Pathfinder News From GAMA

News from the GAMA trade show, as reported by the (excellent) Know Direction podcast: Return to a classic Adventure Path with Curse of the Crimson Throne, one of Paizo’s most popular campaigns! The city of Korvosa is in chaos, and her new queen may well be the source–can a ragtag group of heroes stand before the might of one of Golarion’s most nefarious villains? This immense book has everything you need to run an entire full-length campaign covering months and months of play!

News from the GAMA trade show, as reported by the (excellent) Know Direction podcast: Return to a classic Adventure Path with Curse of the Crimson Throne, one of Paizo’s most popular campaigns! The city of Korvosa is in chaos, and her new queen may well be the source–can a ragtag group of heroes stand before the might of one of Golarion’s most nefarious villains? This immense book has everything you need to run an entire full-length campaign covering months and months of play!

• Updates the classic Adventure Path to the Pathfinder RPG rules for the first time.
  • Explore expanded adventures, including a brand new mission written by Paizo’s Creative Director, James Jacobs, that sends the heroes into a perilous dungeon run by the queen’s infamous Gray Maidens!
  • Features dozens of evocative illustrations of classic characters.
  • Updated rules for monsters, magic items, and character options, some old, some new.
  • Retail Price: $49.99

The two best-selling Pathfinder RPG hardcovers of all time come to paperback at least in brand-new “Pocket Editions” set for a Fall 2016 release!

• Affordable price significantly lowers Pathfinder’s cost barrier to entry.
  • Perfect for use with Pathfinder Society Organized Play.
  • Exactly the same content as the hardcover editions, at a new low price!
  • Core Rulebook Retail Price: $24.99
  • Bestiary Retail Price: $19.99

Credit for the pictures goes to the Uncle’s Games Twitter page.

This may be a silly question, but can we expect Paizo to start updating their APs to 5th edition? It seems like an easy way for them to generate revenue with relatively little effort expended.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This may be a silly question, but can we expect Paizo to start updating their APs to 5th edition? It seems like an easy way for them to generate revenue with relatively little effort expended.

I wouldn't expect them to. Not that I have any particular insight, but they've spent a decade carefully building their Pathfinder brand now. I don't think a quick cash-grab is something they particularly need.

LostandDamned

First Post
Why not do the second AP as an update compiled edition?

It's almost certain that most of it's 6 books are long out of stock, and for latecomers (like myself) and new players, this is a good way to get hold of them.

You’re projecting – a lot.
It does seem to be going around.
I only hit ENWorld about 1/week now, but holy cow, is it impossible for the 5e crowd to just enjoy 5e without needing PF to fail to do so?
I'm not monoGamist and am quite happily to play multiple systems. Some Star Wars going on now after the excitement for Force Awakens and I might dabble in WOIN for a Trek game later. And I'm looking forward to adding Horror Adventures to my collection:
View attachment 75530View attachment 75531
I don't need Pathfinder to fail. I'm worried that Pathfinder might fail.

CotCT regularly polls near the top of the list of favorite APs when the question comes up on Paizo forums. It is far from “adequately received”.
Because it's been around so long there's quite a few people who have played it and enjoyed it. It's a decent enough story. But it doesn't top the "what AP do I play next?" polls often and doesn't get people excited (but, admittedly, maybe a collected edition will help with that).
It's pretty straightforward and classic. But Paizo already released a generic evergreen adventure (RotRL) so going for something different might have had appeal.
Plus, it already sounds like CotCT works. Couldn't they have done something different and "fixed" an AP, like Second Darkness that is dragged down by its penultimate part? Or had Kingmaker with a simpler kingdom management system for people who wanted the Sandbox but didn't want the rules, with the option to port in Ultimate Campaign as needed?

How are lower cost versions of the CRB & Bestiary a bad thing? Whether as table copies or entry-level books, they’ll be good options. Pinnacle Entertainment Group has done a similar move with Savage Worlds to good popularity & success for a long time. I run campaigns for each of my sons and their friends – that’s 16 kids that I’ve introduced to Pathfinder. These books will be perfect for them.
It's not bad, but it's curious.
Pathfinder has a pretty low cost already with PDFs and the PRD. And because the CRB has not been hit by inflation it's pretty cheap for what you get.
I don't have a lot of love for RPG softcovers after my time with Palladium, as they tend to get destroyed pretty quickly if you're not super, super careful. You don't so much rent them as lease them.

delericho

Legend
Plus, it already sounds like CotCT works. Couldn't they have done something different and "fixed" an AP, like Second Darkness that is dragged down by its penultimate part?

Assuming we don't see PF 2.0 before then, I'd expect a "Second Darkness" hardcover announced either next year or the year after. Though I'll be surprised if it's significantly 'fixed'.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
These sound like "Safe Choices" to me.

I'm not sure how 5E is impacting Pathfinder/Paizo, but these sound like not only "Safe" choices, but also good "Entry level" points for people, esp with the lower priced rulebooks. And I'm totally onboard for "Horror Adventures' when it comes out as well.

And I'm all in favor of compiled versions of their Adventure Paths at a reasonable price., esp. if they get tweaked/edited for the better in the process!

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Curse of the Crimson Throne is an odd choice. It was the second Pathfinder AP (for 3.5e) but it was only adequately received. It took a long time for many of the volumes to sell out and many are still available (despite being sold at half price on Paizo.com). It certainly was not as popular as Skull & Shackles or Kingmaker.
It feels like the safe choice. The second oldest so they don't have to worry about newer ones not selling as people anticipate a collection, and they can justify reselling it because the rules can be updated.

Jester, in every "rate the APs" thread I've ever seen (anywhere), Curse of the Crimson Throne is always #1 or #2, with only Kingmaker giving it a run for its money. If I had to wager a guess its about 60/40 split between those two respectfully for the top spot. Skull and Shackles is actually a decent bit more divisive, at about the #4-#5 range (some complaints I've seen people mention are the pressgang opener and the general unheroic leanings of the campaign). Given Curse is an extremely popular AP that is over half sold out that can also be updated and converted, I'd actually call it a "no-brainer".

marroon69

Explorer
"Age of Worms" hardcover????? *fingers crossed :) They did a great job with RotRL hardcover so I will be waiting for this one. The reprint of the core books is good but not for me.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Assuming we don't see PF 2.0 before then, I'd expect a "Second Darkness" hardcover announced either next year or the year after. Though I'll be surprised if it's significantly 'fixed'.
James Jacobs has specifically mentioned that as something he'd like to eventually do, take Second Darkness and essentially redo/fix it.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
"Age of Worms" hardcover????? *fingers crossed :) They did a great job with RotRL hardcover so I will be waiting for this one. The reprint of the core books is good but not for me.
Sadly, unless they worked out a special deal with Wizards, that is very unlikely to ever happen.

Remove ads

Remove ads