The Facebook of the Dead

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
People should be making electronic wills. A list of all accounts and passwords a person possess so that their relatives will be able to access them and close them if need be.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've actually been driving my parents to do this, although, honestly, not because they're making their new wills, but because one of them keeps forgetting passwords. Both of them- and myself, TBH, now have notebooks into which all passwords are being copied.

But I DO make sure they safeguard those books as much as possible. They're literally kept under lock & key.

Kramodlog

I've actually been driving my parents to do this, although, honestly, not because they're making their new wills, but because one of them keeps forgetting passwords. Both of them- and myself, TBH, now have notebooks into which all passwords are being copied.

But I DO make sure they safeguard those books as much as possible. They're literally kept under lock & key.

I do wonder if my kids will read my old emails once I'm dead. They might be put off by dead baby jokes, friends talking about their infidelities and my involvement in 9/11 starting a garden.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can almost guarantee you they will read them. Some of them, at a least- they're going to want to know who they need to tell about your demise, for one. And they will be looking for any communications with brokers, accountants, etc. to make sure they've got a handle on the complete estate.

There are ways to minimize this, of course, like letting your kids know who your brokers & accountants are, for one. Hell- I'm a signatory on many of my parents' accounts.

Janx

Hero
That which cannot die can eternal "like", apparently. Facebook has millions of pages whose owners have died which have not been taken down, and the number of such pages apparently grows at @8k/day.

So, be careful what you post...your Facebook page could be a digital headstone that depicts you in a way you might not want to be remembered.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160313-the-unstoppable-rise-of-the-facebook-dead

So how much of this is a problem? Granted, for the millenials, who've posted every embarassing thing about themselves before they turned 22, that stuff wil be there when they are 80 and dead.

But for the rest of us who were a bit more circumspect in what we posted, then what remains online isn't all that bad for our ancestors to find.

Kramodlog

I can almost guarantee you they will read them. Some of them, at a least- they're going to want to know who they need to tell about your demise, for one. And they will be looking for any communications with brokers, accountants, etc. to make sure they've got a handle on the complete estate.

There are ways to minimize this, of course, like letting your kids know who your brokers & accountants are, for one. Hell- I'm a signatory on many of my parents' accounts.

My will is already in order and the appropriate people have the right information. But I'm a responsable person with education and some money at my disposal. The people who do not have/can't afford a will are the ones who will not have an electronic will.

Ryujin

Legend
When I'm dead, what I've said won't exactly matter to me anymore. The only real worry is if I've somehow left behind some little time bombs, which could hurt someone else.

Remove ads