Pathfinder 1E Phalanx fighter question

Hey gang. I'm using Hero lab and I've got a question about the archetype, phalanx fighter.

I guess I'm missing something but what's the point in being able to use a 2 handed weapon
one handed, if you don't get the benefits of the two handed weapon?

Hero Lab reduces the damage to a 1 handed weapon. Is this correct, or is it a Hero Lab
issue?

I'm using a bardiche and heavy wooden shield.

Thanks!

N'raac

First Post
I assume we are discussing a Phalanx Soldier. His special ability allows use of a 2 spear or pole arm as a 1 handed weapon. Per the rules:

One-Handed: A one-handed weapon can be used in either the primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder's Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it's used in the primary hand, or 1/2 his Strength bonus if it's used in the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character's Strength bonus to damage rolls.

So you get the normal STR add, not a 50% premium, using the weapon one handed. The advantage? 2 handed weapons tend to have higher base damage and/or other special abilities.

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Apologies, I did mean phalanx soldier, not fighter.

The confusion on my part comes partly from the FAQ. There are two entries, one
says that with a lance (for example), you get power attacks full bonus and in another
entry, it says that any feat or special ability that grants 1 handed use with 2 handed
weapons, treat it like a 1 handed weapon.

Also, the text for power attack is a bit ambiguous:

"if you are making an attack with a two-handed weapon"

It doesn't actually say while while using 2 hands or 1, but that does feel like
splitting hairs. :)

So I'm assuming that Hero Lab is doing it correctly then.

Thanks again folks.

N'raac

First Post
The lance, I think, is a special case. It is a two handed weapon which "can be wielded with one hand", not "which can be used as a one-handed weapon when mounted". The rule changed is that the two handed weapon does not require two hands to wield effectively.

The general rule that "use with one hand converts the weapon to a one-handed weapon" is specifically overridden for a lance used while mounted. I read Power Attack to simply apply as a STR bonus dependent on the type of attack. The Combat section is also better defined, in that it indicates you get 1.5x STR bonus when you wield a weapon two handed, without discussing the type of weapon.

Strength Bonus

When you hit with a melee or thrown weapon, including a sling, add your Strength modifier to the damage result. A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies on damage rolls made with a bow that is not a composite bow.

Off-Hand Weapon

When you deal damage with a weapon in your off hand, you add only 1/2 your Strength bonus. If you have a Strength penalty, the entire penalty applies.

Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed

When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus (Strength penalties are not multiplied). You don't get this higher Strength bonus, however, when using a light weapons with two hands.

That seems to express the concept much more clearly (with the lance remaining a special case).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases