Sci-fi fiction which deals with longevity?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I need to research the general topic of scientifically achieved longevity (or immortality) for some background material for the game I'm writing, so I figured I'd read some recent fiction about the subject, which deals with the issue on a personal level but primarily on a mass-sociological level - how does society and behaviour change, that sort of thing. How life-extension affects humanity as a whole.

Any recommendations? I'd like it to be as recent as possible, as - while I realise it's all sci-fi or speculative at best - I don't want my setting to be too outdated compared to current thinking on the subject. I'm going for as much plausibility as possible here. Plus no magic or vampires. :)

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
The first movie that came to mind involves extension of life, rather than actual immortality, at the cost of the lives of clones: "The Island."

Then there's "Immortal", if you like your SciFi with gods and genetically modified humans."

And finally there's the good, old fashioned immortals in the "Highlander" series of movies and TV shows.

*EDIT* I figure that you would have already thought of Doctor Who for The Doctor, Captain Jack, Me, Lady Cassandra....., but maybe worth mentioning anyway. "Jupiter Ascending" where planets are harvested to keep the ruling elite alive. Robert Adams "Horseclans" books, with Milo Morai and the Undying acting as the leaders of a post apocalyptic society (they're a rare breed of mutant who can only die if their brains are deprived of oxygen, as in drowning, and who cannot procreate).

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
Robert Heinlein Time Enough For Love

also,
C.J. Cheryh Cyteen

Both great reads

EDIT: I realised you said 'Recent', though I think both those are worthy of their salt, and still stand up to todays pulp.

I think William Gibson wrote something on the topic, but that's a decade old now...

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Robert Heinlein Time Enough For Love

also,
C.J. Cheryh Cyteen

Both great reads

EDIT: I realised you said 'Recent', though I think both those are worthy of their salt, and still stand up to todays pulp.

I think William Gibson wrote something on the topic, but that's a decade old now...

I can't think of one by Gibson, but Bruce Sterling wrote "Holy Fire" a couple of decades back.

*EDITED TO ADD*

"Altered Carbon" by Richard K Morgan

"Transcendence" in which immortality is obtained by being dumped into a computer.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Charles Stross' Accelerando. It deals in part with the impact of the Singularity on our mortality. Humans can download their cosnciousness in computers, have a clone made of themselves and download that consciousness in the clone. Live many lifes as downloads. Explore space thanks to being immortal computers, etc.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312. It deals in part with humanity being able to live a couple of centuries, how that affect our couples and family ties, how we pass the time, how it affects our memories, how it makes travelling between planets possible since we've got all this time before us.

Mira Grant's Parasite. GMO tapeworm take care of our health. It is an interesting idea.

Richards

Legend
Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer comes to mind. It deals with both first contact and the ability to regain a given body's younger form.

Johnathan

I need to research the general topic of scientifically achieved longevity (or immortality) for some background material for the game I'm writing, so I figured I'd read some recent fiction about the subject, which deals with the issue on a personal level but primarily on a mass-sociological level - how does society and behaviour change, that sort of thing. How life-extension affects humanity as a whole.

Any recommendations? I'd like it to be as recent as possible, as - while I realise it's all sci-fi or speculative at best - I don't want my setting to be too outdated compared to current thinking on the subject. I'm going for as much plausibility as possible here. Plus no magic or vampires. :)

The Peripheral by William Gibson. Came out in October 2014. Here is an interview I did with him where we discuss the book.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...ses_technology_and_predicting_the_future.html

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases