What treasure do you wish was in upcoming adventures?

nswanson27

First Post
I'd like to see more mundane treasure that has symbolic value within the storyline season, and that can be referenced in later adventures in providing a benefit or even a hindrance when playing those adventures.

Example: In Season 3, perhaps you had the opportunity to take a trophy from a demonic opponent, and doing so gave you Disadvantage on madness saves from demonic sources in further Season 3 adventures, but also allowed Advantage on Arcana and Investigation checks in a specific scene in a later adventure where you are in an area that was significant to that demonic opponent.

I appreciate that AL wants to have more 'flavorful' items available as treasure, but there are more ways to do that than simply rolling on the quirks table in the DMG when deciding what magic item is in the adventure.

--
Pauper

Along this line, it would be fun to be able to discover the history and origin of magic items - given that they are a rarity if 5e. Another fun idea would be if you weren't able to know/use all of a magic item's power unless you discovered it and learned how to unlock its potential.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I would state at this point that all of the items Ive seen so far for Season 4 have been very flavour filled. All of them.

I know people keep telling me that 5e is supposed to be more character power orientated and less magic item based, but frankly, most AL scenarios are dishing out a magical item of some sort. We have on average 16 scenarios a season, discounting the 5 1 hour scenarios, thats 15 items. At the end of the 3 seasons just for DDAL scenarios thats 45 items. Thats a fair wack of magic items.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Idea: a young raven or wolf cub, suitable for serving as a Ranger's companion or other sort of pet? I don't recall any of the adventures I've done providing potentially adoptable or tameable animals.

I have a forest gnome barbarian that would probably pass on a magic weapon if he could ride a wolf or black bear into battle. Maybe I'm just unclear on the rules there, but it's an idea with a certain appeal for some character concepts.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I would state at this point that all of the items Ive seen so far for Season 4 have been very flavour filled. All of them.

I know people keep telling me that 5e is supposed to be more character power orientated and less magic item based, but frankly, most AL scenarios are dishing out a magical item of some sort. We have on average 16 scenarios a season, discounting the 5 1 hour scenarios, thats 15 items. At the end of the 3 seasons just for DDAL scenarios thats 45 items. Thats a fair wack of magic items.
And yet my characters don't seem to get any...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I like getting magic items and other treasure. It's been part of my D&D experience since the late '70s. No, they shouldn't be a 'requirement' to compete at higher levels, but they help differentiate your character in cool ways. And yeah, sometimes it was waay too much. I like the current AL system, mostly, though I think the paucity of magic items makes creating interesting and powerful opponents who wield them less common.

felwred

First Post
Idea: a young raven or wolf cub, suitable for serving as a Ranger's companion or other sort of pet? I don't recall any of the adventures I've done providing potentially adoptable or tameable animals.

I have a forest gnome barbarian that would probably pass on a magic weapon if he could ride a wolf or black bear into battle. Maybe I'm just unclear on the rules there, but it's an idea with a certain appeal for some character concepts.

The raven as a familiar/follower exists in a low level adventure (surprised me).

Fred

ZethTheRed

First Post
I'd like to see some class specific magic items, i.e., Holy Avenger (yes I have a Paladin).
Items that increase Strength (Belt of Giant Strength - I think you had to go to a convention to get that) / Amulet of Health (once again I think that was a magic item handed out at Conventions).
The Tomes/Manuals(?) which can increase an ability score, those would be sweet!
I have several characters ready for Tier 3 and a Staff of Power (once again I think that was only given out at a convention) would be great for a wizard!

GreenTengu

Adventurer
A gender switching belt that increases your Charisma to 22 and casts Charm Person once per day using charisma stat on a single individual the character is talking to at DM discretion. Once fastened cannot be taken off without the curse being removed via cleric ritual magic.

A glowing intelligent sword that effectively gives you proficiency in History, but also tends to start singing at the most inopportune times-- like when people are sleeping or when you are trying to be stealthy.

A magical pair of gloves that make everything super sticky and thus make it so you can:t be disarmed and give you a climb speed equal to your movement speed, but thus causes the Dexterity score for hitting with weapons or using Sleight of Hand to become 6. They cannot be removed unless the curse is broken.

A helm that increases one's strength to 22, but after you make an initial attack roll in combat will force you to make a DC20 Wisdom check or attack a random target each turn including allies.

Basically cursed items that have a major upside but such a devastating downside that one will want to get rid of them as soon as possible.

Last edited:

RCanine

First Post
I'd like to see some class specific magic items, i.e., Holy Avenger (yes I have a Paladin).
Items that increase Strength (Belt of Giant Strength - I think you had to go to a convention to get that) / Amulet of Health (once again I think that was a magic item handed out at Conventions).
The Tomes/Manuals(?) which can increase an ability score, those would be sweet!
I have several characters ready for Tier 3 and a Staff of Power (once again I think that was only given out at a convention) would be great for a wizard!

I can't think of anything less interesting than static, passive bonuses. Yawn.

I'd like to see more magic items that are niche but powerful, and fewer things that bland but generally useful. There are now multiple rods of the pact keeper available, which is a bummer because the items are so good they're hard to deny.

For example, consider a longsword +1, versus a magic longsword that is +4 versus lycanthropes. Or arrows that allow you to use a 10 instead of rolling for an attack. Or a dagger that lets you expend hit dice when you hit to do damage. Magic items are best when they create interesting gameplay options and give you time to shine, not when they just passively change the math of the whole game.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
My hope is that from here on we keep seeing more items with flavor. Each item so far in Season 4 has had something.. different about it. I wont go into details but thats exactly what we have.. items with details. A little thing off here and there and while yes its certainly found in the DMG , the admin teams have done something just a little bit different.

Thats what I want.

I also want to see more non combat orientated items.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases