Help me make a better chili

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not much of a cook. I make chili about once a week, but it's pretty basic. Here's what I do:

A load of beef chunks
Two tins of chopped tomatoes
Two peppers, chopped
One onion, chopped
A load of mushrooms
Red kidney beans
Crushed chilis

Served on rice, grated cheese sprinkled on top, dollop of sour cream.

It works out pretty well. But I'd like to improve it. Occasionally I swap the tomatoes for a premade sauce in a jar, but I prefer not to. What are your chili tips?

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Cumin for flavor (very important).

And butter for richness (not important, but you won't regret it!)

Oh, and possibly some sugar (and salt) to cut the acidity of the tomato.

Actually, I think I might have done a chili recipe when I was doing the Game Night Kitchen. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Rune

Once A Fool
Actually, I think I might have done a chili recipe when I was doing the Game Night Kitchen. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Here it is. Or, rather, here's one of them. I also did a white chicken chili.

The rice is interesting, by the way. 'Round these parts, it would be cornbread. Although Fritos-style corn chips work, too.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of the things I do with an all-beef chili is add ground meat to the mix. Really helps with the texture.

I like garlic in my chili.

I also use a mix of peppers. Ground black and cayenne pepper, some smoked/dried pepper, and some fresh peppers all go in, none in great amounts. Each brings different flavors & heat to the party. The finer you dice them, the more the flavors disperse & diffuse.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I tend to prefer lean ground beef to beef chunks. I pre-cook it with dried chillies, a little black pepper and (like Rune said) cumin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another trick with texture:

When I make creole red beans, I rinse them first, then soak them 8-24 hours. Then, when I cook them- slowly over low heat- I use a spoon to crush some against the side of the pot. This makes the overall dish nice, thick and creamy.

The same approach with the beans in your chili will nicely thicken your final product.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not much of a cook.

I wasn't either when I started making chili, but it turns out to be a good dish to start with. I don't know British markets, and some of the ingredients we have readily available might be harder for you to find.

What are your chili tips?

For a beginning chili maker, I'd suggest finding a decent chili powder. Chili powder is not just dried and ground chili peppers, it is a spice mixture with typically some form(s) of chili pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, and other ingredients. They come in a variety from mild to super-spicy-hot.

I'd also suggest you find a base recipe you like, make it a couple of times, and then start to vary it to see what you get. A typical recipe might look like this (the all-caps are because this comes from the website of a spice company):

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/recipes/good-basic-chili/

Ingredients

2 lbs. ground beef
3 TB. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp. GARLIC GRANULES
1/2 tsp. fresh ground BLACK PEPPER
1 tsp. GROUND CUMIN
1/2 tsp. ground CHIPOTLE PEPPER
1/2-1 1/2 tsp. CRUSHED RED PEPPERS
3 TB. CHILI POWDER
3 Cups water
1 26 oz. can tomato puree
2 16 oz. cans no salt added chopped tomatoes
2 16 oz. cans kidney beans, drained
1-2 tsp. salt

Directions

Brown beef in two batches in a thick-bottomed soup kettle. Drain off fat and set browned beef aside. Heat 3 TB. oil in kettle over medium high heat, adding onions when hot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add red bell pepper and GARLIC, continuing to cook 2-3 more minutes. Add BLACK PEPPER, GROUND CUMIN, CHIPOTLE and HOT RED PEPPERS to taste plus CHILI POWDER, while continually stirring until spices begin to stick to bottom of kettle and brown (about 30-45 seconds). Quickly add 3 Cups of water. Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and the juice they were packed in. Add kidney beans and salt. Add the beef but try not to include any fat that may have accumulated. Stir. When chili begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Ideally chili should be simmered 3 hours to let all the flavors blend together. Stir about every 15 minutes, while checking to make sure heat is not too high, causing chili to stick to the bottom of the kettle. If you don't have 3 hours, use less CHIPOTLE and CRUSHED RED PEPPERS or else they will overpower the other flavors.

The things you may find you want to vary on top of a standard recipe are sweetness and acidity. The addition of a small amount of brown sugar, honey, or perhaps best would be molasses, can handle the sweetness. To handle acidity, you can always add a splash of vinegar or lime juice. Or, you can take the route of Alton Brown, who notes that there's a lot of chopping up of peppers and onions, and the need of some acidity... and note that commercial salsas have just that, and add some salsa instead of or in addition to some of the tomato puree and peppers.

horacethegrey

First Post
Well I always use this recipe from Saveur:

Woody De Silva's Championship Chili

I usually substitute the beef chuck with ground beef and let it simmer for 30 minutes instead of the 2 hours stated in the recipe, since the ground beef doesn't require much tenderizing. And I add red beans instead of masa harina (don't forget to salt the beans as you boil them!).

Really damn good chili recipe.

Descartes

Explorer
Not sure how spicy you want it but here's my recipe:
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and habanero
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can diced tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes
1 lbs of ground sirloin
1 lbs of hot Italian sausage
1/2 a medium yellow onion chopped
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of great northern beans
1/4 cup of chili powder
2 tsp of cumin
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
1 tbsp of garlic
salt and pepper to taste.
Brown the meat in a pan.
Dump all the beans, veggies,garlic, and spices in the pot. Drain the juice off the beans but use the juice off the tomatoes.
Once the meat is browned drain it and dump it into the pot(I usually dice it up so its not big chunks). I usually add a little spicy V8 to the mix and make a bloody mary with the leftovers. You may want to try poblano, serrano, or anaheim peppers to the mix. Each of which is kinda on par with a jalapeno pepper spicy wise.
Cook it at a low heat for 2-3hrs. Serve with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and Frito's.

Remove ads