Pathfinder 1E Creating a pegasus (or other non-speaking Magical Beast) PC.

I've liked the idea of playing a pegasus PC for a long time, long before I became a fan of My Little Pony. It would have limitations, but ones which are fun to play. Something like a pegasus Monk or pegasus Cleric could be quite fun.

Minimal dexterity is easy to acquire for 900 GP (Amulet of Hand of the Mage) or 2500 GP (Mage Hand + Permanancy). But pegasi, although having human-level intelligence do not speak. Unicorns have it easier, they can speak common.

Animals have Awaken, which does rather more, but there's nothing for granting speech to a magical beast.

Hereticus

First Post
My druid liked to cast the third level anthropomorphic animal spell while in wild shape as a huge saber-tooth tiger.

"Professor Tiger" would wear scholar's robes and glasses with a pipe, and carry a Shillelagh.

For fun he would sometimes make appearances in town with his hands positioned backwards (rakshasa style).

My druid liked to cast the third level anthropomorphic animal spell while in wild shape as a huge saber-tooth tiger.

"Professor Tiger" would wear scholar's robes and glasses with a pipe, and carry a Shillelagh.

For fun he would sometimes make appearances in town with his hands positioned backwards (rakshasa style).

That's awesome! I'm currently running a Kitsune Wizard. And I have taken Nine-Tails Inheritor. I took the spell Fly as soon as I hit 5th, and I'm going large on Item Crafting Feats. All I need now is a blue hedgehog as a familiar.

I don't think Tongues would work, as while it doesn't say anything explicitly about needing to be able to speak already to use it, it does say you can't communicate with those races who don't speak. So it's iffy. Telepathy with Permanancy would work, or a Helm of Telepathy, for communicating, but if you wanted to play a caster, you'd be stuck. No somatic components already cuts out most Arcane classes, but can you use telepathy to cast verbal components?

Hereticus

First Post
Another useful druid spell is Beastspeak (10 minutes per level).
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beastspeak

When you're in the form of an animal (such as when you are using wild shape or are affected by a polymorph effect), you can speak normally, including when you cast spells with verbal components, and you sound like your normal self when you speak. You can cast this spell while in animal form, using animal-appropriate somatic components.

However I do not believe you can make a creature speak who has never spoken before.
For that you would need the fifth level druid spell Awaken, which should also work on magical beasts.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/awaken

You awaken a tree or animal to human-like sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the animal's current HD, or the HD the tree will have once awakened). The awakened animal or tree is friendly toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a creature you awaken, although it serves you in specific tasks or endeavors if you communicate your desires to it. If you cast awaken again, any previously awakened creatures remain friendly to you, but they no longer undertake tasks for you unless it is in their best interests.

An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6. An awakened plant gains the ability to move its limbs, roots, vines, creepers, and so forth, and it has senses similar to a human's.

An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal). An awakened animal can't serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any). This spell does not function on an animal or plant with an Intelligence greater than 2.

Magical beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2 (in which case the magical beast knows at least one language, but can't necessarily speak). Magical beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but are sometimes merely bizarre in appearance or habits.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts

Last edited:

Hereticus

First Post
I'm going large on Item Crafting Feats.

Add the spell storing (+1) feature to your armor, and imbue it with second level Vine Strike.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vine-strike

Bristles burst from your body, lodging in your opponent and blossoming into entangling vines as you pummel your target.

While this spell is in effect, your natural attacks and unarmed attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of damage, and any creature hit by your natural or unarmed strike must succeed at a Reflex save or be entangled for the duration of the spell. A creature entangled by this spell can spend a standard action to remove the vines but can be entangled again by further unarmed strikes.

Plus permanent Expeditious Retreat? :)

Unfortunately Awaken explicitly works on Animals and Plants. But Beastspeak, that could work! At least in combination with Imbue with Spell Ability.

Imbue with Spell Ability (Cleric 4)

You transfer some of your currently prepared spells, and the ability to cast them, to another creature. Only a creature with an Intelligence score of at least 5 and a Wisdom score of at least 9 can receive this boon. Only cleric spells from the schools of abjuration, divination, and conjuration (healing) can be transferred. The number and level of spells that the subject can be granted depends on its Hit Dice; even multiple castings of imbue with spell ability can't exceed this limit.

HD of Recipient Spells Imbued
2 or lower One 1st-level spell
3–4 One or two 1st-level spells
5 or higher One or two 1st-level spells and one 2nd-level spell

A Pegasus has 4HD and standard stats: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13. But as a PC it would have at least 1 class level giving it 5HD.

The spell is cleric only, but cast of a scroll, it's divine magic and therefore a Druid could cast it.

So the Druid uses the scroll of Imbue, then uses it to grant a casting of Beastspeak to the pegasus, then you'd need a sorcerer or wizard to cast Permanency.

Remove ads