Pathfinder 1E Holding onto rope during storm

Ramm83

First Post
So here is the scenario:

Party walks through mountains and there is a storm. To the right of them is straight down for 40 feet. Left of them is gradual steep slope upwards. Now.. Lightning hits the mountain and an avalanche begins. The dwarf uses his grappling hooked rope to drop a few feet and hangs on.
Now what skill would be used for this? Hanging on to a rope during a storm which rages around you ( mountains are slippery )

I ruled a DC 12 climb check and afterwards a DC 15 Str check to hold on because of the storm. Somehow this ruling doesn't feel right in my opinion.

It really depends on what level of difficulty you would like it to be...if you take into consideration, class skill(+3) and level of ranks...assuming the players put max rank into those skills...a level 5 character with no outside bonuses would have +8 to their roll factor in their ability score, min...+0 to +2, max +5, most players would be able to roll that number easily. That said a higher value, such as DC 20-25 would be more difficult for them to do.

Ramm83

First Post
It is not about the numbers i am asking, it is how would u rule this? Would u also have a climb check + strenght check or just a one-off climb check? Maybe Climb + acrobatics?? What roll is needed to hold onto a rope during a storm?

Koloth

First Post
1st choice, Profession Mountain Climbing/Mountaineering. One skill roll covers everything. Lower DC then 2nd choice. Reward players for taking the skill.
2nd choice, Acrobatics to successfully get to the rope followed by Climb to hang on during the avalanche and a 2nd Climb to recover afterwards. Lower DC then 3rd choice.
3rd choice, default Dex and Str rolls.

ChronicaAoE

First Post
Climb is good, but I would rule that a survival check would allow him to safely avoid an avalanche using tricks that a mountaineer would know.

Remove ads