Can't see new posts in the thread on harassment in gaming

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
OK, how is the missing pages issue now?

It's back after being fixed the past few days. For example, in the thread 'Thoughts of a 3e/4e powergamer on starting to play 5e' in the 5e forum, I can only see up to post 840. The thread says it has new posts, and the forum page shows the last post as not being post 840, but I cannot go past 840. On tapatalk, however, I can read up to post 844.

This is the first instance I've run across that is broken, and I have not done more extensive testing.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It's back after being fixed the past few days. For example, in the thread 'Thoughts of a 3e/4e powergamer on starting to play 5e' in the 5e forum, I can only see up to post 840. The thread says it has new posts, and the forum page shows the last post as not being post 840, but I cannot go past 840. On tapatalk, however, I can read up to post 844.

This is the first instance I've run across that is broken, and I have not done more extensive testing.

And... once the thread hit reply 845, it sorted itself out. So the issue is only apparent within a few posts of going onto a new page -- at least in that thread. If I had to guess, it's that I'm being blocked by a poster with four or fewer posts in the thread. Is there a way to see who's blocking you?

delericho

Legend
And... once the thread hit reply 845, it sorted itself out. So the issue is only apparent within a few posts of going onto a new page -- at least in that thread. If I had to guess, it's that I'm being blocked by a poster with four or fewer posts in the thread. Is there a way to see who's blocking you?

I would expect there isn't, at least directly - that being part of the point, if it's intended to stop harassment. The problem is that at two-way block actually makes it easier to figure out than a one-way ignore - if you see someone quoting a post that you haven't yourself seen, the person being quoted probably has you on block.

I'm really doubtful that this is a step forward. But, hey, it's not my site.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I would expect there isn't, at least directly - that being part of the point, if it's intended to stop harassment. The problem is that at two-way block actually makes it easier to figure out than a one-way ignore - if you see someone quoting a post that you haven't yourself seen, the person being quoted probably has you on block.

I'm really doubtful that this is a step forward. But, hey, it's not my site.

Well, I've seen things that hide posts on VB boards break in exactly the same way this one is breaking*, and it appeared due to the system miscounting shown posts vs all posts (so in direct relation to the hidden posts). I don't know where Morrus picked up the block function, but if it's a hack and not a core functional aspect of VB, I'd expect that since the current issues are identical to the ones I've seen previously that the block function is at the root of it.

As for the efficacy of the block function, I've already registered some questions, but am under no illusion that Morrus owes me answers, either.

CapnZapp

Legend
The problem is that at two-way block actually makes it easier to figure out than a one-way ignore
That was the point I made earlier.

But the admins seems to be aware of this and have taken it into account. (Since I avoid social media and have not had the unfortunate experience of being cyberstalked I'm not entirely sure what Morrus means when he talks about robust anti-harrasment tools... I'm guessing there are use cases that needed a higher priority than being able to find out you've been put on somebody's Ignore list?)

Since the admins do this aware of the consequences, I'm good. (Assuming the bugs are fixed, obvs)

Fanaelialae

Legend
It's happening again. I can now see all of the posts from the previous thread I mentioned, but I just posted in the Reactions thread and I can't view the post I wrote (even though it shows that I wrote the last post in the thread).

Fanaelialae

Legend
FWIW, I tried viewing the thread while logged out and using a browser (Chrome) that I don't use for ENWorld (so I don't think it could have been cached). I have the same issue regardless. As far as I can tell, no one in either thread has me on ignore.

Edit:
I've recently noticed that sometimes when I post, my new post shows up on the page that I was viewing and then, if I refresh, gets "pushed" to the next page because other people posted while I was composing my post.

I'm pretty sure that happened the last time I posted in the Reactions thread (which was when I noticed the issue), and I think it may have also been the case in the other thread.

Is it possible that is causing the issue?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases