D&D 5E Dwarven Battlerager Build

GarrettKP

Explorer
I'd like some help or opinions on making a Dwarven Battlerager. I'd like to stick as close as possible to the Lore of a Battlerager and optimize a grappler build. My biggest question is how would you handle feats? I've looked through them all and while some are nice options I can't seem to find one that feels right for my build.

Here's what I have so far - (Mountain) Shield Dwarf Battlerager

Str: 17, Dex: 14, Con: 17, Int: 8, Wis: 10, Char: 8

Background: Solider

Skills: Athletics, Perception, Intimidate, Survival

Plan on using Spiked Armor and a Battleaxe so I can grapple foes, shove them prone and wail on them with the armor and the axe.

As for the Multiclass question, I'm still unsure if I'll be allowed to multi in this campaign. If so I am not against it but I want to stick to concept first (no rogue multiclass as it makes no sense for the concept even if it's optimal mechanically). I was thinking maybe Fighter but I'm open to opinions. Because I'm not sure if multiclassing is allowed I'd like options for both.

Thanks.

Last edited:

NeverLucky

First Post
Barbarian levels above 8 don't really give you all that much until very high levels, so I'd suggest taking somewhere between 4 to 12 levels of Battle Master after Barbarian 8. Max your Strength as soon as possible, then take some feats: Shield Master for bonus action shoves along with some defense, Martial Adept for more maneuvers/dice, Resilient (Wis) so you don't wreck the party, or Lucky because everyone wants to get lucky.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Great guide on grappling!

I guess the only question is the spike on the armor, I'm not sure how that would work.

The Battlerager is a subclass in SCAG. You use it to attack as a bonus action for 1d4 plus strength and it does 3 damage on a successful grapple. At 14th level enemies take 3 points of damage when they hit you while you wear the armor.

jbOKgamer

Villager
If I was to suggest a feat for the Battlerager it would be the Charger or Mobile to help you move into melee range (if you feel that encounters will begin at range). Either of these two feats could help out a dwarf who must close range with targets to grapple and attack. I would have to say before I picked a feat I would want to improve my STR to 20.

GarrettKP

Explorer
If I was to suggest a feat for the Battlerager it would be the Charger or Mobile to help you move into melee range (if you feel that encounters will begin at range). Either of these two feats could help out a dwarf who must close range with targets to grapple and attack. I would have to say before I picked a feat I would want to improve my STR to 20.

I considered mobile, tho Barbarians getting extra movement speed helps with this already. And the best part of the mobile feat (the free disengage) is wasted on my Barbarian who would never run from a challenge. Charger might be worth a look. How does it work with Grappling tho?

the_move

First Post
Barbarian levels above 8 don't really give you all that much until very high levels, so I'd suggest taking somewhere between 4 to 12 levels of Battle Master after Barbarian 8. Max your Strength as soon as possible, then take some feats: Shield Master for bonus action shoves along with some defense, Martial Adept for more maneuvers/dice, Resilient (Wis) so you don't wreck the party, or Lucky because everyone wants to get lucky.

Grappling requires at least one free hand, so Shield Master would not be enough. Tavern Brawler will be needed either, so that you can use the shield as your weapon with proficiency. This would not be that bad, as you trade the d8 of your primary attack for a d4, but in return you get additional armor, which gets better with magical shields and Shield Master is working great in conjunction with Danger Sense to give you a lot more durability, especially against most evocation spells and traps.

At lvl 10 a battlerager can use dash as a bonus action while raging, so neither Mobile, nor Charger feat are needed. Therefore I would clearly stay on the path.

Investing 4 lvls into fighter later on is not a bad decision, as you gain a fighting style (Dueling/Defense), Action Surge and superiority dice (Battle Master) with it. The 1d10+4 Second Wind might be underwhelming, but a small heal is better than no heal. At least it helps saving hit dice during the day.

Last edited:

GarrettKP

Explorer
Grappling requires at least one free hand, so Shield Master would not be enough. Tavern Brawler will be needed either, so that you can use the shield as an improvised weapon. This would not be that bad, as you trade the d8 of your primary attack for a d4, but in return you get additional armor, which gets better with magical shields and Shield Master is working great in conjunction with Danger Sense to give you a lot more durability, especially against most evocation spells and traps.

At lvl 10 a battlerager can use dash as a bonus action while raging, so neither Mobile, nor Charger feat are needed. Therefore I would clearly stay on the path.

Also get a great weapon, like a greataxe/-sword/maul. You can use such when not grappling. Since you only need one hand to carry them you can grapple at least one target, though you can not use your weapon, while you are grappling,...but that's, what your armor is made for. Push with your knees during a grapple. Or get a spiked/edged helmet and do headbutts.

The reason I wanted to go Battleaxe over Greataxe is I can use it two handed when not grappling but can also go one hand and beat them down while grappling.

My original idea was to get a shield and go Shield Master but I can't use that and an axe. So I'm debating which way to go. Tho Tavern Brawler doesn't seem worth it. Two feats might be a bit much as I wanna max Strength and Con.

I definitely like the idea of staying on path for the Battlerager. I wanted to get to Spiked Retribution and love the level 20 capstone of a Barbarian. Tho I can see the benefits of doing a 1-3 level dip for Fighter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases