Have we failed to discourage min-maxing?

Faenor

Explorer
Video game logic is based on our best fantasy literature and movies. Luke needed to level up fighting at Jaba's after he trained with Yoda. The Hobbits sparred with Boromir, but then leveled up in Moria.

nswanson27

First Post
Okay, I'm going to argue that it's not rampant. Is it there? Sure. Rampant, probably not.

A few points that seem on topic:

1) The game design promotes combat effectiveness. Pretty much every ability is designed in terms of combat power, except for, as described in Unearthed Arcana articles (and maybe the DMG), the things known as 'ribbons'. Ribbons are called out as being ignored when it comes to balancing class power.

2) Combat is actually predictable. Roleplaying is not. This is of major importance when writing an adventure you want to have a set length (such as a 4 hour convention slot).

3) Fuzzy logic goals are just that - fuzzy. Combat goals are simple. That means that RP XP is much more difficult to award consistently, even if you assign goals for it, particularly the more complex you make it. Combat XP just scales with difficulty.

4) Is min-maxxed combat necessarily a bad thing? If combats are shorter, doesn't that allow for more RPing time, in theory?
4b)How well does that theory hold up? Does shorter combat equal more RP time or longer lunch break?

5) Why is everyone playing the game? Not everyone plays to tell in-depth, personalized stories. Some people are, in fact, playing because being a murder-hobo IRL results in Suicide by Cop.

Plus, things like plot armor and rotating DMs and players isn't ideal for RP as the main goal. A system like AL doesn't seem like the best fit for that.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Well, my primary AL character is a Monk with Passive Perception(max). I'd like it to work like radar so as to save time rolling dice to find stuff (like important plot clues).

I could likewise make a Bard with Persuasion(max). Why fight some dude I just met in a bar, when I can offer to buy him a drink and set my golden tongue into motion?

Both concepts work well with a steady group that knows what I'm going to do when I encounter a given situation.
But in AL, every DM I meet is a new one (for me) and they don't know what I'll do nor what my character is capable of.

I helped my group short-cut some exploration in Season One because of my Stealth and a borrowed Elven Cloak of Sneaking. This gave us more time for the main fight.

I built a 4e Skill Challenge around the concept 'find ingredients for a magic potion' that sort of spiraled out of control and used every skill on the list once. This might be adapted into an adventure module, but it almost would have to have on the back cover in large font "Not A Combat Module; Skill Checks Required".

Remove ads