Limiting Pregen Choices

DocSharpe

Explorer
So the DMs in my store have been discussing pregens with me. Specifically what pregens we offer to new players.

The concern is that the spellcasting classes (cleric, wizard) are more complicated than a fighter or a rogue, and the DMs often find that unless the person shows up early enough for someone to go through the spells with them, that they become a disruption of the game (by pulling frequently the attention of 2-3 other players) or that someone else essentially runs their character for them.

Obviously, new players need someone to help them figure out the rules. And when the person shows up 20-30 minutes early, it's never a problem because we can sit down with them and figure out what appeals to them, and what rules they have to understand.

But the question the DMs have been asking me is "Should we be limiting a new player's character choices when WE are giving them a character?" On one extreme, I've got one DM who believes everyone should get a stock fighter for their first game, because it helps them learn the basics, and with AL rules, they can rebuild the character after the first game. On the other, I've got a DM who believes that this feels elitist, and that it may turn off new players (especially those who may have come to the table with an idea of what they want to play).

We've had a mixed bag of new players recently. On one hand, we had someone whose never played pen and paper RPG, but took to it like a fish in water. On the other, we have a player who took a cleric pregen, and 6 games later still has trouble finding his "to-hit" and "damage" bonuses, and won't look up his own spells because he's become accustomed to other people telling him what his spells do and helping him run his character.

There's not going to be a single good answer because a lot will depend on the person. But what do other DMs do when the person walks in right at game start and needs a character?

RobotElder

First Post
A spellcaster is generally fine as a pregen for new players provided there character's spells are pre-chosen and on a printout for the player.

The one class I would definitely avoid, though, is the druid. Between spellcasting and wildshape, druids are terribly complicated and can be major trouble for new players. Unfortunately druids seem to be like catnip to new player... something about nature, animals, magic! lures them to druids.

And finally: NO PRESTIDIGITATION. It's too much of an "omni power" that new players often think is the solution to everything. Attacked by an ogre? "can I use prestidigitation to pull his hat over his eyes? How about I make his club stinky so he drops it. I turn his belt into a snake. I make my eyes glow to scare him. I make a hand appear to slap him...."

DocSharpe

Explorer
A spellcaster is generally fine as a pregen for new players provided there character's spells are pre-chosen and on a printout for the player.

The one class I would definitely avoid, though, is the druid.

Two thoughts.
1) We use the pregens provided in the Basic Set or by the AL, neither of which provide spell descriptions. We do have copies of the Basic Rules available, which include all those spells. If you've got someone in your store enhancing the pregen offerings, good on you guys. We don't

2) We also don't offer pregens for classes not in the Basic Rules. The thought is that telling someone "Congrats, you leveled up! You need a $40-50 book to continue" either turns people off, or encourages people to use the store as a library (Which isn't always appreciated). If someone finds a new friend who is willing to share their book or they want to use the SRD, great...but that's not our baseline.

Anthraxus

Explorer
I usually tell new players that they can pick whatever pregen they want to play, noting that Wizards & Clerics are more complicated, and suggest Fighter or Rogue.

If there are veteran players, I ask them to help out with spells if the newb needs help as a Wizard or Cleric.

I tell them, no matter what, you can rebuild up until level 5. I can't imagine telling anyone that they can "only play a Fighter".

Anything that is legal in AL to play has to be accepted by the DM IF the player wants to play it or use it. Howeer, if a new player does not ask about the more "complicated" stuff, or ask to start with a more complex character, the DM is not required to offer it as an option.

DocSharpe

Explorer
Anything that is legal in AL to play has to be accepted by the DM IF the player wants to play it or use it. Howeer, if a new player does not ask about the more "complicated" stuff, or ask to start with a more complex character, the DM is not required to offer it as an option.

So the question of what's legal in AL isn't really relevant, because this wouldn't be a case of saying no to something...this is a question of what other DMs make available to new players.

Are you saying that you only present the "simpler" pregens unless someone asks for a spellcaster? I think that's at the heart of my original question, because I'm curious not only what people have done, but how its been received.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Players are a pretty good judge of what they can play properly and what they would struggle to play. I think you are going too far in the 'Some players are Idjits' territory here.

delericho

Legend
Obviously, new players need someone to help them figure out the rules. And when the person shows up 20-30 minutes early, it's never a problem because we can sit down with them and figure out what appeals to them, and what rules they have to understand.

But the question the DMs have been asking me is "Should we be limiting a new player's character choices when WE are giving them a character?"

I think you've got a pretty good handle on it - if a new player shows up early enough to have the rules explained, let them choose any pre-gen. If they show up at the start time and without a character, offer them only 'simple' characters for the first time out.

Obviously, if they show up with their own character, they get to play that regardless, so none of the AL rules about allowed options are being broken - you haven't disallowed any options, you're just not letting the player use some of your pre-gen characters. (And if they really object, they're free to create their own character...)

Remove ads