April AL Releases

Rils

Explorer
Yeah, it's finally April AL Releases Day! Our home group had planned on running the AL series for our monthly game, and as the DM I just went to buy the new modules, but I'm little confused by the descriptions in the "blurbs" for each. I know it's been said that they form a linear plot, but then why does 04-02 say "return to the Quivering Forest" - when we either just got sucked into the Mists (04-01) or just walked out of Death House into the streets of Barovia Village? I thought we were stuck in Ravenloft?

Also, why does 04-05 say "you finally get to explore beyond the village of Oranou", when by that point you're already 4 modules in and already have experienced the Village of Barovia? (assuming Death House, which we're in the middle of.) Won't you have already seen a few sights by that point?

I realize the easy answer is "buy the modules and find out", but before I use my monthly gaming budget on them, I'd appreciate any comments people are willing to share about the continuity of the story (once you've had a chance to look them over, of course). What I'm reading in the product descriptions doesn't seem to match up with the intro material, and I'm now hesitating before heading down that path...

Thanks,

Yeah, it's finally April AL Releases Day! Our home group had planned on running the AL series for our monthly game, and as the DM I just went to buy the new modules, but I'm little confused by the descriptions in the "blurbs" for each. I know it's been said that they form a linear plot, but then why does 04-02 say "return to the Quivering Forest" - when we either just got sucked into the Mists (04-01) or just walked out of Death House into the streets of Barovia Village? I thought we were stuck in Ravenloft?

Also, why does 04-05 say "you finally get to explore beyond the village of Oranou", when by that point you're already 4 modules in and already have experienced the Village of Barovia? (assuming Death House, which we're in the middle of.) Won't you have already seen a few sights by that point?

I realize the easy answer is "buy the modules and find out", but before I use my monthly gaming budget on them, I'd appreciate any comments people are willing to share about the continuity of the story (once you've had a chance to look them over, of course). What I'm reading in the product descriptions doesn't seem to match up with the intro material, and I'm now hesitating before heading down that path...

Thanks,

1) Because part of the Realms gets sucked into Barovia as part of the plot. That part includes a portion of the Quivering Forest.

2) The adventures assume that you start with 4-01, and thus did not play Death House. 4-01 through 4-04 are all in the parts of the Realms in Barovia or in the nearby village of Orosnou and thus the PC has never been to the village of Barovia (if you played Death House, you are skipping 4-01 and thus may have seen other parts of the domain).

Rils

Explorer
Thanks Greg for the quick response. That helps to at least put the modules in context. Is there any guidance for how to transition from DH to 04-02, or is that left up to the DM's "+1 Magic Wand of Plot Devices"?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
There's a 'Welcome to Barovia' section in the adventure intro that talks about how to introduce the characters to Barovia, and that leaves them just outside a small mountain village, which turns out to be Orasnou.

I'd advise reading through DDAL 04-03 before running 04-02; 04-03 contains a map of Orasnou which is very useful to get an idea of the layout of the village, though the map sadly only identifies locations of interest to that module. You'll have to decide for yourself where locations listed in the other modules but not noted in 04-03 are located.

--
Pauper

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I had a lot of fun with Gregori. Hes obviously selling the best of whats available but Im loving the reactions to my slightly dodgy Eastern European accent when he explains that of course they dont sell Brestplates or Plate Armour.

Granville

First Post
Where is Orsnou on the map of Barovia that comes with the Strahd Hardcover? Or at the very least where is it supposed to show up?

Where is Orsnou on the map of Barovia that comes with the Strahd Hardcover? Or at the very least where is it supposed to show up?

The part of the vanishing hills and quivering forest attach to the northeast corner of barovia, and the village of Orasnou appears in that area (inside Barovia, north of Svalich woods) when it does.

Makiavel

First Post
Is there more information on the "part of the Realms gets sucked into Barovia" part? The only indication I've found is in Suits of the Mists when Sybil says "We've arrived". Is that it?

And on the Orasnou map there's a road leading to the Quivering Forest or the Glumpen Swamp. What if the players take one of those roads? There back in Faerun?

How about buying Curse of Strahd? Will I find more information in it?

Thanks

Remove ads