[TRAILseeker #54] Magical Laws

New for TRAILseeker patrons. Jonathan Palmer takes a look at the ways a fantasy society would regulate and legislate the use of magic. From registration to mandatory service to guild enforcement, these ideas can help add verisimilitude to your game and create new plot ideas. Illustrated by Indi Martin. Become a patron now and get immediate access to all 50+ Pathfinder articles!

New for TRAILseeker patrons. Jonathan Palmer takes a look at the ways a fantasy society would regulate and legislate the use of magic. From registration to mandatory service to guild enforcement, these ideas can help add verisimilitude to your game and create new plot ideas. Illustrated by Indi Martin. Become a patron now and get immediate access to all 50+ Pathfinder articles!

laws.jpg

barasawa

Explorer
A subject I've thought about a lot in the past.
Mind if I babble for a bit on it? I'll try to keep it real short.

First, I don't assume their culture thinks it's weird and specifically dangerous, unless it's new to the them. Otherwise it's just a normal part of life as it's probably been around at least a millennium.
Second, it can be a powerful tool to violate others or their property. As such, it might be outlawed. You know, like swords were in Japan, and even peons owning land in parts of Europe.
Third, it's a valuable resource and it might be encouraged or mandated. Kind of like the English Longbowman who was required to learn and practice it, and was even paid a stipend for that.

Of course, magic makes fantasies, and anything is possible in those. Choose what feels right for your campaign, or better yet, mix and match as appropriate. Commonly people do this kind of stuff based on regions, but it's also easy to mix it up with cultures, religions, races, or random dice rolls of the gods on a 26 month rotating basis. Whatever you like. ;) & :p

Remove ads

Remove ads