What treasure do you wish was in upcoming adventures?

CapnZapp

Legend
I have a hard time seeing a problem here.

The way Monster Manual is written it's clear the expectation is that at least some campaigns will have fighters facing monsters that halve their damage.

(Not overcoming these damage resistances is not treated like a bug, but as a challenge. You aren't entitled to automatically do full damage at any point in a given campaign)

But the PHB contains tools to allow you to overcome these resistances, and quite generous they are too.

So why not create a character capable of fixing this issue without relying on other players, if you play in such a campaign?

NeverLucky

First Post
So why not create a character capable of fixing this issue without relying on other players, if you play in such a campaign?
Essentially, what you're suggesting is don't play single class Champion, Battle Master, Thief, Assassin, Valor Bard, Barbarian, or Ranger in AL. I don't think it's worth killing off this many character concepts for the sake of not being a little more generous with magic weapons.

Having resistance to nonmagic weapons affects a creatures CR (by as much as doubling its effective hit points when determining its difficulty). If every weapon based character should have a magic weapon we should its assume that its not an advantage and increase the number of monsters or their individual hit points accordingly.

Byakugan

First Post
I would be happier if there were less magic items, but that the ones that are awarded are more aligned with the party that finds it.

At the end of a major part of the plot...Captain Bob awards your group 1 item from the list...
a. Cloak of elvenkind
b. A +1 melee weapon of your choice.
c. A tankard of plenty that creates elven wine.
d. A wand of Magic Missiles

then whoever in the party had priority of choice gets to win something that they are much more likely to want/use. That list has decent choices for steathy, melee, caster types, and even the guy that doesnt care about combat and LOVES to get neat RP items.

i hate seeing cool magic stuff rot on the ground bevause of the loot rules.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Having resistance to nonmagic weapons affects a creatures CR (by as much as doubling its effective hit points when determining its difficulty). If every weapon based character should have a magic weapon we should its assume that its not an advantage and increase the number of monsters or their individual hit points accordingly.

Wow, total straw man argument. I don't think anyone went as far as to say that all melee class characters should actually *have* a magic weapon, whether they want one or not.

A temporary magical weapon is available to some classes but not others (shillelagh, others), and a chunk of the ones that can do it are among the least likely to go melee due to having low hit points. At times this can feel unfair. Maybe it all factors in to class balance and party balance (which I thought wasn't supposed to be a thing anymore), but in that case in my next session maybe I'll step my fighter back and refuse to tank for the squishy characters unless they step up and give me the buff I need to simply land the damage I roll. That'll go over well. . .

Some creatures have resistance to silver or magic weapons. Silver is an upgrade available to anyone. +0 other than resistance issues. I'm still scratching my head on whether that even qualifies as magical.

Some creatures have resistance to Adamantine or magic weapons. An otherwise unenchanted Adamantine weapon is nowhere to be found in four seasons of AL adventures, I've been looking. There's no actual definition of what an unenchanted Adamantine weapon actually does, other than overcome some resistances (by inference from the MM), but for some characters maybe that's enough. Again, I have to wonder if that actually qualifies as a magic item.

If one +0 weapon overcoming resistance to a fairly short list of creatures is available and considered fair, why is another, with an even shorter list of impacted creatures, not? That inconsistency seems unfair. At least having the option to overcome with Adamantine or some other more acessable means would be fun, it's something to daydream about.

Honestly we've been through this already, and I don't expect AL to change one iota. That doesn't mean I like it. I know the coordinators don't have the power to rule on things like this, but you could at least have an ounce of sympathy when people are commiserating over pain points and making wishlists, daydreaming if you will. That this is completely unavailable is a bug, not a feature.

If you introduce opponents with silver resistance in the adventures and silver is available, the opportunity to make a choice about your character is on the player. Maybe they'd rather buy health potions, but it's their choice. If (and apparently it's a "when pigs fly" thing in AL) adamantine were available for purchase on even a limited basis, say in the Underdark only and for a 500-1000gp surcharge (maybe even plus downtime to go there, whatever), then once again it's got a lot to do with the player's priorities. The imbalance is and always will be jarring. That's my opinion.

And I get it that you have zero respect for that.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Essentially, what you're suggesting is don't play single class Champion, Battle Master, Thief, Assassin, Valor Bard, Barbarian, or Ranger in AL. I don't think it's worth killing off this many character concepts for the sake of not being a little more generous with magic weapons.
No, you can still play those classes should you feel confident you can ask your spellcasting fellow adventurers for assistance.

It's only if you absolutely can't stand the idea of D&D as a group activity where allies help each other that I would recommend against these classes.

Wow, total straw man argument. I don't think anyone went as far as to say that all melee class characters should actually *have* a magic weapon, whether they want one or not.

The argument made previously was it was unfair that weapon based characters should be nerfed by creatures resistant to nonmagic weapons and therefore should be able to purchase +0 magic weapons for gold. (You will note that nowhere did I say "whether they want them or not" so perhaps your own straw man there.) You seem particularly angry that the admins should think damage resistance should affect CR and should sometimes come into play much like magic resistance affects some magic using builds. I'm sorry for that. We'll continue to adjust the magic item balance and hopefully we will be able to move in a way that alleviates your dissatisfaction with the current method/balance.

Cascade

First Post
....We'll continue to adjust the magic item balance and hopefully we will be able to move in a way that alleviates your dissatisfaction with the current method/balance.

This is an excellent idea...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...g-adventures&p=6887267&viewfull=1#post6887267
At the end of a major part of the plot...Captain Bob awards your group 1 item from the list...
a. Cloak of elvenkind
b. A +1 melee weapon of your choice.
c. A tankard of plenty that creates elven wine.
d. A wand of Magic Missiles

then whoever in the party had priority of choice gets to win something that they are much more likely to want/use. That list has decent choices for steathy, melee, caster types, and even the guy that doesnt care about combat and LOVES to get neat RP items.

i hate seeing cool magic stuff rot on the ground bevause of the loot rules.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There is another thread around here somewhere (too lazy to search, bad me) that has some low-level magic items. I contributed this, based on a 4e item:

Basket of Everlasting Provisions
This basket will, 1/day, provide enough food for the party to eat a full meal. This is enough to avoid the "starving" penalties.

The basket can be "color-ized" or "flavored" (pardon the pun)
- Has a holy symbol on top, produces "kosher" food on its' faith's holy days
- Layman's holy basket, offers fish on Fridays - and similar cultural traditions that are not literally in the religious texts
- Beat up old basket produces food that looks like it fell from the cupboard onto the table. At the end of the meal you can dump out a bunch of crumbs and odds & ends
- Elf-made and generates elven food (mostly vegetarian but very good)
- Dwarf-made and produces weak ale instead of water
- Nature-attuned, offers venison when in the wild forest, a roast beef sandwich when in civilized areas, or unidentifiable jerky in the desert. (What do you get on glacier-covered mountaintops?)
- Cursed basket insists on providing the "food" from the fancy meal in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - chilled monkey brains &c.

Remove ads