Getting back into Magic: The Gathering after a loooong hiatus

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I last played during Ice Age. I just found out today there are no interrupts anymore.

Anyway, my D&D group wants to play M:tG when prepping for games (we have a player who is crucial to the story but is often late because of work).

Here's the caveat: I don't have a lot of money to spend. What kind of current deck can I make that's decent filled with cheap commons and uncommons?

Keep in mind that I don't know the new cards.

Thank you.

I have recently returned to M:TG myself as well!

I played from 1996 to 2000 (roughly from Alliances to Apocalypse, but the bulk of our cards back then consisted of the Ice Age, Mirage, and Tempest blocks), and last October a friend convinced a group of us to try the waters once more for a single afternoon (we used my old card collection, which nostalgia had impeded me from selling). Now there's 14 of us avidly playing again and organizing regular mini-tournaments at a friend's restaurant. It was like giving free samples of liquor at an AA meeting.

The changes to the game surprised many of us; some are explicit in the cards, while others have more to do with the new design philosophies. Here's a quick summary of the main changes the game has undergone (besides two designs changes to the cards themselves) from the 90's that I can remember:

-There's no more mana burn. If you overgenerate mana, it just goes away at the end of the turn.

-The mulligan is now a basic rule of the game (there's even a few cards that mess with mulligans themselves). You can redraw your hand as many times as you want, but with one less card each time (down to zero. I've read some decks that actually make it reasonable to mulligan down to 2 cards to make some strategies work).

-Legendaries are now only player-restricted, so if I play a Tobias Andrion and then you play another, both remain in game. If I play a second one, my previous one is destroyed.

-All creatures now follow a "Race-Class" subtype structure, so the old "Summon Creature" we were used to has given way to stuff like "Creature - Human Warrior" and "Creature - Legendary Naga Wizard Zombie Space Banana". This was followed by "The Great Update", in which older creatures without the new format were revised, so that old copy of Folk of An-Hava is now legally classified as "Creature - Human". This became important with the surge of "tribal mechanics" in the past decade (decks built around the idea of empowering specific types of creatures).

-Damage to multiple creatures blocking a single attacker is now assigned by the active player (ie, the attacker), instead of the other way around.

-A lot of mechanics that previously existed as specific cases have been standardized into keywords. For example, "Creatures damaged by this creature are destroyed", a long-standing staple of Black, is now simply called "Deathtouch", while things like walls changed the "This creature cannot attack" to "Defender".

-Due to changes in design philosophy, some traditional strategies have either become more expensive to play or have fewer options. Chiefly among them are counterspells, discard mechanics, land destruction, and creature removal. For example, while the old Counterspell had a cost of UU, it stopped being reprinted in 8th and now there are either cheaper but specific counterspells, or more expensive general counterspell (the equivalent to the old Counterspell card now costs UU1).

-The game has become significantly more creature-based. I read somewhere that Wizards felt creatures were at a disadvantage in previous edition when compared to instants/sorceries, so they've made the latter more expensive/with more drawbacks when it comes to handling creatures, while considerably bumping the power of the former, to the point that newer creatures outclass almost every similar equivalent from the past.

-Enchantments now have a subtype called "Aura". This word now sums up all the various "Enchant Creature", "Enchant Land", etc.

-There is now a fourth rarity class above Rare, called "Mythic" (the icon is orange). I think it's like 1 Mythic every 10 boosters or so.

-"Expeditions" are extremely rare non-basic lands that get printed from time to time and can show up randomly in any booster, regardless of the set. These are always foil and can fetch prices well above 100 USD. I've heard they show up every 200 boosters, but I'm not sure if this is true.

-Speaking of non-basic lands, they are now ubiquitous, mainly because the game has greatly expanded on the multicoloured realm.

-In that line, colour combinations that used to be taboo are now highly supported. For instance, the Khans of Tarkir set from last year was all about "wedge decks", that's it, decks with two sister colours plus one enemy colour (such as Green-White-Black or Black-Blue-Green).

-Planewalkers were introduced as a new type of permanent. They are extremely powerful cards that have a "Loyalty Counter", which acts as both their individual life total (down to zero and they are destroyed) and a resource you can spend to activate their powers. They usually have 3 powers, some of which increase their loyalty and others which decrease it, often with an "ultimate" superpower that more or less can end a game when played properly. They are not considered creatures, and thus cannot attack or block, but opponents can use their creatures to attack either you or a planewalker you control. Each point of damage removes a loyalty counter.

