DM Rewards & DM Quests (Clarifications)

kalani

First Post
I would just like to clarify some common misunderstandings about DM Rewards and DM Quest Rewards.

DM Rewards (AL_DMG p9)
  • The XP table listed on p9 of the AL_DMG only applies to hardcover adventures run this season (LMoP, HotDQ, RoT, PotA, OotA, CoS), DDAL4-X modules, and the Death House Launch Event.
  • These rewards are not retroactively adjusted for hardcover sessions ran prior to March 4th
  • These rewards do not apply to DDEX1-X, DDEX2-X, or DDEX3-X adventures.
  • When running Death House, DM rewards are determined the same way as for a hardcover adventure (for every 2hrs, you gain DM rewards based on the APL of the party).

DM Rewards (DDEX Adventures)

• ​When running DDEX adventures this season (DDEX1-X, DDEX2-X, or DDEX3-X), DMs earn the rewards listed in the "DM Reward" section of the adventure.
  • If a FAQ lists a different reward for a particular adventure, use the reward in the FAQ instead (this only occurs if the printed reward was in error).

DM Quests
  • When a DM runs any adventure this season (including older hardcovers and DDEX modules), they earn progress toward any applicable DM Quest.
  • Older adventures only earn progress toward the following quests (as these are the only quests applicable to older adventures):
    • First Timer
    • Traveller
    • Dedicated DM
    • Deja Vu
    • Ethereal DM

Dedicated DM and older adventures
  • When running older adventures, only chapters/episodes/adventures run this season (March 4th onwards) count toward this quest

For example: If you ran 3 chapters of Out of the Abyss during season 3, those chapters would not count toward this quest. If however, you completed chapters 4 and 5 during this season, those two chapters would count toward the quest reward.

Deja Vu and older adventures
  • You must run the adventure 5 (or more) times this season in order to gain this reward.

For Example: If you ran DDEX3-2 three or four times last season, you would still need to run it an additional 5x during the current season to get the reward.

Ethereal DM and older adventures
  • This reward would only apply to an older adventure that was offered as a "Quest of the Week" during this season.
  • Quests of the Week are listed on https://www.alonlinetools.net/

Ethereal DM & Quest of the Week
  • It has been clarified by David Russell (RC for the Online Region) that DMs must schedule the adventure on https://www.alonlinetools.net/ in order for it to count as a "Quest of the Week".
  • Online games that are not scheduled through ALonlinetools do not qualify for the "Ethereal DM" quest.

Ritual of Divination
  • You need to join the DMs League Facebook and Google+ Groups. These groups are newly created groups that are separate from the D&D Adventurers League (links below).
  • If you are already following D&DAL on Twitter, there is no need to unfollow and refollow the group (that would be silly).
DMs Guild (Facebook)
DMs Guild (Google+)

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
Update: Some additional clarification was given regarding "Quest of the Week" today. I have added this information to the OP.

jrothwell

First Post
What are the location parameters for earning the rewards if there is not a location listed. One of my GMs is also running CoS for a home "not sanctioned" AL game and wants to know if he can earn DM quest rewards there as well?

kalani

First Post
I am not sure what you mean by a non-sanctioned AL game. You mean one that isn't sponsored by a store and/or reported in WER?

DMs can earn the DM rewards for most quests anywhere. All that is required is that the game is run strictly as an AL-game (using AL-characters). DMs running private (home or online) AL games can most definitely earn DM Quest rewards for the adventures they run.

The only awards they couldn't earn however, are those that require the DM to run the Epic (DDEP4), or those that require play at a store (For example - the First Timer reward would be granted for running your first home session this season, but you would need to play in other locations such as stores, conventions, game days, online, in a hot-air balloon, etc in order to gain the reward additional times).

MichaelSandar

First Post
When a DM earns XP, he can apply that to any legal character? For instance, I start running a new campaign - DDEX1-1. The party completes all five chapters, and I earn 500 xp. Can I apply that to a brand new character, who now is second level?

Remove ads