D&D 5E Questons on publishing on DM's Guild

GreyLord

Legend
I'm trying to find out what we can publish according to the SRD. As per the SRD-OGL document, it basically just lists the OGL license.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

In that link however, it states if we want to write stuff for Forgotten Realms, we may. In the SRD it lists it as Product Identity, which makes sense, but it also expressely states we cannot use the terms Forgotten Realms or such in items...thus contradicting the web page.

I'm wanting to use the terms, Forgotten Realms, 5e in the actual document, with sparsely historical references to 1e and 2e and D&D.

It seems from the Webpage if I did it on DM's Guild I'd be allowed to, but the document itself seems to contradict this?

I seriously cannot figure out the answers to these questions, as they seem to contradict themselves in what they link, their document, and their official statements!

One other question (as I said, their statements seem to contradict their SRD-OGL document), if as per their conversation (stickied at the top of this forum) takes precedence, does that mean we can use material or at least reference it from the SCAG?

Anyone have any answers or links that can clarify?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The DMs Guild and the OGL/SRD are entirely separate routes. The DMs Guild has its own set of terms, not related to the SRD. They contradict each other because they have nothing to do with each other - you need to pick one or the other.

If you are publishing on DMsG you can pretty much use anything you like, but you can't set it anywhere except Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft (or setting-neutral).

Remove ads