D&D 5E 5e Old School and Oriental Adventures

GreyLord

Legend
So, now that I've retired a bit, what is one to do?

Well, a few months ago they opened up the ability to make D&D stuff available on a site called DMs Guild. So, I started putting together a document.

I used to play a Forgotten Realms game which combined with Kara Tur (so everything under the sun was available then in that game) and this book is really a homage to that.

It IS for 5e...it uses the 5e rules, and all references in the book are to 5e rulebooks. I suppose some of it could be useful if you have the downloaded Basic books from WotC, but the page references will be wrong and you won't have access to everything referenced in the books (for example, some of the monsters and other creatures found in the Monster Manual). It is intended for use with the 5e core rulebooks.

HOWEVER, it is trying to recreate the feel of OD&D, BX & BECMI, and AD&D using the 5e rules.

It's basically a toolbox, and bunch of different options to make a 5e game run more like an Old School game. I've tried to be pretty inclusive.

There are many differences from the old rulesets (for example, I tried to use the archetype idea to it's maximum flexibility in this, almost everything for classes from AD&D are done through archetypes that can be applied to the Fighter, Wizard, Cleric and Rogue...I think it's a unique take...but one that reflects how almost every class was considered a subclass of another class in 1e and 2e).

I tried to include something for everyone, so I even have an alternate combat system for 5e (using the skill proficiency type system from 5e with contested skills rather then the Weapon proficiency vs. Armor class system in place), as well using armor for damage reduction (as per the 5e AC tables) instead of defending from hits.

This is made for NOSTALGIA purposes...and in that, it isn't all that balanced. However, if there is any balance at all, it was made with the intention of a reduced Ability score modifiers with more emphasis on class growth and ability. I put in an old Ability score idea that used to be around (you can only get a maximum of a +1 or -1 ability modifier) and applied it to the archetype design of the archetypes presented in the document (if you use the default 5e ability modifiers, it will get gonzo real quick, but some like that type of playstyle). Hence, the default method for generating scores to use with this document it the point buy located in the 5e PHB (and the document notes this as well). This means the maximum one would have is a 17 in any score (and that would be ONE score while all others would suffer).

The archetypes, are built to NOT INCLUDE ability score increases.

However, this is a TOOLBOX made so that people can pick and choose what rules they would like, not like, or merely to use to inspire people in house ruling their games as they wish to house rule them.

I think this is the link to where it's located.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/180409/5e-Old-School-and-Oriental-Adventures

You shouldn't have to pay a red cent to read it or use it (I couldn't figure out how to make it totally free...I guess I'm that tech illiterate...sorry...but you dont' have to pay anything, it's pay what you want..as well as having a free quick preview and free full preview of everything in it).

Artwork is ALL original (not by me) and I think is VERY old school in how it looks (OLD school as in 1975-1978 type old school artwork). It doesn't copy other's art, it's all original, but it's done in a style that tries to replicate the feel of that artwork (and the entire book isn't writing down the old rules, it's about establishing the feel of those games and giving a pick and choose toolbox for those who want to have that feel in their game).

Anyways, this thing is definitely NOT edition specific (as I said, it would cover the feel of OD&D, BX and BECMI, and AD&D) as far as the feel it is trying to recreate, but it is trying to recreate that feeling with the 5e rules.

I really don't care about sales (seriously) I'd just rather people download it and use it if it is useful and spread it around. Print it out and make a hardcopy if they want.

If there is enough interest in this type of nostalgia product, my next one (at least I'm thinking of doing it) is using these optional rules as a jumping board to the next project, which I would call, 5e Old School: NO rhyme or reason.

It would be another nostalgia product hearkening back to those old school dungeons where things really didn't make any sense. Hopefully it would be a mega type dungeon, with a LOT of random stuff in it. Someplace where you may have goblins and zombies living side by side, but at the same time you have these really deadly traps that for some reason none of them have ever set off and gotten killed by.

That type of crazy stuff. Like in Holmes where you have this dungeon where you have a giant spider, but no more than a couple hundred yards away, you have all these bandits loading up loot. Why the spider has waited for you instead of getting those bandits in the old Holmes box adventure...who knows?

One of the inspirations for that would be undermountain and other Forgotten realms type dungeons...but with a definitely more old school random type slant like.

But that's the type of stuff that would go into this No rhyme or reason project, along with (hopefully) massive random dungeon generators.

But...that's getting ahead of myself. Take a look at this book and see if I should continue down nostalgia lane or if it's simply a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Remove ads