How do you fit monks into Occidental campaigns?

pawsplay

Hero
It astounds me that people think like this. It's easy to say you'd be amused from a place of privilege. As an Asian dnd player, I can tell you most assuredly the monk is no walk in the park.

The class is tolerable. People doing terrible racist accents and playing up stereotypes while playing that class isn't. :rant:

I'm not even Asian, and I can't figure out what's up with sticking Okinawan weapons, samurai throwing stars, and a made up Malaysian weapon from the Palladium Book of Exotic Weapons and giving them to Cain from kung fu, to represent legendary Asia in fantasy. I mean, seriously, and no spears or curved broadswords, either?

What D&D needs is a Brother Man class that wields zulu spears, khopeshes, pool cues, and five-bladed swords.

Ok, time for me to walk away from the thread... :)

Because people doing terrible racists accents and playing up stereotypes while playing dwarves as A-OK.

No it's not but I'm not British, if a Brit found it offensive then it's on him to speak up. However, you're barking up the wrong tree as I've never play a Dwarf or had one in a campaign that I've run. I have, on numerous occasions, had to sit through offensive behaviour in fear of being "the over-sensitive minority".

Whereas the cool thing (well interesting) is that the Monks in Greyhawk, IIRC, are blond haired blue eyed quasi Aryan-supremacists! ADnD Greyhawk Monks were my first Monks -weren't they Mystics or some-such in BECMI? I haven't my book in front of me.

Anyway, OnT, I have no problem including Monks in my otherwise 100% western European DnD games. Cos as Pawsplay says, polytheism and western Europe do not mix. If there was polytheism throughout western Europe's history it would not look at all like the middle ages as I play it (or it actually was). I let it ride. It is a game.

And I like Monks. And Bards. And Half-orc Fighter-Assassins.

There is room for all.

Rassilon

First Post
No it's not but I'm not British, if a Brit found it offensive then it's on him to speak up. However, you're barking up the wrong tree as I've never play a Dwarf or had one in a campaign that I've run. I have, on numerous occasions, had to sit through offensive behaviour in fear of being "the over-sensitive minority".

And now you've offended all the British people. Because everyone knows that Dwarves are Scottish; and the Britains who aren't Scottish are offended at being confused with Scottish, and the Scots are offended at being labelled merely 'British'...

prosfilaes

Adventurer

I see your behavior as unproductive; you see no need to stand up for others, and you refuse to stand up for yourself, so nothing will ever change. And by requiring a person of that minority to stand up for themself, you're letting this behavior become normalized in society and making anyone who complains seem to be that over-sensitive minority.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
And now you've offended all the British people. Because everyone knows that Dwarves are Scottish; and the Britains who aren't Scottish are offended at being confused with Scottish, and the Scots are offended at being labelled merely 'British'...

Amongst Brits I know, Dwarves are more likely to have Russian accents than Scottish. In my last campaign all Dwarves had Klingon accents and culture.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Amongst Brits I know, Dwarves are more likely to have Russian accents than Scottish. In my last campaign all Dwarves had Klingon accents and culture.

Were they modeled after Original Series Klingons, or Next Gen/Movie Klingons...or is that something you don't talk about...?;)

...and I almost forgot - In Russia, accent has you...:p

:D

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If you're running a 'western setting' but you have a large coastal city, then include a 'china town' neighborhood of 'chinese' immigrants, and get some monk love in that way. I've done that for several campaign.

GP

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I find it horrifyingly hilarious that people are jumping on a guy who literally just said "Yeah I'm asian and it's incredibly horrible when people turn the monk into a racist stereotype."

Seriously? We're going to get mad at someone for saying "Yo don't be racist?"

Remove ads