-The Formats have expanded and got renamed, such as Type 1 now being "Vintage" and Type 2 being "Standard". "Modern" is a new format that allows cards only from 8th Edition forward, while "Commander" (formally EDH, a format where you play a Singleton 100 deck with a legend that works as a commander and has special abilities) has become so popular Wizards even sells pre-made decks for it. M:TG Online made some other formats popular that have now expanded into the physical game, most notably "Pauper", which only allows common cards.

-Cubes have become a very popular way of playing casual M:TG. A cube is basically a custom set of cards you put together and then use as a pool of cards to create random boosters, thus allowing you to play draft with it. The main advantage is that they allow you to create both a fair playing field (as everyone gets to draw randomly from the same pool) and it lets you determine beforehand the style of decks available (for instance, you could make an Urza's Saga cube to play like it was in those days, or a cube that has no flying creatures in it).

Those are the main changes I can remember, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

Here's the caveat: I don't have a lot of money to spend. What kind of current deck can I make that's decent filled with cheap commons and uncommons?

Keep in mind that I don't know the new cards.

Thank you.

Regarding your question, I'd totally reccommend trying a Pauper deck; they are both very cheap to make (as they only allow common cards), and have really interesting strategies available to them. TappedOut has a lot of already designed decks for this format (and for any format, really, should you prefer to play something else), which you can find here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-builder/pauper/

A thing to consider if you are planning on playing again is how cards are being sold. If you want a quick plunge into the newer sets, I'd strongly advice getting a Deckbuilder's Toolkit, which include a sizeable number of fixed, semi-random, and random cards (the fixed cards are always the same, while the semi-random tend to vary little from toolkit to toolkit), plus some lands. It's specifically designed to grant you a broad spectrum of deck building strategies, and are very cheap considering what they provide (getting more than one is less cost-effective, though).

Boosters are less random than what they used to be, mainly because they are now designed to be used in Draft format. As a result, a single booster can often support several different decks, but because of this they are very unreliable for getting cards for a specific deck. In this case, if you are aiming to build a specific deck, it might be more cost-effective to purchase cards individually (places like CardKingdom have become truly massive card dealers these days).

Finally, I would advice skipping the themed products such as Duel Decks, Event Decks, and the like. Though they are great if you just want a quick deck to play (Duel Decks include 2 pre-constructed decks designed to be effective against one another), if you like to build your own stuff they are often not very effective.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Personally I'd invest in 1 box of whatever the newest set is (at the cheapest price you can find) + about 20 of each basic land.
Then I'd build decks out of that.
Will those be the greatest decks ever? No, though depending upon how well you construct decks & play they'll still win you some games. You'll have a variety AND you might get some stuff useful for later trade/sale.
3-6 months later? Repeat the process.

In the meantime browse through the card lists on Wizards of the Coasts site. Then make a shopping list of singles.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help!

Cristian: I browsed that site, and they have a section for budget decks too.

Some people in the comments sections were talking about how they bought their decks for $10 shipped or something. Where can you buy these cards online at their listed values?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Is there a place that sells these deck builder tool kits the cheapest?

I'm just browsing at Target (Star Wars blu ray - yay!) and a Magic Origins deck builders toolkit is $41.99. Is that decent?

They also have Fate Reforged, Magic Origins, Oath of the Gatewatch, and Khans of Tarkir intro packs, all with different names, for $15.99.

Also, what's the newest set?

I hate being an askhole, but I'm totally lost here. I don't have a ton of cash to be splurging on a game and want my money's worth!

Thanks!!!

ccs

41st lv DM
Is there a place that sells these deck builder tool kits the cheapest?

I'm just browsing at Target (Star Wars blu ray - yay!) and a Magic Origins deck builders toolkit is $41.99. Is that decent?

I think the newest set is Inisrahd-something-or-other. Came out last Friday or maybe it's coming this week. I know the local shop had some sort of pre-release or launch event this past Friday (they were open at midnight & that only happens when a new MTG set hits).
Just Google searching Magic set release dates should work.

That Origin tool kit?
Looks good enough selection wise to get you playing. But not at that price. Check Amazon. I bet you could get several tool kits for that $.

Other sites to buy cards from:
Troll & Toad
Coolstuffinc.
Star City Games
No idea how thier prices are nowdays....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases