Rogue One trailer

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I didn't make an argument. I asked a question. Do you have an answer to the question?

Oen can answer with a question. The thing is, maybe someone can't put words on feelings, but I know Star Wars isn't Star Trek even if both are sci-fi.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The thing is, maybe someone can't put words on feelings, but I know Star Wars isn't Star Trek even if both are sci-fi.

I think that depends on how loosely one defines sci-fi. For me, Star Wars has always been fantasy in a high-tech setting. One of the other differences is the way Star Trek conforms to the sci-fi trope of raising questions about the world we live in by analogizing issues in the story.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That isn't the story I'm talking about. With Rogue One I'm talking about Rebels going after the Death Star. We know that story. It is the iconic #4... and 6, and 7 and arguably #1. Now 3.5 is about it again? We know. The Rebels really want to blow the Death Star. And do it. Many times. Can we get something else?

Obviously not, since fans demand more and more of the same thing. Of well. As long as fans give their money to Disney, all will stay the same.

yeah I do admit that having another Death Star was the biggest flaw in the new movie, and really shouldn't have happened. But for me the original trilogy was entirely about the Rebels vs Death Star and Rogue One serves to fill the gap of how did Leia get the plans that got the whole franchise going. Its a neat piece of fan service for sure but workes because it fills in the arc rather than repeating it.

Hopefully they branch out in future movies, they already did the 2 Ewok Adventures in 1984/85 so thats something.

Kramodlog

yeah I do admit that having another Death Star was the biggest flaw in the new movie, and really shouldn't have happened. But for me the original trilogy was entirely about the Rebels vs Death Star and Rogue One serves to fill the gap of how did Leia get the plans that got the whole franchise going. Its a neat piece of fan service for sure but workes because it fills in the arc rather than repeating it.
It really is, but the majority of people who go see the films aren't "fans". You still need to reach a wide audience. At least at some point.

Hopefully they branch out in future movies, they already did the 2 Ewok Adventures in 1984/85 so thats something.
And a Christmas special!

Kramodlog

I think that depends on how loosely one defines sci-fi. For me, Star Wars has always been fantasy in a high-tech setting. One of the other differences is the way Star Trek conforms to the sci-fi trope of raising questions about the world we live in by analogizing issues in the story.

The force isn't science? What about midi-chlorians!?

MechaPilot

Explorer
The force isn't science?

No.

What about midi-chlorians!?

What about them? Just because you invent a microscopic organism that has a symbiotic relationship with a host doesn't mean you've explained how those organisms have access to magical abilities to grant to their host. Midiclorians are just like The Weave in FR. However, the midiclorians are widely mocked and regarded as a mistake even by people who actually like the prequels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases