufus, then screeched in fright. "Schiesse! You always creep up on people like that?!" The corner of her mouth lilted in barely suppressed humor. Thumbing her hand toward the burning door, she frowned. "That white-robed fellow you were talking to might be in there, and there's no jailor in sight." She paused, the air pregnant with silence as she cast a look of uncertainty at the armored man. "We should at least get him out. Before he burns to death. This day's seen enough death as it is. The question is, how? Unless you want to hack down the door with that polearm of yours?" [/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

Wrex

First Post
"Amra'a! Be clear from the portal!"

"Not again..." growled Rufus, remembering the last time this fool tried magic. He took a few steps back. "You may want to get behind me"

Yavathol

Explorer

"Indeed, for there is nothing from whence I came but an abandoned shed."

Wergil sees the expression on Kasimirs face and squints, "Why so eager to see dog? It appears you are, like me, magically transported! I know nothing of magic, but would still venture to guess that entering the fog would not return you home!"

Wergil keeps a reasonable distance from the strangers while his face contorts with thought, "Is it possible that there is some explanation which connects us, or was each of us simply in the wrong place at the wrong time? What say you", he addresses the halfling, "do you know aught of the Weave? What is your name and station?"

AC 18
Inspiration yes
Rages 2/2

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
As Wergil, Kaismir, and Mr. Aldershot ponder their respective predicaments, a scream echos from somewhere in the distance and cuts through the mist in all directions. The unasked question looms: Is something running from the mist, or is the mist running from something?

Brother Rufus and Girri step back away from the door just as the thing blows from the hinges. A fountain of flame bursts through the portal and extinguishes itself just as quickly, but the smoke within the cell still lingers and dances with the encroaching mist.

Yavathol

Explorer

"Where do you think that came from?"
OOC:
[roll0]

AC 18
Inspiration yes
Rages 2/2